Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Pinto getting a fair shake?

Is Pinto getting a fair shake?

I ask because I check the box scores every day and it seems everyone and their mother is getting to play but him. What is going on?

2. This user likes Jim Labruno's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-05-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He had some lower back "tightness" in the beginning of ST so they are giving him a bit more of a rest... He has played exactly as many games as Suzuki and Fryer and one less than Herrmann (but Herrmann has played multiple positions)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos, not sure where you get your stats, but B-Ref has Suzuki with 3 GS so far, Fryer with 2, and Pinto with 1:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2014.shtml

Pinto also has the fewest PAs of that group.

I agree it's very early, but I think it's been pretty clear from a variety of sources that Suzuki is viewed as the primary starting catcher on this team, and we can safely infer that Pinto won't be a backup (or DH). So Pinto indeed may not get a "fair shake" this spring.

Yeah which is sad because lets face it Suzuki can not hit at all, And Pinto is currently the future at that position and should get a chance to prove it. The boy can flat out rake. And even though Herrman is playing other positions doubt they keep three guys who can catch. Herrman is kept they can use him all over and as second catcher. I mean I knew Suzuki would be the opening day guy. But we both know by mid season he will not be hitting and get replaced. Pinto deserves the playing time in Spring to show he is for real.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Even though the money was minimal with Suzuki, clearly they should have just gone with Pinto and Herrmann, with Fryer in AAA as emergency.

7. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Thrylos, not sure where you get your stats, but B-Ref has Suzuki with 3 GS so far, Fryer with 2, and Pinto with 1:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2014.shtml

Pinto also has the fewest PAs of that group.

I agree it's very early, but I think it's been pretty clear from a variety of sources that Suzuki is viewed as the primary starting catcher on this team, and we can safely infer that Pinto won't be a backup (or DH). So Pinto indeed may not get a "fair shake" this spring.
    I think he would have looked at the games plaid column, as that what was claimed.
    At this point does it really matter?

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Well, there was one today that Pinto was supposed to start. Obviously didn't happen because of the rain.

There are 2 games tomorrow and it doesn't look like Pinto is slated for either of them. Suzuki to start the "A" game with Rohlfing and Turner as backups. Kyle Knudson (I think) to start the "B" game with Chris Herrmann as back-up (I could be wrong on who is the starter there but those are the 2 with names highlighted for "B" game travel and Knudson has a red mark next to his name so I think that may make him the starter.)

Does kind of make you wonder why Pinto couldn't have traveled/played tomorrow unless they are still babying his back a little.

Edit: I'm wrong: Herrmann is starting the "B" game with Knudson as back-up.

In fairness, I think management puts these travel schedules together before the day's game so Pinto is probably not scheduled for tomorrow because he was supposed to start today.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 03-06-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Pinto is going to get plenty of chances to be the every day catcher for this team. If he doesn't start opening day people need to not freak out, if he does his job he will be the starter quicker then not. (I still think he cracks the opening day starting gig as long as he preforms half way decent in ST)
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Pinto is going to get plenty of chances to be the every day catcher for this team. If he doesn't start opening day people need to not freak out, if he does his job he will be the starter quicker then not. (I still think he cracks the opening day starting gig as long as he preforms half way decent in ST)
    Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel. I'd like to see Josmil crack the 25 man out of Ft Myers but if he doesn't, he'll be up soon enough.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    I don't have any basis for this other than wishful thinking, but I'm wondering if the Twins aren't talking about Suzuki as the starter in part to keep the pressure off Pinto this spring. I cannot imagine any motivation the Twins would have to give Pinto anything less than a fair shake. Why would they do that?

Well they need to let him on the field if he is going to make the team. Suzuki is a waste of time and not why a team in a semi rebuild mode would waste time not playing the youth to see who can give them what in the future.

With over three weeks of spring training left, don't you think those concerns are premature?

And if it's a waste of time to play Suzuki, would it not also be a waste of time to play Mauer, Perkins, and Nolasco?

Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    And if it's a waste of time to play Suzuki, would it not also be a waste of time to play Mauer, Perkins, and Nolasco?
    No because you listed 3 people who have proven to get the job done at a big league level. Suzuki has never done anything to warrant a starting job in the bigs except for his defense.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Labruno View Post
    No because you listed 3 people who have proven to get the job done at a big league level. Suzuki has never done anything to warrant a starting job in the bigs except for his defense.
    I highly doubt anyone in the Twins org expects him to be anything more than a temp starter at most.

Frankly, I would have been pretty confused if the Twins just handed the starting Catcher role (the guy taking over for one of the best C's in the history of the game) to a guy who at best has concerns about his defense, and has less than 100 at bats in the majors under his belt. Pinto is a nice prospect and all, and I think he can be a solid ML catcher, however he hasn't "earned" the de facto starting nod yet, let him earn it like all the other kids.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Signing Suzuki was necessary.

I hope Pinto does great but it's been one good September thus far. Go with the Vet and let Pinto run him over eventually. Pinto can use a little seasoning in AAA... If he cooks on the farm. He'll be the starter very soon.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

19. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (03-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Should a team projected for another losing season go with the certain mediocrity of a veteran or the uncertain upside of a 25 year old rookie?

It is not as clear at catcher with the added responsibility of working with a mostly veteran pitching staff.

i would go with upside and let the rookie catcher work with the veteran pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Should a team projected for another losing season go with the certain mediocrity of a veteran or the uncertain upside of a 25 year old rookie?

It is not as clear at catcher with the added responsibility of working with a mostly veteran pitching staff.

i would go with upside and let the rookie catcher work with the veteran pitchers.
    Did you enjoy the CF situation last year? Suzuki was brought in to give the team some depth. If Pinto struggles then the catcher situation for the Twins gets really ugly, really fast without Suzuki. I have no problem with Pinto catching half of the time this season as he adapts to the majors.

22. These 2 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-06-2014), Riverbrian (03-06-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

and that would be a fantastic ST story for sometime in mid to late march, about how Pinto and the other young catchers are connecting with the various older pitchers; throw in some nuance, good quotes, and behind the scene anecdotes. Strib?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Everything was predetermined long before spring training that pinto wasnt making the team. He's being punished for being too good a hitter, because surely a catcher who hits that good must be bad at handling pitchers. Antony was on the radio at the very beginning of ST saying Pinto was fat. He never had a chance.
    Does it really matter? The idea is once he makes it up, to stay up. 87 at bats is what it is, nothing more. Also, he never said Pinto was fat. The exact quote was pleasingly plump.

25. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-06-2014)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast