Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alex Meyer and a question of say-so w/ ST roster decisions

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    True, the Twins are not trying to win this year, that is clear.

Who, exactly, will they be "aggressive in making roster changes" with? Who in AAA is even "ready" to come up? Hicks and Pinto? It looks like Escobar might be up. They aren't going to bring up Buxton "early".
    You can't have it both ways. It is clear they are trying to win now, by giving opportunities to savy vets who may be slightly better RIGHT NOW, than unproven rookies. They have loaded up on free agent pitchers, perhaps delaying the arrival of not quite ready young talent. They have in camp Kubel, Bartlett, and Suzuki who may delay the arrival of young studs, but are possibly better RIGHT NOW than the young studs.

Clearly, the Twins have not done what many seemed to want. They did not bring in very expensive free agents who possibly could of elevated the Twins a bit this year. They also have not just given jobs to young talent, we all hope will be the future. They have walked a middle ground which opens them up for criticism from many directions. I don't know if this is the best way to go. But, I don't think it is true to say they are not trying to win this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post

Presumably both Buxton and Meyer would benefit from the best coaching and competition.-
    Not sure that's true for Buxton. To me, he was looking a bit lost against major league pitching. And that's entirely fair for a 20 YO guy who's never played AA. So putting him back someplace where he's challenged, but not overwhelmed, makes sense to me. And as ST winds down the coaches at the major league level need to be focused on spending time with guys who have a shot at playing on the major league team this year.

For Meyer, I assume it's just that they have too many potential major league pitchers needing innings than they have innings. If we didn't have so many people with possible bullpen slots it might be different. That's the only reason I could come up with, because clearly he was handling the better competition reasonably well.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    Not sure that's true for Buxton. To me, he was looking a bit lost against major league pitching.
    But unfortunately, thus far it appears that both Presley and Hicks look like they could use a road map, as well. My argument was that essentially 10 more days with the big league club would actually help Buxton look much less lost, again, thinking about the long run here (September call-up? April 2015?), and keeps the pressure on Hicks and Presley to step up their games if they want to stick around in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jimv2 View Post
    For Meyer, I assume it's just that they have too many potential major league pitchers needing innings than they have innings. If we didn't have so many people with possible bullpen slots it might be different. That's the only reason I could come up with, because clearly he was handling the better competition reasonably well.

Meyer looked fine. Comparable pitchers in other organizations are already on a more accelerated timeline. And based on the results for much of our alleged pitching depth, Meyer is clearly, literally and figuratively, head and shoulders above most every other alleged "potential major league pitcher" in that group he was up against. I get that the Twins might be looking to stash one or more of their "starting pitchers" in the pen to start out the season. But Antony is on record now complaining about the need for guys to step up, and since that's the case, when a guy is demonstrating in real time how close he is to sticking for good, he should be given the benefit of the doubt, and given the longer look he has earned. Again, I was never arguing that Meyer should be on the opening day staff, but now Gardy confirms what we both saw- and regrets his lack of "say-so", and he's publicly licking his chops about getting him back up here ASAP. It's worked in St. Louis and other places, if Meyer continues to excel, let's put him in the pen right after the Arb cutoff date in early May- I am confident that the sea of mediocrity amongst the pitching staff will make who he can replace well-known by that point in time. Assuming he's on limited innings this year, I want as many of them with the major league club as is realistically possible.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    From pitching 2 innings in an A game Meyer is now deemed almost ready for the major league team? Holy small sample size Batman!

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    From pitching 2 innings in an A game Meyer is now deemed almost ready for the major league team? Holy small sample size Batman!
    Everything has been qualified in advance with the presumption that he kicks the door in with his AA/AAA performance this spring. Don't take my word for it.

Both ZIPS and Steamer project that Meyer would be the Twins 2nd best starter:

Player IP TBF K% BB% BABIP ERA FIP ERA- FIP-
    Ricky Nolasco 177.7 761 18.3% 5.1% .304 4.20 4.10 104 101
    Alex Meyer 100.7 447 20.6% 10.5% .304 4.20 4.35 104 108

# Name Age Hand IP K% BB% kwERA kwERA- WAR
    3 Alex Meyer 24 RHP 150 22.8% 12.1% 4.03 104 1.6
    Last edited by jokin; 03-20-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Supe-UTIL "Bart-ie" gets another hit and another new position (RF) to play tonight. Further building Gardy's case for getting some say-so? Here are his most recent comments on Bartlett after his spectacular center-field catch Tuesday night:

"He's an athlete," Gardenhire said. "I mean, that was a long run; not an easy play. He made a heck of a play. He can do those things. Made a nice throw to home plate earlier. He's just an athlete. He could play anywhere you put him."

Despite his poor numbers, Bartlett's potential benefit in the clubhouse already is on display. "He's very confident," Gardenhire said. "He's that positive attitude that we like. We'll see.

There's some arguing going on (with the front office). Hope I win."

Anyone still betting against Bartlett and some "Gardy say-so" going his way by March 31?
    Last edited by jokin; 03-20-2014 at 10:57 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12