Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Observation from Minor League Intrasquad Game 1

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great work and information Seth. Thats the kind of coverage I love to read. Much appreciated.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Awesome. Can't wait for the season. You talk as if the Rosters are set and Thorpe and Stewart are pitching with Cedar Rapids. I was under the impression that doesn't get announced until later. Am I wrong here? Does this indicate that Thorpe and Stewart are with CR to start the year?

Wheeler - When did he add that extra MPH to his FB? This winter? If this holds up and if he still has his change up and good control, he could go from organizational filler type, to potential big leauger.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    In minor league camp, they are split into work groups. As players move down from big league camp, there is a trickle-down effect. You can almost assume that a player will go down one work group over the course of camp. Right now, Jeff Smith is managing the Rochester work group, Mientkiewicz the New Britain roster and Jake Mauer the Ft. Myers roster. The reason? So they're working primarily with the guys that will play for them to start these season.

Wheeler did that by the end of last season.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good stuff. Watching minor league games is fun, especially in that set up where you can get to watch parts of two games by turning your head in different directions

BTW, did you sneak any looks at that radar gun table as far as Stewart and Thorpe goes?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Seth, what's the deal with Ryan Eades? I haven't heard anyone mention him this spring.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Great stuff. Thanks Seth.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Good stuff. Watching minor league games is fun, especially in that set up where you can get to watch parts of two games by turning your head in different directions

BTW, did you sneak any looks at that radar gun table as far as Stewart and Thorpe goes?
    I didn't. Gonsalves was keeping it most of the game. Coudln't really get behind there because the minor leaguers that weren't playing were all sitting there watching. Neither would have lit up the radar gun though. Probably low 90s. They didn't seem to be airing it out.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Hey Seth, what's the deal with Ryan Eades? I haven't heard anyone mention him this spring.
    He's listed on the Cedar Rapids roster. He's not listed on the DL or anything. Seems to be fine. I'll be sure to get a picture this afternoon to prove he's alive.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Glen Perkins, Brian Duensing, Jared Burton and Matt Guerrier are scheduled to start in the minor league game here this afternoon.

JO Berrios and Stephen Gonsalves are starting the FM/CR game. Jorge and Landa are scheduled to pitch as well.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Seth. This was great. I can't wait for the season to start!

Great stuff Seth. Looking forward to more reports on the minor leaguers. Interesting that you talked about a trickle down impact as roster cuts are made. So will most of the guys throwing for Cedar Rapids now end up in extended spring (and then ETown)??

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I will not be in Fort Myers until March 24 - will this sort of action be taking place beginning that day and all through the following week? And if so can we as fans purchase tickets for it? I will be in Fort Myers until April 1 so does this activity continue through that day?

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    I will not be in Fort Myers until March 24 - will this sort of action be taking place beginning that day and all through the following week? And if so can we as fans purchase tickets for it? I will be in Fort Myers until April 1 so does this activity continue through that day?
    The minor leaguers will either play intra-squad (AA v AAA, A+ v A) games like those Seth watched or will play games against same-level squads from the Red Sox, Rays or Orioles (2 games at home, 2 on the road) pretty much every day from now through March 30. The full-season squads break camp on March 31.

By next week, we should see players (and coaching staffs) adjusted downward more closely to the group where they're more likely to be assigned to start the season.

May be reading more in to it than was intended, but I did see LEN3 hypothesize in his recent article that Kohl Stewart could start the season in Cedar Rapids. he quoted Brad Steil as saying about Stewart, “I think we’re looking forward to seeing what he does in his first full season.”

I have kind of assumed Stewart would stay behind in EST and maybe skip E'town to go to CR in May, but maybe there's a shot he starts the year with the Kernels. Could be they want to accelerate him up at least through high-A by the end of the summer.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

I went to 2 spring games and came away with a horrible taste in my mouth for a few players. 1. Bartlett needs to be cut. He looked awful. Danny Santana looked better. 2. Vance Worley can be cut also. He couldn't get anyone out. 3. Kubel isn't even close to the player he used to be, and he wasn't all that good before. On a positive note, I saw Dick Bremer in the parking lot getting out of his car and his tan looked great.

16. This user likes bdoom5's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-11-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Seth, thanks for explaining to me who was on which field and why. It was nice to meet you. Wish I could've stayed to watch more of the games, but with octogenarian parents in tow, there was only so much before it was enough. Great write up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoom5 View Post
    I went to 2 spring games and came away with a horrible taste in my mouth for a few players. 1. Bartlett needs to be cut. He looked awful. Danny Santana looked better. 2. Vance Worley can be cut also. He couldn't get anyone out. 3. Kubel isn't even close to the player he used to be, and he wasn't all that good before. On a positive note, I saw Dick Bremer in the parking lot getting out of his car and his tan looked great.
    Hopefully both Bartlett and Kubel will be cut before the season starts I am thinking, anyone else share that thought or do you still hope for improvement from them this pre-season?