Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: KLAW article up on Twins observations

  1. #21
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,412
    Like
    64
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Also, as Thrylos said, May may have to start his big league career as a reliever just due to numbers (though I think he'll make some starts in September).
    Seth, I know that this is May's second option season and I think that might play a part in how the Twins view him, starter vs reliever. I think it could also impact who gets the first call up when a pitcher is needed.

    I know you found the rule about a fourth option season but I don't remember the required conditions. Could May be eligible for that?

  2. #22
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,242
    Like
    105
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    A few reasons why beginning a career as a starter is advantageous for the Twins: There was (is) a huge need for starting pitching, pitchers who succeed as SP are more valuable (to all), the Twins want RPs to get lots of Ks, but are looking for pitch-efficiency from starters (different style of pitching/type of pitcher), the Twins (through the years) have been very successful in acquiring RPs, there isn't much need to draft/develop from the low minors on.
    Considering how ineffective the Twins (as a team) are opposing LHP, I wouldn't give up on Melotakis yet--there likely are a lot of other teams that struggle vs guys like Melotakis. Plus, he is (so far) successful as a SP--why change now?

  3. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    kab21 (03-12-2014)

  4. #23
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,281
    Like
    32
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    A few reasons why beginning a career as a starter is advantageous for the Twins: There was (is) a huge need for starting pitching, pitchers who succeed as SP are more valuable (to all), the Twins want RPs to get lots of Ks, but are looking for pitch-efficiency from starters (different style of pitching/type of pitcher), the Twins (through the years) have been very successful in acquiring RPs, there isn't much need to draft/develop from the low minors on.
    Considering how ineffective the Twins (as a team) are opposing LHP, I wouldn't give up on Melotakis yet--there likely are a lot of other teams that struggle vs guys like Melotakis. Plus, he is (so far) successful as a SP--why change now?
    In addition to that the pitcher gets to throw more innings and work on a deeper repertoire of pitches. He might develop a better 2nd pitch that he wouldn't have if he was just a reliever in the minors.

    I also think it's a little silly to complain that a RP'er would be fasttracking and available sooner if they were just a starter. Yes, they would move faster but most RP'ers that are drafted are still complete busts. The success rate of drafted RP'ers must be so low that it really begs the question of why bother drafting RP'ers. I was hoping that they were seeing something particular in their plethora of RP'ers that they have drafted in the last 5 years but it seems that they just liked picking college RP'ers. go find more Walkers, Rosarios and Gonsalves's in the 2nd-5th rds. Please.

  5. #24
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,671
    Like
    2,651
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    That's particularly true if those fans happen to work in the Cardinals organization. They certainly believe in that philosophy.
    Did a quick check of the 2013 pitching staff, before finishing reading what had already been posted, and not only is the philosophy in strong evidence, it goes pretty far back: Adam Wainwright spent his age-24 season exclusively in relief, after having done essentially nothing but start while in the minors. The next season they took the training wheels off and he's been a starter ever since.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Is that analogous to known unknowns as Donald Rumsfeld has stated in his less than sterling second term as defense secretary?
    More of a Bill Clinton joke, I believe. Think: "beret".

  6. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Twins questions from his chat today:

    Do you think Aaron Hicks will hit enough to play a corner when BB is ready to claim center field? And, on a completely related note, should he not be the cautionary tale for teams that make roster decisions based on spring training stats?
    Klaw (1:45 PM)
    I think Hicks will end up someone else's CF, because in a corner he's not as valuable - the Twins will get more benefit from trading him to fill another need than from moving him to RF. He's a cautionary tale for fans who lose their minds over March stats, too.

    Long term outlook on Sano - unchanged, sort of worried, very worried, at least you have Buxton.
    Klaw (1:51 PM)
    Mostly unchanged. So maybe he ends up off 3b sooner than expected. It's not as damaging as Eddie Rosario missing 50 games, where he needed the reps more urgently.

    How long until we see Meyer,May and Berrios?
    Klaw (2:15 PM)
    Meyer later this year. May has to go to the pen for me, and that should happen this year in the minors. Berrios more like 2016.

    Kyle Gibson, already 26 yrs old, is apparently being blocked by Deduno/Diamond/Worley (all out of options). That is dumb.
    Klaw (2:22 PM)
    I've heard Worley has looked awful. Really don't understand the strategy there.

  7. #26
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,115
    Like
    100
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    Twins questions from his chat today:

    Do you think Aaron Hicks will hit enough to play a corner when BB is ready to claim center field? And, on a completely related note, should he not be the cautionary tale for teams that make roster decisions based on spring training stats?
    Klaw (1:45 PM)
    I think Hicks will end up someone else's CF, because in a corner he's not as valuable - the Twins will get more benefit from trading him to fill another need than from moving him to RF. He's a cautionary tale for fans who lose their minds over March stats, too.

    Long term outlook on Sano - unchanged, sort of worried, very worried, at least you have Buxton.
    Klaw (1:51 PM)
    Mostly unchanged. So maybe he ends up off 3b sooner than expected. It's not as damaging as Eddie Rosario missing 50 games, where he needed the reps more urgently.

    How long until we see Meyer,May and Berrios?
    Klaw (2:15 PM)
    Meyer later this year. May has to go to the pen for me, and that should happen this year in the minors. Berrios more like 2016.

    Kyle Gibson, already 26 yrs old, is apparently being blocked by Deduno/Diamond/Worley (all out of options). That is dumb.
    Klaw (2:22 PM)
    I've heard Worley has looked awful. Really don't understand the strategy there.
    I agree with him about Hicks being someone else's CF. I think he is eventually traded for a pitcher or SS.

  8. #27
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,756
    Like
    1
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I agree with him about Hicks being someone else's CF. I think he is eventually traded for a pitcher or SS.
    If Hicks can show he is true big league CFer I would definitely be all for trading him once Buxton is up. True CFers are always at a premium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.