Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berardino: Johnson's Star is Rising Again

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Berardino: Johnson's Star is Rising Again

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...en-star-rising

Mike Berardino wrote a terrific article on lefty Kris Johnson who could compete for a back-of-the-rotation role or a bullpen role with the Minnesota Twins. Once a top prospect of the Red Sox, he was released and spent a year in independent ball, playing for Rochester AAA hitting coach Tim Doherty.

Check out the well-done article.

2. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (03-08-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 68 Posts
    Good read. Geez, the Twins have some crazy depth for pitching now as opposed to recent years. Props to the front office for getting aggressive stacking up the arms.

4. This user likes Monkeypaws's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TKGuy (03-07-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point, I would lové to give him a shot in the pen if someone would take Duensing off our hands. Johnson and Thielbar in the same pen would certainly be a great story

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    The depth may be "crazy" but is it even "decent"? I for one certainly do not think so.

7. These 2 users like oldguy10's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

notoriousgod71 (03-09-2014), savvyspy (03-10-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    The depth may be "crazy" but is it even "decent"? I for one certainly do not think so.
    I understand your frustration, but decent depth doesn't come out of a microwave. The Morneau for Johnson deal--and the patience to make it happen--is one example of the Twins' commitment to build quality and depth. Berardino's article helped me see that the Twins saw their man, and worked a deal with the Pirates to make it happen, over time. There are many other examples over the past two years:

Signing free agents Nolasco and Hughes this offseason
    Trading Span and Revere for Alex Meyer, Vance Worley, and Trevor May.
    Drafting Kohl Stewart, JO Berrios, Ryan Eades, Stephen Gonslaves, etc...
    Spending $500k on Lewis Thorpe as an international free agent.

All the same, I feel your pain, man. This rebuilding takes time.
    Last edited by Don't Feed the Greed Guy; 03-08-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: their, not there

9. These 8 users like Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-08-2014), cmathewson (03-08-2014), crarko (03-08-2014), gunnarthor (03-09-2014), howieramone (03-08-2014), mahukey1 (03-09-2014), Since71 (03-09-2014), snepp (03-08-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Is this building comparable to what other good teams are doing I ask. We'll not know that for quite some time in my estimation, who agrees or disagrees with my premise?

Liked 722 Times in 383 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Is this building comparable to what other good teams are doing I ask. We'll not know that for quite some time in my estimation, who agrees or disagrees with my premise?
    If your premise is that it will take time to determine whether the Twins' moves have been effective, then I agree.

It will make a great story (and make the FO look great) if Johnson pans out. I will be rooting for him.

12. This user likes glunn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

As bad as the Twins pitching has been of late, an off-season where we have seemingly raised the floor is encouraging. Last year, Pedro Hernandez, Vance Worley, Cole de Vries, Liam Hendricks and PJ Walters combined to start 40 games. Walters 5.95 ERA was the best of the lot.

This year's Twins should be able to shave at least a run off the ERA off those starts - and hopefully a bit more than that. That will be stabilizing for a still mediocre team as well as less taxing on what was already a decent bullpen. AL playoff teams gave up between 625 and 662 runs last year vs. the Twins 788. Our pitching isn't 125 runs better this year, so we do still need to raise the ceiling as well, but it is probably 50+ runs better.

14. These 3 users like Zephrin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014), savvyspy (03-10-2014), TwinVike61 (03-10-2014)

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    ........ I feel your pain, man. This rebuilding takes time.
    It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.
    Last edited by h2oface; 03-09-2014 at 02:01 AM.

16. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (03-10-2014)

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    They aren't huge splashes but I really like the additions of Johnson, Gilmartin, and Raley. The LH starter pool pretty much started and ended with Diamond and he is a major question mark on multiple levels. Raley may not stick for long being a rule 5 guy but Johnson and Gilmartin provide some badly need LH potential and both are former first rounders and cost only players with minimal trade value to acquire.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

18. This user likes zchrz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Raley is not a Rule 5 guy. He was claimed when the Cubs designated him in order to outright him off their 40-man roster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    [QUOTE=h2oface;201863]It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.[/QUOTE

The team got rid of Valentine, the source of the dysfunction. I mean a team that manages to lose with a starting rotation of Buchholz, Lester and Doubont is far different than a team with Walters Hendiks Diamond and Deduno

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    It took the Red Sox all of 1 year. I guess the difference was the Red Sox did it with bona fide major league baseball players and not prospects.
    Yes, but the Red Sox rotation already had John Lester and John Lackey. They bought Ryan Dempster, Jake Peavy, and Koji Uehara for $30 Million in 2013, but also relied on young arms that came up through their system in time for 2013, guys like Felix Doubont and Brandon Workman.

The Twins will spend $20 million in 2014 on Phil Hughes and Ricky Nolasco. Will it be enough? Probably not. But then again, our 2013 rotation didn't have a Lester or a Lackey.

22. This user likes Don't Feed the Greed Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call what the Red Sox did rebuilding. They already had the foundation. They just needed to add a few pieces (and subtract the worst manager in baseball). Rebuilding starts with the foundation. That takes time.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

24. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    The Red Sox used quite a few prospects last year in Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Iglesias, Bradley Jr., Webster and De La Rosa.

The Twins will hopefully be getting production from their prospects soon. However, I don't know that I'd consider Johnson or Raley much of a prospect.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    When? They have zero prospects likely to make the roster this year. After losing 90+ games for three years, they will graduate zero guys. And, many of you are predicting Gibson, Hicks, and Arcia will be sent down. Meaning zero of the prospects they called up last year will start here. If your entire strategy is build from within, you might want to actually pull that off....
    Lighten up Francis....

27. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (03-09-2014), savvyspy (03-10-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    When? They have zero prospects likely to make the roster this year. After losing 90+ games for three years, they will graduate zero guys. And, many of you are predicting Gibson, Hicks, and Arcia will be sent down. Meaning zero of the prospects they called up last year will start here. If your entire strategy is build from within, you might want to actually pull that off....
    What? Where does this come from? Pinto, Meyer, May, and Santana are all in the mix for graduation this year to go along with Hicks, Arcia and Gibson from last year's class. Sano would be in that first group if not for the injury.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

29. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014), TwinVike61 (03-10-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 565 Times in 370 Posts
    To start the year, many of you are saying not one of those will be on the roster. Everyone told me last year to mellow out, this year they'd be competitive and have guys up from last year and this year. Now we are all saying, well, wait another "at least a few months" as Bonnes put it. And that they won't be close to competitive next year, but man, wait until 2016......for those of you that LOVE the Twins and MLB, that might work. For those of us that like MLB, we'll spend our money and time elsewhere, again, this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't see any need to panic if Gibson, Hicks, Pinto, or even in the unlikely event Arcia, spend a fews weeks in the minors. All are well positioned to make the opening day roster come 2015, where they will probably be joined by at least Buxton and Meyer. I don't see where our favorite team is behind schedule.

32. This user likes howieramone's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-09-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    How do the Twins stack up in this regard as compared to other MLB teams? I think they are behind, convince me they are on an even keel or even ahead of other teams.

34. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (03-10-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast