Thread: Supernatural and Beyond

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries

Supernatural and Beyond

I am a little apprehensive about making this thread, but I thought it might be sort of fun... if there are participants.

What experiences do we have with Extraterrestrials, Cryptic creatures, ghosts, etc... ?

Personally, I have never had an experience in these kind of events, and I have no stories... and essentially, I am not a believer (E.T. excluded).

There are a lot of folks who traverse this site, and might have a story to tell. I want to hear these stories.

Sure, we can use this thread as a fictional platform, and if you choose to do so... (whatever).

Let it ride my friends... make me a believer!
    I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky.

2. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

freshinthehouse (04-02-2014)

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Armchair scientist: Aliens are really unlikely, unless we simply misunderstand physics. When we consider that it takes light 4.3 light years to reach the closest star--that is it takes 4 years for freaking light to travel to the closest non-planetary star! And if we accept Einstien's notion that as matter approaches the speed of light, it becomes energy--and can essentially travel no faster, this is hard limit--and more, an ability that we can't even hope to accomplish with our current power or theoretical power sources, it seems very unlikely for Aliens to come visit. It would require inter-generational space ships and a real commitment to get here, or technology that defies the physical reality as we know it (wormholes, etc.) which seem totally corny and hairbrained. Possible? Sure. Possible like invisible unicorns are everywhere kind of possible. (List of possible habitable planets found here, look at the ly (light years) for context)

(A neat aside, is that if we think about how long it takes light to travel, that every thing in the night sky is historical, non-current, we are literally looking at the past--so a star 3000 light years away, we see it 3000 years in the past! Cool stuff!).

As for the supernatural, well, I haven't experienced anything close to such, at least, sober. The idea of ghosts, seems far more sad, than depressing; it's difficult for me to believe in any afterlife, much less one that traps some people to roam our material world.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 03-12-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 250 Times in 143 Posts
    http://www.cosmosontv.com

Reality is surprisingly cool all on its own.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Pretty much a scientist here.....but I do believe in some kind connection between us that can't be explained. Someone did reiki on me, and admittedly I was on heavy drugs, but I did feel beter......but I am basically not a believer in stuff that is of the supernatural variety.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer crarko's Avatar
    Liked 250 Times in 143 Posts
    Although I see they now have a Free Psychic Reading ad being displayed here. I wonder how that happened?

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    I don't see how the possibility of an afterlife and science are necessarily incompatible. I've never experienced anything and I'm probably most closely associated with Deism or the Philosopher's God.

Even still, I do know of at least one atheist (my sister) who had an experience that truly threw her belief system for a loop for about a decade.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I once saw a mouse come back to life after my cat "killed it."

9. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-13-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Even still, I do know of at least one atheist (my sister) who had an experience that truly threw her belief system for a loop for about a decade.
    If you do not mind me asking - what was her experience?

I'm curious, but I understand if you do not want to share.
    I suddenly remembered my Charlemagne. Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Armchair scientist:
    Because of this brutal winter (in MN), I have boxed myself in and have been watching too much History Channel 2, Destination America, etc., etc... maybe it has warped my mind.

Armchair Scientist > Armchair BRAVO Real Housewives Expert

Maybe I should read more books or stick to playing this:
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/feature/20...sr-to-find-out

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    If you do not mind me asking - what was her experience?

I'm curious, but I understand if you do not want to share.
    No that's ok, I'll give the best recounting of it I can. She's a psychologist, well educated, etc.

She was at the 120 year old farm house we grew up on. Her husband was outside with our father working, house was empty, she was the only one there. She was in the shower when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She yelled her husbands name, then my father's, then my father's hired hand - no response. She stopped asking, then the bathroom door opened partially. She looked out and saw nothing, called out a few more times, then heard footsteps going back down the stairs. When she worked up the nerve (she said it was until the hot water ran out basically), she went out looking for them and all three had been out there the entire time.

She had a significant existential crisis after that. It wouldn't be the first thing a member of my family reported too. I've never experienced anything, however.

13. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (03-12-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    No that's ok, I'll give the best recounting of it I can. She's a psychologist, well educated, etc.

She was at the 120 year old farm house we grew up on. Her husband was outside with our father working, house was empty, she was the only one there. She was in the shower when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She yelled her husbands name, then my father's, then my father's hired hand - no response. She stopped asking, then the bathroom door opened partially. She looked out and saw nothing, called out a few more times, then heard footsteps going back down the stairs. When she worked up the nerve (she said it was until the hot water ran out basically), she went out looking for them and all three had been out there the entire time.

She had a significant existential crisis after that. It wouldn't be the first thing a member of my family reported too. I've never experienced anything, however.
    Tough experience for your sister... Yikes!

Thanks for sharing Leviathan. I appreciate it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I once saw a mouse come back to life after my cat "killed it."
    Did you have to seek counseling after this life altering event? I know I would have.

I don't think I believe in ghosts. I'm pretty much of the belief that when you die your soul leaves this earth. Any paranornal stuff I consider demonic, IMHO. Scares the living **** out of me.

Good thread, BL. I've never experienced anything myself, but I find this sort of thing very fascinating. If you're ever bored, here are a couple of links to random creepy stuff that make for some good reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_disappearance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Celeste
    BYTO R.I.P.

The last link about the Mary Celeste ship makes me wonder how the original inhabitants of this continent must have reacted when they first laid eyes on the big European fortresses that appeared on their waters.

Ever see Apocalyptico? There is a very cool scene of two natives seeing Spanish sailing ships for the first time.
    BYTO R.I.P.

I forgot about that, will have to go back and check. Amazing film.