Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: MLB Trade Rumors: Twins Offseason in Review

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts

MLB Trade Rumors: Twins Offseason in Review

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...medium=twitter

Overall assessment seems pretty fair.

I am looking forward to Mauer proving the doubters wrong and putting the "catcher unable to transition" garbage to rest.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Hard to disagree with any of that, actually.
    Lighten up Francis....

3. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I am looking forward to Mauer proving the doubters wrong and putting the "catcher unable to transition" garbage to rest.
    I didn't read the Stark article, but I would imagine that the majority of those "catchers" weren't able to transition because they were either:
    1. Not good enough offensively to stick at a corner OF/1B position.
    2. Broken down.
    3. Both

Mauer obviously is good enough offensively to stick anywhere and be an asset, I think his production is actually going to improve a bit, and even if it stays flat, a 140-150 OPS+ will play anywhere.

While Mauer has had his share of injuries, he is hardly "broken down" he is making the move because of a concern re: concussions, not because his knees are shot or legs aren't working. While he will never be a speed threat it should be noted that Mauer even at catcher didn't hurt the Twins on the base-paths as fangraphs is able to back up and he was certainly able to leg out enough doubles over the years.

I think Stark does great work, and I am not dismissing his study, in fact I am a big believer in looking at historical data, though as we have learned over the years, that data helps us predict what will happen with the majority of players (95% of them) its the 1% of them (Mauer) who have played the game who bend the rules.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think Stark does great work, and I am not dismissing his study, in fact I am a big believer in looking at historical data, though as we have learned over the years, that data helps us predict what will happen with the majority of players (95% of them) its the 1% of them (Mauer) who have played the game who bend the rules.

It's sort of similar in that regard to the historical data that show a stratospheric failure rate of drafting high school catchers. Again, if anyone is to buck the trend, it'd be Joe Mauer.