The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Don't Need More Starters

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 207 Times in 116 Posts
    Good take, Nick. The Twins need evaluate the players they currently have and who will play a role going forward. If we were closer to competiveness, I'd be more for taking flyers on these guys.

3. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-05-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quite likely information planted by player agents.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have the salary space to out incentivize almost everyone in the league. Signing Santana to a minor league contract would have been low risk, high reward, whatever way you slice it.

Remove the theory that the Twins may have too much starting pitching at the major league level. Santana was going to have to prove himself in the minors first, well below the MLB logjam. Oops. The Twins may not need more starters, but Rochester is not Minnesota. In short, the Twins organization missed an opportunity, plain and simple.

How much fun would it have been to watch Santana reach and exceed all of the bonuses in an incentive-laden contract with the Minnesota Twins? Nope. Not going to happen. We just took strike three, looking.

6. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

shs_59 (03-05-2014)

I'm feeling your vibe. I really like the Hughes signing, think he will establish himself as a 15 game winner.....consistently. Pelfrey feels to me like the stud the Mets had. I have always liked the way Deduno is fearless on the bump. If Worley can find consistency the Twins can string together some quality starts. And that is when streaks happen. Yea it's only spring but we are tied for first!!!

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    I also agree. One more acquisition will be too much.

This will be said a lot in the coming weeks, but barring an unpleasant surprise, Gibson needs to start. The AAA staff and the rest of the organization have done all they can with him. It's got to be up to the major league coaching staff now to get him on track. Last year, it was the right call, to start him in Triple A, but not this year, even if it means skipping some Correia/Pelfrey turns early or sending one of those guys to the bullpen.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With all respect DFGG, I think you are vastly overrating Santana's potential this year. He's 35 and his shoulder is fried. I'd rather give the playing time to any number of decent arms 10 years younger.

The Twins paid Rich Harden a salary last year to rehab his shoulder and never pitch in a game (he was coming off the same surgery Santana just had for a second time, BTW). They also paid Mike Pelfrey $4 million to essentially work through his Tommy John rehab on the field.

I can't blame them for passing on Santana. If he does miraculously manage to come back and pitch effectively, they can take a shot at him next year. Money will be no object.

10. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (03-05-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree with this article. If the Twins are going to add anyone, they should be adding another bat, not an arm.

12. This user likes J-Dog Dungan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-05-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like what I saw from Gibson in his last outing, ball moving all over. I'd love to keep Gibson in the rotation and maybe put Worley in the pen. I'm also beginning to think that Pressly may get sent to Rochester. Pen of Perk, Burton, Fien, Swarzak, Thielbar, Duensing and Worley. Leaves Deduno and Diamond the odd men out.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Yup, we already have Correia hogging a spot that might better be served to play someone that we can "figure out what you've got". We don't need a couple left-handed Correia's added to the pile too.

15. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-05-2014)

We would all love to see Gibson but we can't just dump Deduno or Worley without getting value in return. Maybe they can deal Correia at the end of spring training or shorty after. However, it that does not happen, I hope and believe the F/O will give Gibson a month or two in AAA while they find a reasonable return for either Deduno or Worley.

The situation will resolve itself. There will be a market for Deduno and/or Worley if they perform well. If not, go ahead a turn them loose for whatever you can get and bring up Gibson. Personally, I think Deduno could be our 2nd best starter. The best case scenario in my mind is that they all perform and Correia is traded at the end of spring training. Deduno and Gibson start with Worley going to the pen. Worley can be the spot starter and perhaps be traded at the deadline for value. Darnell takes over for Worley.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 03-05-2014 at 06:52 AM.

I've been lurking around this site for not quite a year and have to say thank you guys for all the work, enthusiasm and knowledge! Not much of a gusher (could be that spring thing) but this site is up to #2 on my rotation. If you are unsure of how good this site is just read a couple of comments after a Len3 article in the Strib....yuck. Well I thought we might see something from Worley he is a guy we should hang onto because of his youth and track record. Don't think Diamond has the talent to hang with this group. I like Correa because he seems mentally strong enough to get the most out of his talent, but if Worley Deduno and Gibby are all looking good I agree he should be traded.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley has been in the pen before and I believe that is where he will be to start. Pressly will be sent to Rochester because he has options until the Twins sort out the logjam. Do not know if Gibson will win the 5th spot, my guess is Deduno and Gibson will come up after some trades are made. Twins have to be careful not to give away major league talent for long range(chancy) prospects, but TR has been known to get good value in these trades.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    The Twins have numbers. I'm not sure about the quality of those numbers.

If a better option became available, they should absolutely add another starter. Saunders doesn't do anything for me, but Santana would have at least piqued my interest as a fan. If the Twins had signed Santana to a minor league deal instead of the Orioles, I wouldn't have criticized them for adding to an already crowded starter pool.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 380 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    Remove the theory that the Twins may have too much starting pitching at the major league level. Santana was going to have to prove himself in the minors first, well below the MLB logjam. Oops. The Twins may not need more starters, but Rochester is not Minnesota. In short, the Twins organization missed an opportunity, plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I can't blame them for passing on Santana. If he does miraculously manage to come back and pitch effectively, they can take a shot at him next year. Money will be no object.
    Who says the Twins passed on Santana? I find it more likely he passed on them. All his bonuses with the Orioles revolve around him making the team and number of starts he makes at the MLB level. Because of the ten or so options for the Twins five rotation spots, I'd think Santana would think twice about coming here if all offers were similar.

I don't think the Twins had a chance to sign Santana considering he'll have a much eaiser time hitting his incentives, and likely a quicker shot at redemption with the Orioles.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 03-05-2014 at 08:46 AM.

21. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (03-05-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    They don't need more old players blocking possible future players at AAA and the MLB level. It is hard to understand how this is even up for debate at this point. Another year of not knowing if these guys are part of the future would be bad. At some point, you need to test these guys.
    Lighten up Francis....

23. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-05-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wabene View Post
    Not much of a gusher but this site is up to #2 on my rotation.
    Who is #1?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yup, we already have Correia hogging a spot that might better be served to play someone that we can "figure out what you've got". We don't need a couple left-handed Correia's added to the pile too.
    Which pile is that?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    The Twins paid Rich Harden a salary last year to rehab his shoulder and never pitch in a game (he was coming off the same surgery Santana just had for a second time, BTW). They also paid Mike Pelfrey $4 million to essentially work through his Tommy John rehab on the field.
    Harden's salary was minimal -- like Santana, the reported value of his contract was contingent on him reaching MLB.

The $3 mil base if he makes MLB seems steep, but maybe he is closer than most of us think?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    They don't need more old players blocking possible future players at AAA and the MLB level. It is hard to understand how this is even up for debate at this point. Another year of not knowing if these guys are part of the future would be bad. At some point, you need to test these guys.
    The main problem in how the Twins are handling all of this is that many of their "possible future players at AAA and the MLB level" are now also getting old (with their birthday age in 2014), to wit:

Deduno 31
    Vasquez 32
    Johnson 30
    Pino 30
    Diamond 28
    Turpen 28
    Watts 27
    Thompson 27
    Worley 27
    The "Youngish" Kyle Gibson 27

And yet, there is still fretting about the burning of service time. It's as if they're afraid of being stuck with multiple Nick Blackburns.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-05-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast