DH Willingham
    LF Arcia
    CF De Aza
    RF Hicks
    DH - Willy
    LF - Presley
    CF - De Aza
    RF - Arcia

I don't think Hicks is even being given the chance to win a position this spring. Maybe at midseason Hicks could play CF but he is a far better CF'er than De Aza even if it wastes his arm.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    DH - Willy
    LF - Presley
    CF - De Aza
    RF - Arcia

I don't think Hicks is even being given the chance to win a position this spring. Maybe at midseason Hicks could play CF but he is a far better CF'er than De Aza even if it wastes his arm.
    Presley has no business as a corner outfielder in the big leagues. He barely can hold his own as a center fielder.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Presley has no business as a corner outfielder in the big leagues. He barely can hold his own as a center fielder.
    +1.

Check out how he has been doing this Spring on both sides of the ball (and on the bases as well.) He has been pretty atrocious. At this point, I'd rather see Mastroianni as the back up
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Because De Aza has proven to be a legit (if not great) starting CF in major league baseball?
    Let me think: Kirby Puckett was great, Joe Di Maggio was great. Willie Mays was great. Torii Hunter was legit. Where does De Aza fit in that equation? He is Rich Beckeresque. And I'd love to hear how legit and great Rich Becker was...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Gee I miss Bobby Darwin, Danny Ford and dare I say - Willie Norwood. We could really use a guy like Cesar Tovar again.

6. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-11-2014)

Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Let me think: Kirby Puckett was great, Joe Di Maggio was great. Willie Mays was great. Torii Hunter was legit. Where does De Aza fit in that equation? He is Rich Beckeresque. And I'd love to hear how legit and great Rich Becker was...
    I would tell you Rich Becker was great, but I would need a lot of drugs, possibly a hallucinogen or two

8. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-11-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Can we swing a deal for Delmon? We know he can hit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    That kind of explains why the Twins should be looking at De Aza. Their other options suck. They could (and probably would) throw Willy out there and Kubel at DH. Or Parmelee. Or Mastro. I can understand not wanting De Aza if you think those guys are good options but let's not be concerned about blocking prospects that might not even arrive this year when there are multiple positions that have fringe MLB'ers starting on opening day.

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    There doesn't appear to have been anything more on this front since the rumors were first posted -- all seemingly based on a Cardafo post in the Boston Globe rather than on something coming out of the Twins camp or the White Sox camp a little more directly.

But I was struck by Phil Miller's column today in the Strib about none of the leading CF candidates separating himself yet: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/249677321.html

Jermaine Mitchell has separated himself (and has been fun to see on the few occasions I've caught a glimpse on TV) but seems pretty unlikely.

And it is confusing why Aaron Hicks isn't in the line-up today since he says his elbow feels good and there was a general expectation that he'd play today (and maybe he will play later in the game).

So maybe there is still something going on behind the scenes with the Twins/De Aza. Or maybe we're down to Mastro and Presley.

There's still a ways to go in ST but I'm getting more depressed about the offense on a daily basis.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I phrased that wrong, I meant (even though he is not great) he is a legit CF. I think that was pretty obvious that no one would claim De Aza was "great"

Torii Hunter was a damn good CF and a damn good player, you don't get to 15+ seasons in the big leagues and over 42 WAR he will probably retire with 350+ HR and 2500 hits. Hall of famer no, but much better than what you are claiming he is.

De Aza is a guy who will give you 2.5-3.0 WAR a year, that at the very least is a "legit" and capable starting CF
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what the Sox want, but cannot see them doing it for one of the out of options pitchers(not Deduno) the Twins could give up, now you could add one of the soft throwing lefties and maybe they would bite. Do not give anything good, but De Aza could be a decent piece for a year or two, or just give the options for more moves.

Blog Entries
    De Aza is a guy who will give you 2.5-3.0 WAR a year, that at the very least is a "legit" and capable starting CF
    I'd project him at a 2 at best at this point. His career year was 2.7, at age 28. At age 30, most projections have him as below 2 player this year. Zips has him at a 1.8, e.g. That seems about right to me. Given our lack of major league depth, he could be a decent get for a reasonable price. But let's not exaggerate his value.

15. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-12-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Actually, Rich Becker was probably underrated. I seem to recall some alleged adventures in the OF, but he graded out just fine defensively. Great OBP, little bit of pop, was a ~100 OPS+, ~3 WAR player making minimum salary for a couple years there. I believe an injury after he left the Twins really hurt his career...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Actually, Rich Becker was probably underrated. I seem to recall some alleged adventures in the OF, but he graded out just fine defensively. Great OBP, little bit of pop, was a ~100 OPS+, ~3 WAR player making minimum salary for a couple years there. I believe an injury after he left the Twins really hurt his career...
    Some on the coaching staff hated him because he took walks and wasn't aggressive with the bat. And he was only average in the outfield. But he would have lasted longer if he hadn't hurt his legs.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Dave, does that say more about de Aza, or the Twins? BTW, it isn't De Aza in a vaccuum, as Spirit points out.....it is de Aza vs their current choices......sure would have been nice to acquire the OF the Sox acquired. All Eaton does is get on base. And field.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Dave, does that say more about de Aza, or the Twins? BTW, it isn't De Aza in a vaccuum, as Spirit points out.....it is de Aza vs their current choices......sure would have been nice to acquire the OF the Sox acquired. All Eaton does is get on base. And field.
    I'm not touting De Aza as some great player, just that he is better than what the Twins likely have ready at this point. He is significantly better than Pressly/Mastro, and Hicks may need some time at this point.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member MVP
    If the argument is they shouldn't add a player unless he is at least as good as Hunter, I'm not sure you'll ever be happy.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    I'm not touting De Aza as some great player, just that he is better than what the Twins likely have ready at this point. He is significantly better than Pressly/Mastro, and Hicks may need some time at this point.
    After the first sentence, I was agreeing with you. Should have put a space in there.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123