Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mason: Exclusive Q&A with Rob Antony

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mason: Exclusive Q&A with Rob Antony

http://msn.foxsports.com/north/story...-antony-030514

FSN's Tyler Mason just posted an exclusive Q&A with Twins assistant (and active) GM Rob Antony. There are some terrific nuggets in here. Check it out and comment.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    The number 5 starter would appear to be Worley's tp lose. Deduno might make it as a bullpen pitcher.
    None of the players battling for a roster spot have stood out in Anthony's eyes yet.
    It is way to early though to make any decisions and nobody is making it easy to make that decision.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    "Each guy's a little different. No. 1, (Vance) Worley showed up and he was in good shape, so he's given himself a chance and he's throwing the ball well. (Scott) Diamond, you're looking for a little better command and control. He's only had a two-inning stint so far. . . . (Samuel) Deduno showed what he's shown so much in the past. Unfortunately, he was 44 pitches deep in less than two innings (Tuesday). That's always been a challenge for him. If he's going to be one of the starters, you can't have a guy at 100 pitches in the fourth inning. It just wears out your bullpen. So we'll see. That's one outing for him. But those are the three guys. I thought (Kyle) Gibson threw the ball very well the other day. He had a very good angle and sink on his fastball and threw strikes. His control's probably better than his command right now, but it's early in camp. Kris Johnson, another guy that has a chance, has thrown the ball well, albeit in a little bit shorter stint. He just went an inning last time but he's done a nice job, as well."
    I agree that this quote makes it seem that Worley is the front-runner. I saw him pitch the other day, and (extreme small sample size warning) he looks good. There was also a nugget in there about Deduno commonly finding himself in high pitch counts early, which I think is a legitimate criticism.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    My impression is the same as both of you, that they like Worley and Gibson, and Deduno is ticketed for the pen. Antony suggests the Twins will let the spring develop and not make any decisions on the fifth spot before they have to, which is a course of action I can't find fault with. By my reading, the chances are slim to none they are planning to deal Correia.

Very little discussion of the offense or position battles in this particular piece.

Antony expresses the concern for Terry Ryan, his health and recovery above all else, and I sense an underlying current in the article about how much Ryan really means to the team in a pure baseball sense. Overall some very good nuggets but nothing earth moving like what is coming from Berardino (does the Strib cover spring training anymore or did they get hit with the budget axe this year - j/k.)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    My impression is the same as both of you, that they like Worley and Gibson, and Deduno is ticketed for the pen. Antony suggests the Twins will let the spring develop and not make any decisions on the fifth spot before they have to, which is a course of action I can't find fault with. By my reading, the chances are slim to none they are planning to deal Correia.

Very little discussion of the offense or position battles in this particular piece.

Antony expresses the concern for Terry Ryan, his health and recovery above all else, and I sense an underlying current in the article about how much Ryan really means to the team in a pure baseball sense. Overall some very good nuggets but nothing earth moving like what is coming from Berardino (does the Strib cover spring training anymore or did they get hit with the budget axe this year - j/k.)
    Good get. Phil Miller was as productive as Berardino a year ago- now the Strib's best coverage this year is coming from whatever they pilfer from Twins Daily!.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    I just get annoyed every time he mentions Kris Johnson or Ryan mentions Eric Fryer.

Also annoys me at their Deduno resistance. I don't understand why they seem to prefer guys who go maybe one or two outs deeper into a game on occasion but give up one or two more runs than Deduno. He and Albers were the only two Twins starters to average six innings per start last season.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Good get. Phil Miller was as productive as Berardino a year ago- now the Strib's best coverage this year is coming from whatever they pilfer from Twins Daily!.
    it was sort of a cheap shot at the Strib and I'm not proud.. :/ ...Most of it has to do with their firewall and not Miller, Len, or Souhan (who has the phenomenal feature on Buxton). And Berardino is fantastic.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some notes from down here:

1. I don't think Worley is in the lead for that 5th spot. I think it's Diamond. I wasn't at this interview, but that's my rough perception. I don't know what it's based on, other than they had Diamond go early in ST and Worley very late.

2. Deduno: It seems like he has an ice pack on his shoulder every morning. All protestations to the contrary, I don't know that anyone really believes he is or can stay healthy. We'll see after this round of starts, but I think this is a two-man competition.

3. What struck me is that Antony specifically wonders about who will win out in center field. Huh? That's a 2-man competition and one of those guys crashed and burned hard. Could Aaron Hicks really be the starter again this year? I wouldn't have thought so, but after reading this, I wonder.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    3. What struck me is that Antony specifically wonders about who will win out in center field. Huh? That's a 2-man competition and one of those guys crashed and burned hard. Could Aaron Hicks really be the starter again this year? I wouldn't have thought so, but after reading this, I wonder.
    Have you seen Presley "play" this spring?
    Who makes the Twins better: A Hicks on top of his game or Presley on top of his?
    If they do anything, they need to hand the job to Hicks again and let Presley and Mastro and Ramirez fight it for the last bench spot.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

10. These 2 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-06-2014), cmathewson (03-06-2014)

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I hope there's a CF "competition" in name only, and the Twins have already written in Hicks...in permanent ink pen, not pencil.

Hicks has a chance at becoming a good major leaguer. I doubt the chances of any of the other "options." Let him play.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

12. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-06-2014), birdwatcher (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think anyone can disagree that Hicks' ceiling is higher than his supposed competition for CF. I guess the only thing to determine, then, is what you believe is the most effective route to get Hicks performing closer to his ceiling than he has to date.

If you think he's got a good chance not to crash and burn at the MLB level again, you give Hicks the job and let him work on improving by seeing more big league pitches.

But if he looks overmatched all during ST against pitchers that may not even be on a MLB roster, you probably start him at AAA until he finds his stroke there. In that event, it's really a case of the other two guys competing with one another while Hicks is essentially competing with himself.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

14. These 4 users like Jim Crikket's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-06-2014), Blackjack (03-06-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (03-06-2014), Halsey Hall (03-06-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 855 Times in 551 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    it was sort of a cheap shot at the Strib and I'm not proud.. :/ ...Most of it has to do with their firewall and not Miller, Len, or Souhan (who has the phenomenal feature on Buxton). And Berardino is fantastic.
    Agreed, some of Souhan's best work. I was more referring to the everyday beat guys, not the guy looking for his next column. I disagree there, too many times, it feels like the daily reports are phoned in from the golf course or the bar stool.

Agreed on Berardino, too.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I stopped reading the STrib. LENIII is great, super honest and fun, on the radio, but his stories on the STrib read like PR releases from the Twins, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I hope there's a CF "competition" in name only, and the Twins have already written in Hicks...in permanent ink pen, not pencil.

Hicks has a chance at becoming a good major leaguer. I doubt the chances of any of the other "options." Let him play.
    I agree. Dozier crashed and burned in 2012. They not only inked him in at the top of the order last year, they made him change positions. That turned out OK. I think they'll treat Hicks in much the same way. He's too valuable to be in AAA at this point, given the other options.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

18. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-06-2014), mike wants wins (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Some notes from down here:

1. I don't think Worley is in the lead for that 5th spot. I think it's Diamond. I wasn't at this interview, but that's my rough perception. I don't know what it's based on, other than they had Diamond go early in ST and Worley very late.
    Interesting, 'cause Antony only said negative things about Diamond in this interview. When a command and control pitcher "needs to work on his command and control" it's not exactly a ringing endorsement.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rest of his interview was fine, but the part at the beginning bothered me a little.

All the things that you deal with and I probably didn't notice Terry having to deal with, a lot of the media things as well as communicating with (manager Ron Gardenhire) and different players in different situations and everything and just kind of looking at things from a broader perspective rather than just coming in and worrying about getting my zero to three contracts done.
    If Antony is the heir-apparent at GM, this is somewhat negative evidence of his 1) being groomed for the role, and 2) having the fire in his belly that would make him already so eager for a GM position somewhere that he's been thinking in depth about how he'd handle the media and dealing with the manager and so forth.

It's admirable to have an organization filled with people who know their roles and do them well, but at the same time a little ambition throughout the organization is desirable, and this snippet just seemed flat to me.

21. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-06-2014), Hosken Bombo Disco (03-06-2014), JB_Iowa (03-06-2014), mike wants wins (03-06-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The rest of his interview was fine, but the part at the beginning bothered me a little.

If Antony is the heir-apparent at GM, this is somewhat negative evidence of his 1) being groomed for the role, and 2) having the fire in his belly that would make him already so eager for a GM position somewhere that he's been thinking in depth about how he'd handle the media and dealing with the manager and so forth.

It's admirable to have an organization filled with people who know their roles and do them well, but at the same time a little ambition throughout the organization is desirable, and this snippet just seemed flat to me.

Agreed. Pretty mind boggling, actually. Maybe he's not the heir apparent? But if he wants to be, he should already have known this.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 79 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No offense to him, but I really hope Rob Antony is not the next GM. I really want some fresh blood in the organization. Had the Twins won anything besides a division tittle in the last 20+ years I might feel different. Problem is, they haven't and haven't really been close.

Diamond- really shouldn't ever need to start again. His decent year was a fluke deal and should only be kept around to spot start.

Worley- its going to take a lot more than 20 innings in spring to convince me he can pitch at this level. In 50 innings last season he had a 7.21 ERA. Sure, he did alright the previous 2... he is still far from proven.

Hicks- most likely (unfortunately) the starter. Hopefully he can figure it out.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

24. These 2 users like Badsmerf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-06-2014), TheLeviathan (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 335 Times in 165 Posts
    A question and trying to not be a smart a**. Antony started out as an intern in the PR dept. Worked his way up over a lot of years. From what I can see he has never been a scout or player evaluation guy at any time. How do you get from the PR dept. to acting GM? Shouldn't there be some scouting or some kind of player eval type work along the way?

Was this what happened with Bill Smith? A money guy, no scouting background, his right hand man is Antony with no scouting background, is that why things didn't turn out great?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

26. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Blackjack (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post

I think you might be reading too much into it. He's probably fishing a little bit for things he can share with a reporter, and he related that observation. He very well has thought about those aspects of the job before, maybe even done them with TR to some extent, but they are probably quite different when you actually have to do them yourself (solo) for the first time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast