Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Spring Training Report: Top Prospects Galore

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Spring Training Report from Fort Myers: 3/15/14: Top prospects galore

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]
    "As far as the position players go:

These two guys (who were first and second on one of the most meaningless stats - RBIs - in the Twins' organization last season) look even bigger this season. Florida State League beware."

Although considered a meaningless stat - Each RBI leader played a significant role in helping thier respective teams win. ALL of them ALL STARS & Many of them MVPs and /or Finalist.

MLB - RBI LEADERS - LAST DECADE
    2013 Chris Davis
    2012 Miguel Cabrera
    2011 Matt Kemp
    2010 Miguel Cabrera
    2009 Prince Fielder
    2008 Ryan Howard
    2007 Alex Rodriguez
    2006 Ryan Howard
    2005 David Ortiz
    2004 Miguel Tejada

Joe Mauer has achieved an OBP of over .400 in 5 of the last 6 seasons but has yet to score or drive in 100 runs. I believe being the only player to do so in multiple years. My point being: League RBI leaders aren't necessarily a bad thing. You need those guys to drive in the Joe Mauer's. Getting over 100 RBI helped Willingham earn a Silver Slugger Award and gain respect amongst MN fans.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moderator's note: the original poster made a side comment about RBI, a responder made a counter-argument. Interesting, perhaps, but let's not turn this thread into a debate about the side comment; start a new thread if you feel so-motivated.

Liked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Thanks for the terrific report and great pictures, thrylos. You brightened my morning.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 67 Posts
    Great write-up - thank you.

Do you really think Berrios grew? That would be a really late growth spurt no?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Great write-up - thank you.

Do you really think Berrios grew? That would be a really late growth spurt no?
    I kept growing until my low 20's. Left High School at 6'0. Ended at 6'4".

Great report and a also a very encouraging report. The first thing that jumps out is that Berrios grew and that his fastball has gained a couple clicks. That’s big. It seemed some scouts were cautious about his ceiling because he lacked height. It would sure be nice to see him start to track as a potential true #1. It would also be nice compensation for Cuddyer.

I have thought (hoped) Gonsalves would be a steal from early on. Hopefully, that optimism comes to fruition. He has the frame to develop a bit more velocity. I will be watching him closely. He could be a very important part of a future contender. Meyer, Stewart, and Berrios should be solid. How big would it be if a couple from the group of Gonsalves, Eades, Jorge, Thorp, and Gibson reach their ceiling. The #5 pick hopefully figures in here too.

Harrison’s improved physique is also very encouraging. That gives us more flexibility and more options. IT could help facilitate moving Hicks for pitching if he can play the outfield effectively. Of course, if he can stick at 3rd now it helps in the event Sano can’t stick at 3rd. It just nice to see the young man put in the work and even nicer that he appears to be more athletic for the effort.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Very nice wrap up and very encouraging!

Not sure I can ever remember the Twins having so many high quality pitchers in their system. Certainly not since the early 80's when we had the likes of Banks, Gasser, Bumgarner and a few others. Unfortunately, for various and whatever reasons, tha wave never really turned out. Hopefully better luck this time. The sheer volume of talented young arms should bear out better results this time.

I'm a little disappointed in word of Harrison playing, reportedly, so much OF vs 3B. While he could turn out to be a very good OF ultimately and a real power and RBI threat, I see no reason to move him off 3B at this time. I'm sure Sano's recovery will be full and he'll prove to be at least a solid 3B. If that holds true, then a Harrison conversion shouldn't prove all that difficult. For now, as insurance, even as a tradeable commodity, I believe he should concentrate mostly on the hot corner.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Re: Berrios. He grew 2 inches easily and he gained muscle as well. Remember, he is still a teenager (19.) Plenty of room to grow. Some kids keep growing (vertically I mean) until they are 22-23. Last year he was listed at 6'0" (generously). I walked by him yesterday when he was not pitching when standing with the other kids watching the minor league game and he looks 6'2"ish.

Re: Gonsalves and his fastball. Gonsalves (and not sure if you can tell from that picture) is really thin and has very long appendages and he throws them all over during his delivery. So what a hitter is seeing is legs and arms and then that fastball drops around knee low with decent movement and it looks like a bullet with that delivery. This is a guy who can make a living with a low 90s FB. If I remember correctly, Frankie V's fastball was about that level but his secondary stuff complemented it and made it look faster. I think that this is the case with Gonsalves as well. And, yes, he has a lot of room to grow.

Another thing I forgot to mention in these reports (just too many stimuli and thoughts around here and when you sit back in the hotel to write for half to one hour, things get passed by...) I did talk about Harrison's transformation. I did not see him pitch (just drills), but his co-supplementary round pick, Hudson Boyd, also looks really good. Harrison never had a weight issue. He had an agility/speed issue. Boyd did have a weight issue. He looks fit now. I hope that translates into numbers soon...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Great write up, it's always great to hear these little observations that you wouldn't otherwise ever hear about. How much getting in better shape (e.g. BSOHL stories) will make these some of these guys better is a little questionable, but it certainly can't hurt and probably will help. I had only heard of Vielma a little bit before Keith Law put him on the Twins top 15 prospect list. Always good to see the non-elite tier guys improving and doing well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    I hope these guys stay healthy and dominate. I am looking forward to the minor league season even more than the Twins this year. I hope the depth just keeps rolling in and moving up.

Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a fun fun read.
    Thanks for the insights.

Its a big year for Boyd - actually last year was the big year - and he failed. Hopefully he can put it together and get back on track. I predict he will start in the bullpen at CR, but if he looks good in spring, maybe not. Twins spent about 1 MM on the kid in 2011. He might be the only player left from that draft who has a chance to be an impact player.

Duffy is at 95?!?!? You wouldn't know it by his SO numbers.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agree with you on your last point, about the catchers. I was incredibly impressed by all three of their Top 10 round pick catchers. I think Stuart Turner will hit and his defense is very impressive. Brian Navarreto has tremendous power, and looks OK behind the plate. He has a very strong arm.

Mitch Garver is listed as a catcher, but he is getting a lot of work at first base. He's got a good swing.

Actually, Alex Swim looked solid too. Good behind the plate and a nice swing, took good at bats.

I think Turner can fly up the system. Navarreto will take a while, but his upside is tremendous!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Seth,
    yes. The catching depth is encouraging. Grimes looked good behind the plate as well, yesterday. The thing with Swim, is that he just does not look much like a catcher to me (unlike the other guys I mentioned.) He is kind of small

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts
    Really good report, Thrylos. We seem to be as loaded with future + young pitchers as we have ever been, and it's going to be fun to watch these guys develop. If many of them pan out and we continue to have great pitching depth, it's going to put us in a strong dealing position as we become more competitive in 2-3 years. Exciting pitching prospects can bring us the kind of player who can take us to a WS, if we find ourselves in that position mid-summer in a few years.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like Grimes. He's done a lot to improve behind the plate in the 1 1/2 years since he made that move. He did play a few innings at 2B as well when I was down there.