Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Roster Projection 2.0

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Santana option was my very first thought when Florimon's appendectomy was made public- it's a potential nice opportunity for both Danny and the Twins. And it doesn't have to be for the full 15 days. Have your heard anything Seth, about the possbility that the Twins might place Florimon on the DL sooner than March 31, to enable an earilier regular season debut?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Couple of thoughts as I leave. I think Diamond over Worley if it's close. We'll see how Worley does today. I think they trust Diamond more.

After Wed nights crapstorm, Gardy was really impressed with Tonkin. Something like "he threw the living expletive out of that ball."

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Couple of thoughts as I leave. I think Diamond over Worley if it's close. We'll see how Worley does today. I think they trust Diamond more.

After Wed nights crapstorm, Gardy was really impressed with Tonkin. Something like "he threw the living expletive out of that ball."
    Do you mean he's replaced the now-cliched "fire" adjective with something more colorful? New attitude, indeed!

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Also, no way on Santana. No way. Gardy likes what he's seen and apparently volunteered that early. But the reason you've heard so much about him was just a natural progression-
    1. Gardy mentioned him to Mike.
    2. Mike wrote a story on him so asked people about him
    3. just as the story was being run, Santana had a good game in late innings and demonstrated his speed, which led to more talk.

They like him. He might be Gardy's new Brian Dozierlike jones. But I don't see anyway they mess with him by promoting him no matter if Florimon is out or no.

I also believe you'll see Florimon in games soon and starting the season with the Twins, so I think it's a moot point.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    John, do you have any impressions or feelings that the 2 "losers" in the SP battle take the RP spots from T-Bar and Pressly, get traded or DFA'd, or go on the DL?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    so, 90+ losses three years in a row, and only 1 young player is added to the roster, and several that came up last year aren't on the roster? If Hicks and Arcia go down, and Gibson isn't up, that leaves Escobar as the only player to come up from the minors in the last two years. Pretty sad. They need to COMMIT to the rebuild. I really cannot understand how Kubel could be on this roster, and not Arcia. As the Gibson and Collabelo comments John reported show, these guys need to keep getting their feet wet.

8. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-07-2014)

Does Florimon have options? Why isn't Escobar being considered for the everyday shortstop job? He seems to have a better bat. And we need every bit of offense we can get.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    so, 90+ losses three years in a row, and only 1 young player is added to the roster, and several that came up last year aren't on the roster? If Hicks and Arcia go down, and Gibson isn't up, that leaves Escobar as the only player to come up from the minors in the last two years. Pretty sad. They need to COMMIT to the rebuild. I really cannot understand how Kubel could be on this roster, and not Arcia. As the Gibson and Collabelo comments John reported show, these guys need to keep getting their feet wet.
    I don't necessarily disagree, mike, but maybe I'm just feeling more patient. I'm a lot less concerned with what the roster looks like in April than I am with what it looks like in June, July and on. Regardless of where some of those young players start the season, I can't imagine a scenario where we don't see a lot of them for four months or so of the season. I'm OK with that. I just don't want to see them all sitting in Rochester all summer long while the "veterans" rack up 95 losses again.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

11. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-08-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Let's be fair, you forgot that "young" player they added most recently to the 40-man, Mike, 25 year old Brooks Raley- he's only a phone call away. The Twins Way has apparently become using up all of your AAAA players and value-less veterans until you can't squeeze one more dime out of their salaries, they even turned one of them into a $500, 000 dividend check in Albers and got a down-on-his-luck, end-of-the-line former 1st round SP by trade, and outrighted some of the dead weight- and they still didn't make room for one of the youngsters. Mind-boggling.

It looks like there's one more year of pretender-"squeezing" over prospect-developing.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I hate the idea that Pinto won't be coming north with the team. I see zero upside for Fryer/Herrmann and a real need to develop Pinto.

I agree with the status on the OF. But I'm really hoping Hicks makes the squad and starts in CF. Need his defense, and I think he'll adjust as a hitter, given the time.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    that's totally reasonable, Jim. I don't share your optimism that they will bench the vets. They didn't last year for Gibson, until too late imo, even though he was clearly better than all but 2 of the awful players they trotted out (maybe 3).

Half a year or more would be good. Less than that, like useless September callups when teams are filled with AAAA fodder, that does not interest me much.

Three awful years is really testing my patience. Good luck selling tickets to see awful veterans the first half of the year......losing a year of Sano is a huge blow. They really needed him to get his feet wet this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Niedermann View Post
    Does Florimon have options? Why isn't Escobar being considered for the everyday shortstop job? He seems to have a better bat. And we need every bit of offense we can get.
    Florimon does have options left, but Gardy has already designated him the opening day SS.

I agree. Arcia needs to be in the Twins roster and not sitting. Hicks, Gibson and potentially Meyer could go down and earn their promotion. If we are building towards a contending team in 2015 or 2016, guys need to be getting their feet wet. Guys like Parmalee and Plouffe need to show they are part of that team. Bartlett, Kubel and Willingham are just filler and if they don't show anything in Ft. Myers dump them.

I'm with mike, I don't share the optimism either. I don't see any reason at all to not have Gibson, Pinto, Hicks, Arcia & Parmalee in the lineup everyday from opening day. Give them quality games against major league hitters and pitchers. Everything they do should be focused entirely on having these guys, and the next wave of youth, ready to win in 2015 and beyond. Starting Suzuki, Presley and Diamond, even if they were any good, doesn't do that.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    John, do you have any impressions or feelings that the 2 "losers" in the SP battle take the RP spots from T-Bar and Pressly, get traded or DFA'd, or go on the DL?
    Really hard to say. They'll certainly try to keep them. That could be bad news, at least in the short term, for Tonkin & Thielbar. I wouldn't be shocked if they lose one of Worley, Diamond & Deduno. I will be shocked if they lose two.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Blog Entries
    It's certainly not crazy to think that Arcia, Pinto, Hicks & Gibson could continue to develop in AAA for at least a few months.

20. These 2 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-07-2014), Willihammer (03-07-2014)

I just still don't know how this team is going to score runs. That's a terribly weak infield with Mauer being the only one who can do anything. How can you predict Dozier will have a year like he did before? Very low low power in the infield:/ I would like to ditch Plouffe and Florimon. And just because a player is out of options doesn't mean we HAVE to stick with them. Get rid of some of this dead weight (especially with our catcher options) I completely agree with thoughts about keeping Pinto up here and developing him...I only feel happy about our bullpen at this point.
    Last edited by Yoshii; 03-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    "
    Really? Is that what the Twins think or what you think? I can see the Twins maybe trusting Diamond more but if they both have good springs, Worley has the better track record overall and I hope they go with him. However that leaves us with five righties I suppose.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's certainly not crazy to think that Arcia, Pinto, Hicks & Gibson could continue to develop in AAA for at least a few months.
    Arcia has had two AAA stints already, Gibson has been in AAA forever, and Pinto was destructive in the IL and performed much better than Fryer did there. A bottom of the barrel catcher like Suzuki shouldn't block a 24 year old with some all around potential. With Hicks, I can see why, but I feel like as old as he is that he should have his 2nd go soon. I wasn't largely in favor of sending him down to begin with and let's not forget that a lot of poor umpiring gave him a much bigger strike zone than he was used to.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast