Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this De Aza thing serious?

Is this De Aza thing serious?

Earlier in the off-season I believe I remember seeing something connecting the Twins loosely to Alejandro De Aza. Now there are reports of the Twins having "quite a few (De Aza) fans in Minnesota's front office." Is this a serious possibility or just more PR bullcrap? Would it even be smart to sign him into this cluttered outfield with Willingham, Presley, Hicks, Parmelee, Arcia ML ready and Buxton (please) only a year away?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    If the cost is right, go ahead and bring him in. He is a legit CF and has a league average bat. Once Buxton is ready you can trade him away.

Willingham should not be in the outfield and should be a DH, Parmelee shouldn't be blocking the Twins from bringing anyone in. I like Hicks a lot but he still may need some more time in AAA, the only real OF the Twins have at this point who should be starting everyday is Arcia.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

3. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-07-2014), raindog (03-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the one hand, yes, you should always consider any opportunity that you think could make your team better now or in the future and De Aza could do that.

But the Twins don't NEED him, so you would think other teams would be willing to give up a little more than the Twins would to get him.

Factor in the natural reluctance of most teams to trade MLB players within their own division and this comes out as highly unlikely to me.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It cant be. anything the twins would trade for him would be a downgrade in CF....and we have the best CF prospect in history outside of Mike Trout or Willie Mays working his way up. I dont see it happening

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 813 Times in 513 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't make sense from a need standpoint... That said, the Twins learned last offseason that CFs can get nice returns on the trade market, and developing decent center fielders is something Minnesota seems to do well. I'd go with the "cannot hurt".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    How low are the White Sox selling him? He seems like a pretty useful player, but like everyone else, I don't want to give the White Sox a legit prospect for a guy who will be gone/expendable in a year or two.

Though he may be a better leadoff option than anyone on the team currently, with some pop to boot. Don't really need another lefty though.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked De Aza, but we have the depth we need in the OF. Unless he's virtually free I wouldn't trade anybody for him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
    If they'd take Worley for him... I'm all for it...

10. These 4 users like gmarais66's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (03-10-2014), diehardtwinsfan (03-08-2014), snepp (03-07-2014), Trautmann13 (03-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts
    We have Hicks and Buxton for center fielders and I think in the end they both are as good or significantly better than De Aza. They could use him this year but would have to hope to buy low and then sell high to make this work. I don't see that happening.

I have to believe Chicago would want something significant to pull the trigger and I don't know why we would give them anything significant unless we really think the guy is ready to take off or something. We also have tons of options for players in left and right field. I doubt this happens.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    If the cost is right, go ahead and bring him in. He is a legit CF and has a league average bat. Once Buxton is ready you can trade him away.
    You almost made my head explode. My first reading was "Once Buxton is ready you can trade him [Buxton] away. After reading it a few more times, I figured out you meant to trade De Aza away, so I stopped hyperventilating.

No, you had it right the first time*
    *Just kidding. He didn't really say that.

13. This user likes gil4's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

eLee612 (03-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    If the Sox would take a lower level prospect along with one of the out of option starters I might be more interested. Helping clear up the Worley/Diamond/Deduno mess would be nice in itself. Probably have to give up a decent looking prospect to go along with the pitcher though.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    ^^^Whichever of those three pitchers mentioned leaving doesn't matter, it and they are still a mess. Just stick Gibson in the rotation and forget about the fifth rotation spot. Or does Gibson simply add to the mess? No one really knows yet about him but for sure we know about the other three, none of them would be considered in a rotation on any other MLB team. Oh maybe on their AAA teams they would be acceptable but that's about it.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Willingham should not be in the outfield and should be a DH, Parmelee shouldn't be blocking the Twins from bringing anyone in. I like Hicks a lot but he still may need some more time in AAA, the only real OF the Twins have at this point who should be starting everyday is Arcia.
    Agreed, also there's no guarantee with Hicks or Buxton and this target field outfield needs 2 good rangy outfielders and this team has zero depth.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    The Twins currently do not have any depth in the OF. In fact it's a position of weakness imo.

Opening day lineup
    Presley - CF
    Arcia - RF
    ? - LF
    Willingham - DH

This is pitiful despite Buxton coming up soon and there is still room in the OF especially since Willy is likely on the way out. Even if you're an optimist regarding Hicks there is still room in the OF for the next couple of seasons. And De Aza is sneaky good.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I've always liked De Aza, but we have the depth we need in the OF. Unless he's virtually free I wouldn't trade anybody for him.
    Mastrianni, Ramirez and Pressly, are not proven and are at best 4th outfielders. Willingham is a terrible fielder. Arcia at best is a right fielder but is unproven, Collabello and Parmellee are first basemen who try to play right field. Hicks and Buxton both have a lot of potential, but that's all. A lot of players, not much proven quality.

i like the idea of Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia in the outfield, but there are no guarantees with any of those three. De Aza would be good insurance at the right price.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Mastrianni, Ramirez and Pressly, are not proven and are at best 4th outfielders. Willingham is a terrible fielder. Arcia at best is a right fielder but is unproven, Collabello and Parmellee are first basemen who try to play right field. Hicks and Buxton both have a lot of potential, but that's all. A lot of players, not much proven quality.

i like the idea of Hicks, Buxton, and Arcia in the outfield, but there are no guarantees with any of those three. De Aza would be good insurance at the right price.

There's a fighting chance that Parmelee is a better RF than he is at 1B. He has acquitted himself pretty well in the OF.

The DeAza move is of the type they should have done last year as insurance for Hicks. Maybe they've learned a hard lesson from that.

20. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-07-2014)

If they'd take Worley for 2 balls and a bat I'd be all for THAT

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    There's a fighting chance that Parmelee is a better RF than he is at 1B. He has acquitted himself pretty well in the OF.

The DeAza move is of the type they should have done last year as insurance for Hicks. Maybe they've learned a hard lesson from that.
    Exactly... I agree 100% and I fear... We are doing it again. I'd like a plan B.

The Twins have corner depth but CF is an inch deep right now. Hicks may be the guy this year but what if he isn't. That means AAA and in the meantime we have Presley.

I hate De Aza because he is a White Sox and I hate all White Sox. If he wore a different uniform I'd be a fan. I'd just be reluctant to give too much for him. I like the White Sox being weak on the farm.

As for Parmelee!!! He's not a concern in RF. He can play the position. He played it above average last year. He struggling to hit in the majors... I get that but he played a damn nice OF last year!

I don't understand why some keep trying to hang him as a defensive question mark. I watched 90 percent of the games last year and not once did Parm disappoint me in the field and I'm a defense guy... I'm typically hard on average defense... Not just below average defense.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 03-07-2014 at 09:23 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    No thanks. He's 29 and has regressed as his playing time and experience have increased. He struck out 147 times last season. We don't need that kind of man in our lives. We're better off giving Hicks the job and seeing once and for all if he can be counted on. He may not hit DeAza's robust .264. But give Aaron the 602 AB's the White Sux gave DeAza last year, and Hicks won't do any worse.

24. These 5 users like mudcat14's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

alskntwnsfn (03-12-2014), Oldgoat_MN (03-11-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-12-2014), Trautmann13 (03-10-2014), USAFChief (03-07-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    I think we saw last year that Hicks could do worse. Even if Hicks is up and getting AB's the Twins still don't have answers elsewhere in their OF.

I think De Aza is going to get dumped because the White Sox have more or less committed to Eaton, Viciedo and Garcia in the OF with Konerko, Abreu and Dunn at 1b/DH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast