Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correia to the Braves?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Gibby's just working on some things. Today he was working on hanging sliders.
    Pretty successful day then, mission accomplished.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Guess that worked out...
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 344 Times in 168 Posts
    Maybe they could offer Worley to the Braves for a PTBNL depending how he does. Doesn't really look like he has a spot and he's out of options.
    Braves seem to get a lot out of their pitching so maybe they can find something Rick doesn't. He's still young and probably has a little more upside than does Garcia and Floyd.
    Probably wishful thinking on my part to get anything for him.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

4. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-14-2014)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The good part is that the Braves strength in their farm is their pitching. Correia by himself won't return a low-minors stud, but Correia plus1 (say) Kepler? Or maybe even less? Depends on whom the Twins scouts like of course.1 with apologies to another TD poster whose post I had to delete for otkher reasons....
    1. Toss Duensing into the deal. 2. PROFIT!
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. These 4 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-14-2014), ChiTownTwinsFan (03-14-2014), chuchadoro (03-15-2014), snepp (03-14-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I don't see the Braves wanting Correia. There are other teams they could trade with that would have better options. I think the Twins will be lucky if they can trade Correia at the deadline. He looks like a solid number 5 starter and most teams can find a guy close to that in AAA. He needs a sub 4.00 ERA to find trade value and I don't know if he can do that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure which prospects the Braves would have...that 1) be willing to deal, 2) the Twins would want. Maybe Lucas Sims...but it's a pretty weak farm system. Not that Correia should/would bring back a lion's share...but you'd like to be able to get a guy who would actually make the pros at some point for a #3/#4 starter.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    Gibby Gibby Gibby.. dang you

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 825 Times in 519 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Maybe they could offer Worley to the Braves for a PTBNL depending how he does. Doesn't really look like he has a spot and he's out of options.
    Braves seem to get a lot out of their pitching so maybe they can find something Rick doesn't. He's still young and probably has a little more upside than does Garcia and Floyd.
    Probably wishful thinking on my part to get anything for him.
    I was thinking this same thing... PTBNL conditional on Worley's results. He's had success in the NL, and the Braves saw him plenty in Philly...

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I was thinking this same thing... PTBNL conditional on Worley's results. He's had success in the NL, and the Braves saw him plenty in Philly...
    Worley does nothing for the Braves as they would have 3-4 internal guys who would have just as good of a shot to be effective as Worley for them.

The thing that Correia brings is that he is a pretty safe bet to give them innings anywhere between a 4.00-4.30 ERA, which does in fact have a nice amount of value for a contending team with an immediate need.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Interesting takes here. I can tell you that Frank Wren has said that outside of an "impact" player, the payroll is maxed out, and Correia is just not a pitcher that would interest the Braves. They have three guys just like him in AAA that have already been sent to minor league camp.

Sorry to burst the bubble.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Not sure which prospects the Braves would have...that 1) be willing to deal, 2) the Twins would want. Maybe Lucas Sims...but it's a pretty weak farm system. Not that Correia should/would bring back a lion's share...but you'd like to be able to get a guy who would actually make the pros at some point for a #3/#4 starter.
    I really, really, really hope you're kidding.

I was trying to think of a prospect matchup for Correia, and it wasn't anyone on the Braves' top 30. Regarding the "weak" system, individual prospect rankings aren't always the best gauge. Jason Parks from BP recently interviewed with me, and in our exchanges, he stated that the Braves have a very upside-heavy system, specifically in their international signings. Perhaps the Braves would trade someone like Aaron Northcraft, but that's probably as deep as it'd go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I don't see the Braves wanting Correia. There are other teams they could trade with that would have better options. I think the Twins will be lucky if they can trade Correia at the deadline. He looks like a solid number 5 starter and most teams can find a guy close to that in AAA. He needs a sub 4.00 ERA to find trade value and I don't know if he can do that.
    The Braves would be looking for someone low, low-cost to replace Beachy. They did come into the spring with 7 starters competing for 5 spots, though, and that was before Floyd returns in May/June, so they're still sitting okay, just not with near the depth they had. Their current rotation sits along the lines of:

Minor
    Teheran
    Santana
    Wood
    Hale, with Garcia starting the season in either Minor or Santana's spot.

