Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 3.0

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do think the Twins will deal a reliever or one of the out of option starters and a reliever for either
    1. A decent prospect
    2. A player who could help the Twins now(either an outfielder or an utility type infielder with an outfielder as my best guess). Kubel will have to hit a lot more to make the team as he and Parmelee are competing for what looks to be one spot. Believe Arcia will be here, but he might be sent to Rochester so both Kubel and Parmelee can make the team(do not see why, but Twins have done things like this before).
    Agree with you Seth that Diamond looks to be the odd man out and may well be traded soon.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    I would really like the Twins to find a way to get Tonkin into this bullpen. Tonkin has been unhittable this spring. Vance Worley is meh.

4. This user likes Dave T's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (03-16-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    Face-saving trade(s) are just about a given. There are way too many recently acquired players than can be kept--especially when the younger, up-and-comers are added to the equation.

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Kubel is the odd man out do to versatility of Parm and Collabello.

There are 12 pitchers listed here. That would mean that, unless a trade, this could be our pitchers. I personally would let Diamond and Worley go. If a pitcher goes down, we still have plenty of good choices in AAA. Then Tonkin can be given a shot.
    Last edited by Chance; 03-16-2014 at 10:52 AM.

7. This user likes Chance's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (03-16-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I would really like the Twins to find a way to get Tonkin into this bullpen. Tonkin has been unhittable this spring. Vance Worley is meh.
    Agreed. Not saying Worley IS a failed option at this point, but I've also not seen anything to indicate he's going to work and worth keeping for any kind of role either. I appreciate arguments made how it would be a mistake to let someone go who is still young and has potential. But at the same time, I don't want the team to keep a failed roster choice over another talented youngster just for the sake of a maybe; ex. Worley over Tonkin for a bullpen spot.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't call Diamond's outing yesterday "solid". He was overthrowing everything. His fastball was up. His breaking ball was consistently in the dirt. He was saved by the opposition--the Mets' B team--who swung at his stuff out of the strike zone a lot. But he did't get enough called strikes, and he threw a lot of pitches in four innings. If that was a regular-season game against a normal line-up, he's out after three with a six-run deficit.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Colabello has to be kept. The Twins need a credible right-hand bat. While I liked Danny Santana's bat, he simply does not yet have the major-league composure to play shortstop. As to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee makes more sense in that he plays both a decent right field and first base. Kubel is primarily relegated to DH or pinch hitting.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give up on Kubel, nostalgia for the past does not do anything for a MLB roster. Worley and Diamond, who would even want either of them? We have got a ton of Diamond-like lefties sitting around the minors. What's the concern about letting him go?

But, pitching will not be the biggest problem for the Twins this year. It's the offense. They will have trouble scoring runs and are caught between not being a running team and not being a power team. They must keep Colabello, hope Willingham hits and then get some of the little guys to have good years by getting on base. Like last year, if either Parmelee or Plouffe ever came around and realized his potential, they would be a decent squad. As it stands, they will battle for last place in the Central yet again.

12. This user likes Old Twins Cap's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

shs_59 (03-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Thanks for update. I think they really want to give Guerrier a long look now, and I don't know how you (the Twins, that is) leave Tonkin behind anymore - definitely agree. If ST is any sort of tryout and not a complete formality, then Colabello seems like a lock at this point. If Florimon is so far behind like has been written, then that's also a real issue. Too bad about Santana's glove and the baseballs that routinely pop out of it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I wouldn't call Diamond's outing yesterday "solid". He was overthrowing everything. His fastball was up. His breaking ball was consistently in the dirt. He was saved by the opposition--the Mets' B team--who swung at his stuff out of the strike zone a lot. But he did't get enough called strikes, and he threw a lot of pitches in four innings. If that was a regular-season game against a normal line-up, he's out after three with a six-run deficit.
    I agree with you, and am becoming increasingly concerned that a case is being made to install Diamond as the 5th starter, and relegate Deduno to the bullpen. I think this would be a mistake. But Gardy and Anderson are traditionalists, and traditional baseball thought says you need at least one lefty in your rotation. I don't agree, and kind of hope Diamond gets shelled his next start to force them to put Deduno in the rotation. I think he's poised for a big year.

Quote Originally Posted by lukingood View Post
    Colabello has to be kept. The Twins need a credible right-hand bat. While I liked Danny Santana's bat, he simply does not yet have the major-league composure to play shortstop. As to Kubel or Parmelee, Parmelee makes more sense in that he plays both a decent right field and first base. Kubel is primarily relegated to DH or pinch hitting.
    I think there is a shot Kubel makes the team just because of his contract and the fact that the Twins talked him into taking a minor league deal with them rather than a MLB deal with whatever other team was trying to sign him. Sounds to me they assured him he would make them team to get him to sign with them.
    That being said, I also would rather they roll with Parmalee and Colabello.

Liked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the big battles remaining is will Kubel show enough to make the team and who will win the last 2 bullpen spots as there seems to be 6 or 7 contenders for those 2 spots (Pressley, Theilbar, Tonkin, Worely, Guerrier, Hoffman, Thompson and kind of Diamond)

I count 26 players on this projected roster. You have six infielders listed although it says '5' in the parentheses.
    You'd more likely remove one of the outfielders from this list than remove an infielder to get down to 25, I think...?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Do think the Twins will deal a reliever or one of the out of option starters and a reliever for either
    1. A decent prospect
    2. A player who could help the Twins now(either an outfielder or an utility type infielder with an outfielder as my best guess). Kubel will have to hit a lot more to make the team as he and Parmelee are competing for what looks to be one spot. Believe Arcia will be here, but he might be sent to Rochester so both Kubel and Parmelee can make the team(do not see why, but Twins have done things like this before).
    Agree with you Seth that Diamond looks to be the odd man out and may well be traded soon.
    It is very rare to make a trade to get a real prospect at this time of year. I didn't find one the last 5 years. All teams feel the crunch of the roster spots. If they have a need on the pitching staff or on the bench, there will be players designated for assignment that can fill that need.

There are some trades. The Twins might be able to match up with a team that has a 4th OF or utility player that would otherwise be designated for assignment in exchange for Worley or Diamond.

It it isn't reasonable to expect a decent prospect.

Any speculation should start with players on other teams in a similar position to Worley, Diamond and Parmelee.

I've felt all along that Pinto has a better chance to make the roster than it seems you have. Perhaps I'm just a dreamer. It seems like he may be the best DH bat they have. He could DH 2-3 days and he could catch 2 days a week until they see the improvement they need. Pinto never caught every day in the minors (<60%) so I wonder if they would ease him into the role and do work with Steinbach and be mentored by Suzuki rather than send him to the minors.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    I'm a long-time supporter of Deduno, and he is in the zone right now- so glad to see it.
    Same with Tonkin- get these arms in the mix; Deduno @ #5; stash Tonkin in the pen for the time being. Colabello has found his stroke, so get him on the bench.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

21. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (03-17-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlier View Post
    I've felt all along that Pinto has a better chance to make the roster than it seems you have. Perhaps I'm just a dreamer. It seems like he may be the best DH bat they have. He could DH 2-3 days and he could catch 2 days a week until they see the improvement they need. Pinto never caught every day in the minors (<60%) so I wonder if they would ease him into the role and do work with Steinbach and be mentored by Suzuki rather than send him to the minors.
    With regards to Pinto, Gardy is already adamantly on the record this spring stating that Pinto will definitely not be DHing.

His reasoning? It just gives him nightmares thinking about the chances that a pitcher might have to bat once or twice in 5000 PAs.

23. These 2 users like jokin's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (03-17-2014), Outlier (03-16-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    With regards to Pinto, Gardy is already adamantly on the record this spring stating that Pinto will definitely not be DHing.

His reasoning? It just gives him nightmares thinking about the chances that a pitcher might have to bat once or twice in 5000 PAs.
    I don't think they'd choose Pinto as the right handed DH ahead of Colabello at this point, but Gardy said they'd need a third catcher for Pinto to DH. Sending Fryer down already and keeping Hermann up could be a sign that they want to carry three. I'm guessing Colabello makes it for sure, and Kubel has looked pretty terrible, but Hermann could be in the mix with Kubel and Parmalee for that last spot if they want to keep Pinto also.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    I don't think they'd choose Pinto as the right handed DH ahead of Colabello at this point, but Gardy said they'd need a third catcher for Pinto to DH. Sending Fryer down already and keeping Hermann up could be a sign that they want to carry three. I'm guessing Colabello makes it for sure, and Kubel has looked pretty terrible, but Hermann could be in the mix with Kubel and Parmalee for that last spot if they want to keep Pinto also.
    Ugh. Even Gardy has seemed to have learned his lesson on the harm to the offense that the 3 catcher security blanket scenario does to the team.

I'd take Parmelee's bat over what Hermann can potentially contribute (Kubel?). And with Escobar as your emergency catcher, Hermann or Fryer are a one-day flight away from Rochester to take the back-up spot in the event of an injury.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast