Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Twins about to trade a starter?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are the Twins about to trade a starter?

you can read the whole story (and see photographic evidence) here, but the story in a few bullet points goes like this:

• The Twins were about to travel to Sarasota to play the Orioles with Kevin Correia slated to be the starter
    • Even before the game was called off Kevin Correia started for the AAA game in the Twins intrasquad game at Fort Myers
    • There was a Tampa Bay Rays scout who was scouting both Correia and May (who pitched for the AA team in the intrasquad game) and the Rays right now are at 2+2+? starters solidified.

Pretty sure that Correia (and May) would be an improvement of what the Rays can trot right now at the 5 spot, but it will be an interesting thing to watch the next couple weeks...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to clarify the scout was gunning and taking notes on both May and Correia? Not just May, or not just Correia?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    I'm pretty sure I'd take Jake Odorizzi over Correia any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'd take Jake Odorizzi over Correia any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
    Agreed. But isn't a David Price deal bound to happen at almost any given moment?
    Last edited by jokin; 03-17-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Just to clarify the scout was gunning and taking notes on both May and Correia? Not just May, or not just Correia?
    Yes. Not Gunning, because there was a gun about 10 feet away (look at the pic and that's the gun I look at to tell speeds, too; that black thing in the stand) but he was timing every single pitch and time between pitches with a stopwatch.

And only for those 2. AJ Achter, Matt Sumers, Matthew Hauser, Dakota Watts, Steven Gruven pitched as well, but he was uninterested in all of them.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You don't think the forecast of rain in Sarasota had anything to do with Correia pitching the MiLB game?

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Agreed. But isn't a David Price deal bound to happen at almost any given moment?
    If it doesn't happen before the first pitch of opening day, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't pitch the entire season with the Rays.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    If it doesn't happen before the first pitch of opening day, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't pitch the entire season with the Rays.
    Seems like a good trade fit could be had with the Braves? They have the type of pieces the Rays covet in a trade for a departing star. Any thing in the wind in that regard in Hotlanta?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I doubt very much if Correia or any of the starting rotation would be traded. May could be, but he really had a bad last inning, and didn't get thru it. He was pretty upset when he walked off the field. Correia really looked good on a very windy and dusty day. I like how he just looks cool all the time, nothing seems to get him upset, but one fastball he threw to low. First time I've seen any emotion from him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting speculation. If it works out, hopefully Ryan can get a better deal than Bill Smith!

We’ll see. However, I don’t think its significant he was uninterested in AJ Achter, Matt Sumers, Matthew Hauser, Dakota Watts, Steven Gruve(r))

Those guys mostly likely won’t be with the team in 2014. Its possible the scout is just doing his work getting a spring baseline for these guys in the regular season

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I doubt very much if Correia or any of the starting rotation would be traded. May could be, but he really had a bad last inning, and didn't get thru it. He was pretty upset when he walked off the field. Correia really looked good on a very windy and dusty day. I like how he just looks cool all the time, nothing seems to get him upset, but one fastball he threw to low. First time I've seen any emotion from him.
    It was a different but similar thread regarding the injury to Medlen and Beachey . But Jarrod Parker needs TJ (his second). Lot of potential partners out there.

12. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (03-18-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    The Rays might be interested as KC is cheep, only has one year left on his contract and he has MLB experience. Sounds like the Rays MO.

Maybe the Twins have to throw in May as well to get what they want. The Rays know how to get the most out of pitchers. Wouldn't be surprised if they turned May into something. A trade is possible but unlikely as there are better options out there. The Twins might be very motivated partners so who knows.
    Last edited by Dman; 03-18-2014 at 07:33 AM.

14. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (03-18-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would agree with the caveat that the Rays stay in the playoff race. I'm sure they would like to make another run with him, but if they fade I would have to think they try to trade him. If they can't find a decent return they give him the Q.O.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I don't see them getting much in return for Correia. He's worth more to us than most others because our rotation has been horrendous. He was arguably our best starter last year. From what I've seen or heard about Worley and Diamond thus far, I wouldn't want them in the rotation to start the year, which would happen if they trade KC. I'm fine with Deduno as the #5.

17. This user likes Physics Guy's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Trautmann13 (03-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Seems like a good trade fit could be had with the Braves? They have the type of pieces the Rays covet in a trade for a departing star. Any thing in the wind in that regard in Hotlanta?
    This would make a lot of sense, and both sides speculated that the fit would be right, centered around a package headlined by either Gattis or Bethancourt along with Lucas Sims and Joey Terdoslavich with a few more final pieces to be added. In fact, the Rays and Braves had some heavy talks around the deadline last year with a similar framework, but the Rays would not allow the Braves to talk with Price regarding an extension before the trade was finalized. That's apparently paramount for the Braves before they'd make a move for Price, and with the price it'd cost (pun unintentional, but it works!), I completely agree with that stance.

At this point, the Braves wouldn't make the move for him midseason, I don't believe. It doesn't work with their budget or team-building philosophy. I'm not even sure if there's room for Price in the current budget.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    Sorry, but I don't see them getting much in return for Correia. He's worth more to us than most others because our rotation has been horrendous. He was arguably our best starter last year. From what I've seen or heard about Worley and Diamond thus far, I wouldn't want them in the rotation to start the year, which would happen if they trade KC. I'm fine with Deduno as the #5.
    how about Deduno and Gibson at 4 and 5 (or Johnson)? Regardless of Correia's value, wouldn't that $5.5M come in handy in signing draft picks and internationals later this year (money is fungible)?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Well according to Twins article about the rain out, Worley was scheduled to start today and will start tomorrow.

Trading Correia makes sense to me if they feel Deduno is healthy. They can go north with Gibson as the 5th starter and use Diamond or Worley in long relief or send Gibson down until they find a way (trade or release) to resolve the situation woth Diamond / Worley.

Quote Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
    I would agree with the caveat that the Rays stay in the playoff race. I'm sure they would like to make another run with him, but if they fade I would have to think they try to trade him. If they can't find a decent return they give him the Q.O.
    I would agree, but I'm not sure they'll get a good enough return for him to move him in season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    I don't think there's much reason to think a trade is happening. Other teams scout players all the time, esp in ST. Rays are probably just doing due diligence on the Twins in case something comes up during the season.

I don't think the Twins will trade Correa until the deadline. They won't want to look like they are punting on the season by trading away last years best pitcher before the games even start. If/when they are out of it at the midpoint, they can trade him (and Willingham). Ryan knows he'll use more than 5 starters this year so it probably doesn't matter that much who the 5 are in April. As the season goes on others will get their chances.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast