Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Correia to the Braves?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts

Correia to the Braves?

With Beachy going down, the Braves need another arm.

Pretty sure we could unload Correia who would be a nice arm for the Braves and pick up a solid prospect as well.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,267 Times in 678 Posts
    Sold!

3. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-14-2014), Trautmann13 (03-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't think the Twins should wait until the deadline to trade Correia. If it's to the Braves, that's OK with me.

No team is going to look at Correia at the deadline and think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not. Whatever value he has is at its highest right now.

5. These 4 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-14-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-14-2014), Trautmann13 (03-16-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-14-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I don't think the Twins should wait until the deadline to trade Correia. If it's to the Braves, that's OK with me.

No team is going to look at Correia at the deadline and think he's the difference between making the playoffs or not. Whatever value he has is at its highest right now.
    Yup. I sure hope the Twins see what you and I see. Their offseason pitching pursuits suggest that they're just waiting for just such a phone call to pull the trigger. Get-er-done.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 488 Times in 285 Posts
    Beachy and Medlen too.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only a good idea if Mark DeRosa comes out of retirement.

Because, Mark DeRosa.

9. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

drunksam (03-14-2014), snepp (03-14-2014), Winston Smith (03-14-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,267 Times in 678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brock beauchamp View Post
    only a good idea if mark derosa comes out of retirement.

Because, mark derosa.
    iswydt

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Only a good idea if Mark DeRosa comes out of retirement.

Because, Mark DeRosa.
    There is only a 52% chance of that happening.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

12. These 3 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-14-2014), TFelton (03-16-2014), USAFChief (03-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    This late in the process there is a chance. Decent FA SP's are a rare commodity at this point so the Braves might have look at a trade.

That said, I can't envision the Twins FO trading him. They have gone to such great lengths to bring in pitchers this off season it seems unlikely they'd let one go at this point.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    I'm not sure Correia would bring much back at this point. He's a mediocre pitcher at best and there likely will be similar types hitting waivers in the next couple weeks that cost nothing.

Would anyone here give up a decent prospect for one year of Correia?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,289 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The good part is that the Braves strength in their farm is their pitching. Correia by himself won't return a low-minors stud, but Correia plus1 (say) Kepler? Or maybe even less? Depends on whom the Twins scouts like of course.

1 with apologies to another TD poster whose post I had to delete for other reasons....

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    People were surprised when the Braves traded for Doumit; maybe lightning strikes twice.

Liked 2,280 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess... We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile. He was signed as a free agent... That means we paid more for him than others were willing or close to more than others were willing. It's the nature of FA.

He pitched OK for us but I don't know if that increased his value.

I could be wrong but Correia is more valuable to us as a "Now" MLB starter than any player he could bring back.

If we package him with Kepler... I think we are still getting the same player in return for Kepler alone.

Just my guess.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile.
    Works for me.

If we package him with Kepler... I think we are still getting the same player in return for Kepler alone.
    Maybe so. I am just tired of the one-for-two trades in the recent past (Morneau, Liriano, I think at least one other I am temporarily forgetting), and would like to see a two-for-one that represents an upgrade for once. Plugging another team's urgent need while providing them with a legitimate prospect would seem like an opportunity for that.

/ edit: Revere. That's the other one-for-two trade. I liked the trade at the time - but I would have liked even better Revere plus somebody for somebody else on a par with Meyer. Those guys are hard to pry away on demand, though.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-14-2014 at 12:36 PM.

19. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-14-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    My guess... We'd have to eat some salary to make it worthwhile. He was signed as a free agent... That means we paid more for him than others were willing or close to more than others were willing. It's the nature of FA.

He pitched OK for us but I don't know if that increased his value.

I could be wrong but Correia is more valuable to us as a "Now" MLB starter than any player he could bring back.

Just my guess.
    I think you never know. I was surprised we got someone with some upside for Drew Butera. I was surprised how well we did in the Span deal. I was shocked at how little the Tigers got back for Fister. Sometimes you never know. Different teams may evaluate the same player differently, some teams may have depth in one area and lacking in another.

I do think the Twins will get the most value somewhere between now and May, rather than in July. the reason is we are probably one of the very few teams that would be willing to give up a pitcher now. Nobody is going to cry foul that we are giving up on the season and we have Meyer and hopefully Gibson coming up anyway. So if a team that has a large payroll and thinks they have a post-season run this year, like the Braves (or Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, or Nationals) has a key injury and a lack of depth maybe something can be worked out.

At this point the Braves have Gavin Floyd and Freddy Garcia, both battling some big injuries.

21. These 2 users like tobi0040's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-14-2014), diehardtwinsfan (03-14-2014)

Correia's value is tied to his ability to chew up innings and stay relatively healthy. That value is only going to diminish as the season goes on and there are fewer innings to eat.

I think the Twins have enough starters that the loss of Correia would be no big deal. It might prevent them from losing Deduno, Diamond, or Worley (if you're worried about that kind of thing). A space needs to open up for Gibson as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Good question...
    Just based on ST games, seems like (more or less) an across the board improvement in the pitching. Deduno looked good vs. Bosox; Tonkin (love to know more about him) etc. are standing out. We have a logjam going on for #5, and if desperate times call for desperate measures, then maybe the Bravos might want to grab some insurance depth. Worth a shot.

Weeding out Correia could simplify things w/out of option guys, and with the war chest full. eating all/part of his salary is totally doable.

Question is: who do you want from the Braves in return for a Correia trade?
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Blog Entries
    News flash: Gibby gave up 3 in the first inning in today's split-squad game. Maybe I wanna hang onto Correia another few weeks....

I wonder how other teams (Braves) would value Deduno?

Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    News flash: Gibby gave up 3 in the first inning in today's split-squad game. Maybe I wanna hang onto Correia another few weeks....
    Gibby's just working on some things. Today he was working on hanging sliders.

27. These 3 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-14-2014), snepp (03-14-2014), USAFChief (03-14-2014)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast