Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game 20 - Twins vs Royals - 4/27/12

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Between this game and the first and last games of the Boston series, that's 3 losses as frustrating as any I can remember.

This one was unreal. I swear this umpiring crew had an almost sexual need for Kansas City to win this game.

I don't understand why Gray was out there. Yesterday was an off day.

What is the major league record for worst ERA by a teams starting pitchers???? I am guessing it was a 1990's Texas staff. I have a strong feeling that this team will top them all.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    This team used to win most of their one run games. The last couple years it seems almost every game is a one run decision but it ends in a loss. I'm not sure if the players just bought into the psychological impact of the Metrodome, but they definately aren't taking advantage of having a ton of runners in scoring postion.
    I think those instances are magnified because the pitching is so horrible. The Twins have scored enough runs to win several games but pitching, both starting and relieving has let them down. League worst in both HR and ERA, I believe. In addition, I thought the bullpen was horribly managed in the 8th. Perkins or Burton should have been in there, if not to start the inning, they should have put in instead of Gray. Also hated the bunt with Revere. Good plan if they just needed one run, but that wasn't the case.
    Last edited by Alex; 04-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    The Twins have scored enough runs to win several games.
    Before tonight the Twins are 13th in the AL in runs scored... Definitely not enough runs
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Before tonight the Twins are 13th in the AL in runs scored... Definitely not enough runs
    ---I don't think the implication there was that the Twins have consistently been one of the best offensive teams in the league.

I read that statement as saying there have been several games in which the Twins scored enough run to win but didn't, which is correct. They've now lost 7 of 8 but there were 3 losses where they scored 6 runs and 1 where they scored 5. 5 or 6 runs should be enough to win.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

In general, I agree, but I believe they've only given up less than 4 runs in 2 games so far this season but scored more than four in 8 (three times in the last week they scored 5+ runs and lost). Point is, it's not going to be enough runs because of the pitching staff. The hitters have shown they can get on base, and I think that they'll start scoring more runs as those hits come with two outs and/or runners in scoring position.

On the pitching side, I do hope the runs will come down a little, but I also wouldn't be surprised if this pattern continues because the staff is much more of a mess and doesn't show as much in terms of potential as the hitting.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Worst pitching staff ever.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,087 Times in 489 Posts
    Nine innings, zero strikeouts.

It takes some impeccable control to be able to pitch to that level of contact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12