Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Minor League Intrasquad Game 2

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you happen to stand by the guys on the radar guns for any of these guys at all? I just ask because when I've watched, I could tell a guy like Hermsen wasn't throwing as hard as others, and when I went to watch the guns, that was confirmed (80-84). But then there were the guys who "looked" like their FB had good-life, but the guns wouldn't back that observation up (86-89). AND THEN there were guys whose FB's looked pretty unspectacular, but they would light-up the guns (92-95). It wasn't easy to pin down an actual "hard thrower" from just watching them, because they are all so different in how they "look."

I don't have any problem with those observations, I guess I'm just more curious if you collected any data to go along with them?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again, Seth. We truly have an exciting amount of potential in the minors. The pitchers we have that aren't considered top prospects excite me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Hey Seth, has Buxton switched from the #7 he wore last year (it looks like #9 in your picture). If so, there isn't any conflict on the MLB roster and we can start on our homemade jerseys!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    No data. I just looked at how hitters reacted to pitches, get jammed, out front, etc.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Hey Seth, has Buxton switched from the #7 he wore last year (it looks like #9 in your picture). If so, there isn't any conflict on the MLB roster and we can start on our homemade jerseys!
    He is wearing #9, so I'm assuming he's going to continue with that.

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How did some of the Big (stature) prospects look defensively and offensively? Vargas; Walker; D. Hicks; Etc. - Just wondering how some of the future power guys are doing? Heard Vargas has been the talk of the camp (MLB) in many circles. Better all around player than most thought. Your views?

Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And it seemed like most of the players ended up wearing different numbers than they wore in spring training camps last year. Their affiliated teams (Miracle / Kernes / etc.) might not have those numbers or if they do have those numbers - it may not be in their respective size. I'm sure Vargas would have a problem finding his size in every number .

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    I must have missed the memo, but when did Dereck Rodriguez convert to a pitcher? He was drafted as an outfielder if I'm not mistaken.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't think I'd put much stock in what # the minor leaguers are wearing during spring training. I'm not sure how much choice they get. Seems like someone puts their name on the back of a jersey roughly their size, without too much regard to the number on it, and hangs it in their locker.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I should give up the dream of Polanco being our SS of the future? I was hopeful when Ryan said this offseason that he will play short.
    Goodrum's got to pretty happy to see him struggle there.

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Ruesse, who's down in Ft. Meyers right now mentioned on his show that his front office sources would like to try to move Burton and Duensing. Anyone else hear this from any other sources?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    How did some of the Big (stature) prospects look defensively and offensively? Vargas; Walker; D. Hicks; Etc. - Just wondering how some of the future power guys are doing? Heard Vargas has been the talk of the camp (MLB) in many circles. Better all around player than most thought. Your views?
    Walker has struggled defensively. Heard he had a big triple today.

Vargas in BP is pretty exciting. He looks fine on Defense, but he's not going to be great.

Hicks is solid with the glove, more nimble than he may look

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I must have missed the memo, but when did Dereck Rodriguez convert to a pitcher? He was drafted as an outfielder if I'm not mistaken.
    I posted it last Tuesday in my minor league spring training preview, and it had been alluded to on Twitter throughout the winter.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    So I should give up the dream of Polanco being our SS of the future? I was hopeful when Ryan said this offseason that he will play short.
    Goodrum's got to pretty happy to see him struggle there.
    It was one day. He's got a really good glove. He'd be fine with more playing time there. I just think he's a second baseman. Niko Goodrum is a very good defensive shortstop.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Ruesse, who's down in Ft. Meyers right now mentioned on his show that his front office sources would like to try to move Burton and Duensing. Anyone else hear this from any other sources?
    I can confirm that there are rumblings, but can't confirm is the front office people are actually saying that. In fact, I'd be really surprised, knowing some in the front office, if they would be that forward about it to anyone.

17. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-13-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Isn't it almost implied in MLB circles that Burton and/or Duensing will be shipped thus no need for Twins management to be forward or not regarding the two pitchers? Sure seems to be the case in my mind.

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    I don't know what the rumblings might be but I found this blog by Berardino interesting:

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...e-in-question/

I didn't realize how the money situation worked on arbitration eligible players -- but obviously it could have some impact here.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    He is wearing #9, so I'm assuming he's going to continue with that.
    So NOW we know who was really pulling the strings on the Doumit trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Did you happen to stand by the guys on the radar guns for any of these guys at all? I just ask because when I've watched, I could tell a guy like Hermsen wasn't throwing as hard as others, and when I went to watch the guns, that was confirmed (80-84). But then there were the guys who "looked" like their FB had good-life, but the guns wouldn't back that observation up (86-89). AND THEN there were guys whose FB's looked pretty unspectacular, but they would light-up the guns (92-95). It wasn't easy to pin down an actual "hard thrower" from just watching them, because they are all so different in how they "look."

I don't have any problem with those observations, I guess I'm just more curious if you collected any data to go along with them?
    To Steve & anyone else who may be interested. I saw this question posted before going to the fields on Wednesday. It was the first games vs other teams. Our Rochester and New Britian groups took on Pawtucket and Portland rosters from the Red Sox. BJ Hersem, I was told by players charting pitches, etc. - was throwing 87 - 89 with has fastball. Talked to him after his two innings. I got the standard "It felt good" response. "Still working on things". He didn't have any feeling on his velocity, when I asked. He did say he would like to tighten up location on some of his pitches. He was missing away and off the plate.

The only other pitcher I got numbers on was Trevor May, pitching for Rochester. Virgil Vasquez (who is very cool and very friendly) was kind enough to tell me that May was throwing 92-94 with his fastball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast