Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Based on Spring Training Results?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Is he versatile enough to take up throwing southpaw at his age?

Or, maybe you're saying that if Deduno's in the rotation, you want Diamond in the bullpen as his designated reliever?

Lol, complete brain cramp, it's been a long day. Take the left handed part out and my opinion stands........doh!!!!

2. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-14-2014), LaBombo (03-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    I understand the support for Diamond, but I'm a big Deduno fan. As I saw it, his problem was just one of control (reminded me of Liriano in that sense), and he's been great this spring. Been hoping he would make the #5 spot all along.

If he spells in the pen while someone else gets a second look, then fine. But if Deduno continues with what he's doing, he'll get that spot eventually. Or, he should.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

4. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-15-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Just as a toss-in/FWIW...

Obviously this thread is focused on pitching, yet the subject line begs other questions...

The bright spot in ST has clearly been the pitching, and nothing could make me happier.
    Except, maybe, for Big D and smart baserunning.

So far, SS seems like a black hole and the unearned runs from that position alone are cringe-worthy. Baserunning is non-existant, not even station-to-station standard.

I feel very optimistic about our pitching, and that is a sea change- Hughes' curve as an out-pitch, for example- but if we can't run the bases and score runs, we're screwed. Poor defense is not Twins baseball, and we've never had a noteworthy running game. Hoping that will turn around, because we will need every single run we can manufacture.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    Just as a toss-in/FWIW...

Obviously this thread is focused on pitching, yet the subject line begs other questions...

The bright spot in ST has clearly been the pitching, and nothing could make me happier.
    Except, maybe, for Big D and smart baserunning.

So far, SS seems like a black hole and the unearned runs from that position alone are cringe-worthy. Baserunning is non-existant, not even station-to-station standard.

I feel very optimistic about our pitching, and that is a sea change- Hughes' curve as an out-pitch, for example- but if we can't run the bases and score runs, we're screwed. Poor defense is not Twins baseball, and we've never had a noteworthy running game. Hoping that will turn around, because we will need every single run we can manufacture.
    I agree with you all the way around. Add to the list... Lack of Power so far in spring as a continuation of the lack of power in 2013 and I'm offensively nervous.

Hopefully things turn around. Lack of power and Lack of speed is not a good combo.

As for Deduno... I'm a big believer. I think he should grab the 5th spot and if he gets it... He will be our top starter.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The a Twins can't be so foolish to base any roster decision on spring training numbers. I hope they don't even look at them. The numbers are worthless in projecting how any player will perform in 2014.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    The a Twins can't be so foolish to base any roster decision on spring training numbers. I hope they don't even look at them. The numbers are worthless in projecting how any player will perform in 2014.
    So what would you like them to base their decision on? They had better be concerned with some of the numbers so far this spring. And a couple of roster positions could very well be dependent on these numbers. What if Willingham is hitting .085 when we head north. You'd disregard that? I think not.

Liked 3,173 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I agree with you all the way around. Add to the list... Lack of Power so far in spring as a continuation of the lack of power in 2013 and I'm offensively nervous.

Hopefully things turn around. Lack of power and Lack of speed is not a good combo.

As for Deduno... I'm a big believer. I think he should grab the 5th spot and if he gets it... He will be our top starter.
    Reminds me of most of my teams. We didn't have much power, but man, we sure couldn't run.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

10. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-15-2014), Riverbrian (03-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 513 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    IAs for Deduno... I'm a big believer. I think he should grab the 5th spot and if he gets it... He will be our top starter.
    Samuel is going to prove most Twins fans wrong - he will excel as a starting pitcher.

My gut feeling is that Phil Hughes' performance will be a bit better than Deduno's.

I think the Twins will have a 78-82 win season and Deduno, Hughes, and Nolasco will be efficient.

Our offense will be manic... good some days, and atrocious some days as well.

Hopefully the offense can iron out their deficiencies and be better than expected, rather than worse.

12. This user likes Bark's Lounge's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (03-15-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    So what would you like them to base their decision on? They had better be concerned with some of the numbers so far this spring. And a couple of roster positions could very well be dependent on these numbers. What if Willingham is hitting .085 when we head north. You'd disregard that? I think not.
    They can't base them on the numbers. They shouldn't even look at the numbers. The sample is far too small and skewed by the varying level of competition. The numbers have no meaning for projecting performance during the season.

They have to rely on what their coaches and scouts see in workouts, practices and games. The talent and ability of their coaches to discern which pitchers they retain and which they designate is critical to their future.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It used to be Ryan's favorite line, then echoed by Gardy: "We'll go as far as our pitching carries us."

And last year, the pitching was very bad, with starters the worst in professional baseball. That's quite a thing: THE WORST in MLB.

This year, the problem is going to be on offense. What were we last year in terms of runs scored, 29th of 30? I think we will have a real problem scoring runs.

The issue is: are we a power team or a speed team? For Gardy, he doesn't like to take outs on the basepaths and so, he doesn't run. But, he has no power. And thus, the problem: stuck between a power paradigm and a speed paradigm, we end up doing neither, and leading the league in not scoring runs.

Doesn't matter how much pitching the Twins have. You need to score runs to win, especially against good pitchers. I don't see it this year. Between a lack of chemistry, a reluctance to run and an inability to hit for power, the Twins are, once again, headed for the basement of the AL.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I wasn't referring to pitchers. This team needs some type of offense. That's what I was typing about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12