The Braves don't have a need for a 5th starter for an extended time into the season, and if they did, there's a large group in AAA that would be able to make a spot start as needed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think we are going to have several more threads about trading the surplus of number 5 starters (without the flexibility of options) for a prospect. While the Twins might be able to match up and pick up another optionless player on the fringe of a roster, I don't see any significant return for any of them. That expectation is unrealistic.

Why trade with the Twins for their fringe? Teams can simply wait out which of the number 5 starters is DFA'd.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post

Why trade with the Twins for their fringe? Teams can simply wait out which of the number 5 starters is DFA'd.
    Over his last 3 years, Correia has averaged 170 IP in the majors, and a 4.37 ERA. While there is nothing that is earth shatterning about those numbers, and his strike outs etc aren't in the least bit sexy, it is very clear he is more than a "fringe" major leaguer.

Once opening day rolls around I would LOVE to see someone post all of the pitchers they think are as good or as better than Kevin Correia who just get DFA'ed at that time.

Nobody is saying he is going to net some blue chip prospect, but dismissing him as "just a scrap heap arm who can be found on waivers" is no in the least bit accurate.

17. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (03-14-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    The Braves would be looking for someone low, low-cost to replace Beachy. They did come into the spring with 7 starters competing for 5 spots, though, and that was before Floyd returns in May/June, so they're still sitting okay, just not with near the depth they had. Their current rotation sits along the lines of:

Minor
    Teheran
    Santana
    Wood
    Hale, with Garcia starting the season in either Minor or Santana's spot.

The Braves don't have a need for a 5th starter for an extended time into the season, and if they did, there's a large group in AAA that would be able to make a spot start as needed.
    Hale is nothing special at all, and counting on Garcia is a recipe for disaster (Correia has significantly better numbers and doesn't have the injury issues over recent years)

I'm not saying they would give up much for him, but he is clearly an upgrade over their current options for a #5

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Over his last 3 years, Correia has averaged 170 IP in the majors, and a 4.37 ERA. While there is nothing that is earth shatterning about those numbers, and his strike outs etc aren't in the least bit sexy, it is very clear he is more than a "fringe" major leaguer.

Once opening day rolls around I would LOVE to see someone post all of the pitchers they think are as good or as better than Kevin Correia who just get DFA'ed at that time.

Nobody is saying he is going to net some blue chip prospect, but dismissing him as "just a scrap heap arm who can be found on waivers" is no in the least bit accurate.
    I had to rereaad where I wrote scrap heap. Correia, Worley, Diamond and Deduno are all better than that.

I looked to see that trades the last few springs in march before I wrote. The guys that move are the guys on the fringe. The pitchers who are the back of the rotation and likely out of options. The return is a similar player.

The difference between the upside of a Worley and certainty of a Correia isn't great enough to motivate a team to deal a prospect.

In my mind there is a lot of space between fringe and scrap. If Deduno pitches well and Meyer shows he is ready, Correia moves out. That's fringe... not scrap.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 03-14-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hale is nothing special at all, and counting on Garcia is a recipe for disaster (Correia has significantly better numbers and doesn't have the injury issues over recent years)

I'm not saying they would give up much for him, but he is clearly an upgrade over their current options for a #5
    What you are saying is true for the Twins as well. Correia is likely better than any of the current options for the 4 or 5 spot for the Twins. He might be better than Pelfrey or Hughes as well. At least to begin the season. This is the whole problem with the "trade Correia" movement. If as you say, he isn't going to bring back much in return, and right now is likely better than the other current options, why trade him?

Garcia and Hale both produced for the Braves last year. Hale is better than you're assuming. I think you're mistaken on the Braves and their feelings toward both players.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    If Worley, Diamond, Deduno and Gibson had been pitching better I'd guess the Twins would be actively shopping Correia. I'm still for a move, but knowing this front office, they're not going to sell a guy preseason and insert what looks to be a downgrade from their perspective.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Beachy going down, the Braves need another arm.

Pretty sure we could unload Correia who would be a nice arm for the Braves and pick up a solid prospect as well.
    Yes, yes, yes that would be nice. I am sure a top 15-20 Braves prospect could be had.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast