Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 142

Thread: Article: Twins Roster Projection 2.0

  1. #121
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I can't believe how fast people are willing to give up and declare Collabello a career minor leaguer. He hasn't even had consistent playing time in the majors. In his first stint he showed good power and the ability to hit the ball the other way. I couldn't believe there was talks of selling him to Korea so soon. He showed potential last season. Yes he is older than a typical rookie, but if you can get 3-4 years of solid contributions at a low dollar amount why not try?
    I was down on Colabello because I saw things in his swing that made him susceptible to pitchers who could exploit his weaknesses--the majority of major leaguers. But I've seen stuff this spring related to his offseason adjustments that are encouraging. So I hope they give him a shot.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  2. #122
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,725
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I mentioned it in detail here too, but I saw Florimon take exclusive batting practice from Miguel Sulbaran (who also is not allowed to play, because he showed up really overweight and the Twins want him to lose weight and condition himself to start) and it was a sad sight. He faced around 30 pitches or so, he made contact on only 2 and neither left the cage. One hit the top and another the back. I doubt that he is going to be ready. He has major timing issues and it is expected. At this point, his bat is like Bartlett's and that against A-level instead of AAAA level competition that Bartlett is facing. I think that the possibility of the Twins to start with Santana or Escobar as their opening day SS is pretty big. I have not seen Florimon field yet, maybe in an hour or so
    Thrylos, I have to ask you. Given that you've made some big news here, not only with Florimon, but with Sulbaran, also, did you happen to notice any media types in attendance at this BP session? What you're reporting is the exact opposite of the Twins "nothing to see here" party line, I'm interested if anyone else will be willing to buck that lne with these develoments. Obviously, it would be a huge story if Santana were made the opening day SS.

  3. #123
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,725
    Like
    870
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I was down on Colabello because I saw things in his swing that made him susceptible to pitchers who could exploit his weaknesses--the majority of major leaguers. But I've seen stuff this spring related to his offseason adjustments that are encouraging. So I hope they give him a shot.
    Dan Gladden mentioned that the Twins braintrust was concerned with Cola's ability to turn on a pitch, and requested that he focus in the offseason on pulling the ball a little more. I don't know if there's such a thing as a ST hitting spray chart, but in the times I've seen him this spring, his power still seems to be mainly in the RF/CF gap.

  4. #124
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,778
    Like
    664
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    I'm not holding my breath on Colabello. That HR he hit off Jake Brigham on Wednesday was a 90 mph fastball inner half, but he went the other way with it because, far as I can tell, he struggles to get around. I suspect he's swinging a gigantic bat, crossing his eyes, and hopes he connects. He's still standing 5 feet off the plate too. Maybe he can be a factor against garbage opposition but he will get pwned by anyone halfway decent, with that approach.

  5. #125
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,366
    Like
    413
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have a tough time believing Hicks will be here on opening day. I really want him to spend some time at Rochester. Not sure on Cola and Parmelee. I think Parmelee is the better bet to succeed long term, but I have to think that this will be his last shot. I wouldn't mind Cola as a late inning bench bat. None of the other bench options look like options if you need an offensive sub.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I have a tough time believing Hicks will be here on opening day. I really want him to spend some time at Rochester. Not sure on Cola and Parmelee. I think Parmelee is the better bet to succeed long term, but I have to think that this will be his last shot. I wouldn't mind Cola as a late inning bench bat. None of the other bench options look like options if you need an offensive sub.

    Anyone have any thoughts on Bigley for the 2014 season? Haven't heard much on him except for hitting two HRs yesterday to help Rochester win the game.
    Last edited by JustAFan; 03-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.

  7. #127
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,366
    Like
    413
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAFan View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on Bigley for the 2014 season? Haven't heard much on him except for hitting two HRs yesterday to help Rochester win the game.
    I honestly don't know. Probably a backup plan... I think he has options yet and isn't even on the 40 man.

  8. #128
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I have a tough time believing Hicks will be here on opening day. I really want him to spend some time at Rochester. Not sure on Cola and Parmelee. I think Parmelee is the better bet to succeed long term, but I have to think that this will be his last shot. I wouldn't mind Cola as a late inning bench bat. None of the other bench options look like options if you need an offensive sub.
    There's no one way to develop players. Some need to progress one level at a time. Others can skip levels. Those who skip levels tend to be the high upside guys. Mauer is the best example. The last guy they tried this with before Hicks was Dozier, which says something about their attitudes towards him. I always thought him more of a grinder. But he eventually made the grade after one failed year.

    So the question is whether Hicks is a high upside guy or a grinder? I fall in high upside camp. It seems the Twins do too, if I'm reading the line-up cards right. I think he learned everything he needs to learn to be successful up here last year. I know not everybody agrees. But I just don't see him needing more seasoning. If they had De Aza to hold down the fort until Hicks has filed off all his rough edges, I might think otherwise. But I'm willing to live with a few rough edges if it means not having to watch Presley every day.

    If he had major holes in his game, I would think differently. I would want him to work on those things in AAA for the sake of his development. I don't see any major holes. He has a good eye. He has shown an ability to make adjustments and be a bit more aggressive, when appropriate. He will never be a high contact guy, but that's not something you can teach. He will always need to rely on pitch selection, which is as it ever was for him. I have no qualms about his defense. He's still got stuff to learn. But so do most of the guys on the team.

    That's one of the reasons I love baseball so much--watching guys make adjustments so they can be more successful. If I'm going to invest in following a kid this way, I want him to have a chance at greatness. I think Hicks has that. If they sent him down, I would do a road trip or two to Rochester, just as I plan several such trips to New Britain (75 mins away) to watch Buxton. He's not in Buxton's class. But I think Hicks compares favorably to Torii Hunter.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  9. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (03-15-2014), Sconnie (03-15-2014)

  10. #129
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,089
    Like
    607
    Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshii View Post
    I just still don't know how this team is going to score runs. That's a terribly weak infield with Mauer being the only one who can do anything. How can you predict Dozier will have a year like he did before? Very low low power in the infield:/ I would like to ditch Plouffe and Florimon. And just because a player is out of options doesn't mean we HAVE to stick with them. Get rid of some of this dead weight (especially with our catcher options) I completely agree with thoughts about keeping Pinto up here and developing him...I only feel happy about our bullpen at this point.
    Would you go North with at 3rd and short? Waring and Santana?

  11. #130
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,089
    Like
    607
    Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    If he had major holes in his game, I would think differently. I would want him to work on those things in AAA for the sake of his development. I don't see any major holes. He has a good eye. He has shown an ability to make adjustments and be a bit more aggressive, when appropriate. He will never be a high contact guy, but that's not something you can teach. He will always need to rely on pitch selection, which is as it ever was for him. I have no qualms about his defense. He's still got stuff to learn. But so do most of the guys on the team.
    In my mind, the only larger development aspect left of Hicks' game is ability to hit big league pitching. Sure there are some fine tuning things to do on his defensive skills, but overall pretty tight.

    I too want Hicks to succeed as I think he and Buxton could be awesome in the outfield together. I would really like to see Wilkin Ramirez step up. I think he's got some ability to provide offensive speed and defense this season. Ramirez, Hicks, and Arcia in the outfield, Presley on the bench, and Hammer DH would improve the defense a lot.

  12. #131
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    301
    Like
    0
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Wilkin Ramirez in my opinion should step us and claim his rightful spot in Rochester's outfield, he does not belong in the Twins starting lineup. But of course Alex Presley should accompany him on the trip to Rochester as well.

  13. #132
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,813
    Like
    1,635
    Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    It's interesting to me that even after the fiery crash of Aaron Hicks last year, there's still belief that a handful of spring training at bats is a pretty useful tool to decide who makes the Opening Day lineup and roster, including...Aaron Hicks.

    He was overmatched in both MLB and AAA last year, and he didn't play winter ball. It's hard to see how 5 hits in 20 AB's (or 15 in 45, for that matter) provides any meaningful counter to the relatively substantial evidence that he's not ready yet.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-15-2014 at 03:38 PM.

  14. #133
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    197
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It's interesting to me that even after the fiery crash of Aaron Hicks last year, there's still belief that a handful of spring training at bats is a pretty useful tool to decide who makes the Opening Day lineup and roster, including...Aaron Hicks.

    He was overmatched in both MLB and AAA last year, and he didn't play winter ball. It's hard to see how 5 hits in 20 AB's (or 15 in 45, for that matter) provides any meaningful counter to the relatively substantial evidence that he's not ready yet.
    While I do agree with your assessment of Hicks, it isn't fair to say that he was overmatched at AAA. He was injured and then didn't get that many plate appearances. If memory serves, he played well in the playoffs, as well.

  15. #134
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    While I do agree with your assessment of Hicks, it isn't fair to say that he was overmatched at AAA. He was injured and then didn't get that many plate appearances. If memory serves, he played well in the playoffs, as well.
    Yes. When he came back healthy, he played well in AAA. Not reflected in the regular season stats. I don't know how many times I have to post this, but perhaps one more time will do the trick.

    OPS by month:

    April .356
    May .707
    June .708
    July .671

    Clete Thomas 2013 OPS: .597
    Alex Presley 2013 OPS: .699

    So from May to the end of the year, Aaron Hicks was the best center fielder on the Twins in 2013. And he didn't perform nearely as well as anybody expected. But he made an adjustment towards the end of April that carried through until they sent him down. He carshed and burned in his first 10 games. After that, he held his own.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  16. #135
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,778
    Like
    664
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Gardy gave AB's to 4 different CFers today and they're still carrying Ramirez too right? That's 5 CFers. I don't think the job is Hicks' to lose, for better or worse.

  17. #136
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Gardy gave AB's to 4 different CFers today and they're still carrying Ramirez too right? That's 5 CFers. I don't think the job is Hicks' to lose, for better or worse.
    Hicks has started four of the last five games. Presley has done nothing this spring. Ditto Mastro, who also earned the ire of Gardy by missing the cut- off man. Ramirez is not a center fielder. He's not much of an outfielder at all. Add to that the 40- man implications (sending Hicks down means adding Mastro to the 40 man), and I think the job is Hicks' to lose.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  18. #137
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    3,574
    Like
    197
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    32
    Spring training numbers mean very little. Hicks' 2013 spring should be a good example of that. Presley performed adequately last September and that pretty much provides him a roster spot and the inside track to starting the season as the starter in center. He hasn't closed the deal, but no one else has either.

  19. #138
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Spring training numbers mean very little. Hicks' 2013 spring should be a good example of that. Presley performed adequately last September and that pretty much provides him a roster spot and the inside track to starting the season as the starter in center. He hasn't closed the deal, but no one else has either.
    Spring training competition is kind of silly. Antony said they look at scouting more than numbers in the spring. "Is he taking good at bats? Is he throwing to the right base? Etc." Hicks was hurt and unable to show how he handles himself until Monday. While Hicks was hurt, Presley was the guy. According to reports, he didn't handle himself like he did last September. Since Hicks has come back, he's put together a lot of good at bats and flashed some leather. He'll need to keep doing that if he wants to make the team. But I think the job is his to lose.

    I also think you have to take the position in context. The Twins need two guys who can play center. Presley is one of those guys no matter what. The other guy is either Mastro or Hicks. If it's Hicks, he's the starter and Presley gives him a couple of days off a week. If it's Mastro, Presley's the starter and Mastro plays back-up. The team will take the best combination. The fact that neither Mastro nor Presley has played well yet is making that combo less likely by the day. Add Mastro's roster issue, and I'd say a Hicks/Presley combine is the odds-on favorite right now.

    One other thing on that. The Twins have said they are willing to give Hicks a mulligan on how he started. As bad as he played, he also was alone, because Mastro broke his leg on the last day of spring and they didn't put him on the DL until April 15 or something. So there was no one else to play center for the first 16 games. Normally, when a guy struggles, you give him a day off to clear his head. Hicks didn't have that luxury. He had to take his lumps. Gardy has alluded to the way he responded to this with praise.

    Finally, I wouldn't read too much into Presley's extended tryout in September. They try to that with every newly acquired player, to give the field staff a long look at the player heading into the offseason. The fact that Presley performed about as well as Hicks had prior to being sent down is not all that positive, especially since Presley was doing it in a low pressure situation. If he had hit like Pinto or something, I'd say give him the job until Hicks takes it from him. But he was just OK, with clearly less outfield range or arm than Hicks.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  20. #139
    Senior Member All-Star Sconnie's Avatar
    Posts
    1,089
    Like
    607
    Liked 391 Times in 259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Hicks has started four of the last five games. Presley has done nothing this spring. Ditto Mastro, who also earned the ire of Gardy by missing the cut- off man. Ramirez is not a center fielder. He's not much of an outfielder at all. Add to that the 40- man implications (sending Hicks down means adding Mastro to the 40 man), and I think the job is Hicks' to lose.
    I hope you are right on Hicks and that he not only gets the opening day CF assignment with the a Twins, but that he plays well and keeps it.

    Agreed that Ramirez is not a CF, but I thought he played LF pretty well. Very small sample since it was only a couple innings as a defensive sub, but he showed good speed and a good jump/route.

  21. #140
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,271
    Like
    241
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    I hope you are right on Hicks and that he not only gets the opening day CF assignment with the a Twins, but that he plays well and keeps it.

    Agreed that Ramirez is not a CF, but I thought he played LF pretty well. Very small sample since it was only a couple innings as a defensive sub, but he showed good speed and a good jump/route.
    With Mastro being sent out today, it makes the Hicks/Presley combo a near certainty. I too hope he plays well. As we saw last year, that is by no means certain. But the Twins give talented guys second chances. I think he'll be fine. He's too good a player to play like he did in April last year.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.