Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Spring Training Report - 3/16/2014: Dueling Aces and MILB games

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Spring Training Report - 3/16/2014: Dueling Aces and MILB games

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Nice report! Good to hear Hicks did well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    Nice to hear Alex looks really good this spring. I wonder how long the Twins will be able to keep him in AAA before it becomes obvious they need to make a spot for him on the MLB team?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Great report, thrylos, thanks. I agree, I do not want to watch Kubel and Bartlett play this summer, and I cringe at the thought of watching Presley on an every day basis.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Nice to hear Alex looks really good this spring. I wonder how long the Twins will be able to keep him in AAA before it becomes obvious they need to make a spot for him on the MLB team?
    Meyer may start in NB this year. I mentioned to Gene Glynn the other day how his starting rotation will be better than last years Twins rotation.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    Great report, thrylos, thanks. I agree, I do not want to watch Kubel and Bartlett play this summer, and I cringe at the thought of watching Presley on an every day basis.
    The wind was howling yesterday, probably a steady 35 mph with gusts over 40, but Kubel launched a bunch of balls clean out of the park in bp yesterday. Gardy threatened to put him on the bus tommorrow if he kept loosing balls. Kubel said he was trying to go to left!

Good report Thrylos...I agree with you...why are the Jasons (Kubel and Bartlett) still around. Stick a fork in them, they are done.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    " Kubel said he was trying to go to left! " I don't recommend trying to go to left any more than trying to pull the ball. Hitting a baseball can be as counterintuitive as golf. A right hander does not hit a golf ball to the left by opening up his stance , hips and shoulders. That is actually the recipe for a big slice. In baseball its a recipe for weak ground balls pulled and short pop ups the other way because of the bat lagging behind. Hitters should be thinking hit up the middle and let their natural power swing pull the ball by meeting it slightly in front on a middle/in pitch. When Cuddyer, Kubel, Young, and Valencia tried to pull the ball they had terrible results. Curve balls and sliders on the outside made them look silly. My two cent theory on hitting.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    The wind was howling yesterday, probably a steady 35 mph with gusts over 40, but Kubel launched a bunch of balls clean out of the park in bp yesterday. Gardy threatened to put him on the bus tommorrow if he kept loosing balls. Kubel said he was trying to go to left!
    Love your contributions, Halsey. Thanks for taking the time! Just wondering if Kubel avoided the strikeouts during bp.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assumed that Meyer would start at AA New Britain. I just think it makes sense.

As for Kubel and Bartlett, and especially Kubel, there's too much track record to worry about 2-3 weeks of struggles at the beginning of March with irregular at bats. Don't want to just give up on them right away. Maybe they spend a month in Rochester and are ready in May. Wouldn't be a bad thing.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    A fine report, Thyrlos. Very interesting, and concise too! Seth, please take note! :-)

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Again, fine reporting Thyrlos.

Totally on board with you on Kubel and Bartlett. Time to let them go. Or at best...send them to AAA where maybe they get their swings on line and hit .330+ to earn a MLB call up.

Hicks has looked great...only seen 4 games (on TV) but the Box Scores are pretty solid when I haven't been watching. Then the Defense...he's already a borderline GG defender.

Presley sucks...

I'm more hopeful from your report that Hicks will make the MLB roster and should be starting.

Also more hopeful we'll see Alex Meyer sooner than later. My feeling is when Alex Meyer pitches, it will be Alex Meyer vs Alex Meyer, that is, he will more likely beat himself (through mistakes, control issues) than the other team beating him with his stuff being on.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    A fine rreport, Thyrlos. Very interesting, and concise too! Seth, please take note! :-)
    Note taken.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I assumed that Meyer would start at AA New Britain. I just think it makes sense.
    Why does this make sense?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Hicks, after yesterday's 4 for 4 performance, certainly has to have sewn up the CF starting position.

As to Kubel and Bartlett, they were dropped by previous teams for lack of performance. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has left room to suspect anything else is forthcoming. I just do not understand Gardy's penchant for sticking with the familiar, even when they no longer produce. It's not like he's putting his sons-in-law out on the street. These guys have made fortunes. It's just, IMHO, time to begin the transition to the next generation.