Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who I'd Take North

Who I'd Take North

LOCKS in BOLD

Starting 9:
    CF Hicks - Provides spark, interest and most potential of available choices.
    2B Dozier
    1B Mauer
    LF Willingham
    RF Arcia
    3B Plouffe

DH Parmelee- one last stand.
    SS Florimon

Bench 4:
    IF Escobar
    OF/DH Kubel - I think Gardy will want him and still believes in stick.
    1B/OF/C Herrmann - Need a back-up Catcher, looks like Pinto will be in AAA.
    UTL Bartlett - Backup CF, Gardy wants veterans. Allows another IF on bench.

Rotation:
    Ricky Nolasco
    Phil Hughes
    Mike Pelfrey
    Kevin Correia
    Sam Deduno- I think he has EARNED it. Also was probably favorite coming into it.

Bullpen: (7)
    Perkins
    Fien
    Burton
    Duensing
    Swarzak
    Thielbar - I know he has options, but he needs to be up.
    Worley- I don't think you can give up on him.

Worley is terrible give me either Guarra or Tomkin in the bullpen. No way they go north without Alex Presley. Even though he has had a terrible spring you need a guy who can play all 3 outfield positions and give you speed off the bench. The only way Bartlett goes north is if Florimon cant go to open the season.
    If it was me Id say sorry Kubel but Colabello out played you all spring and offers as much or more then you at this point. You can go play at Rochester and well give you a call later if we need you.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sub out Kubel for Colabello
    Sub out Bartlett for Presley
    Sub out Worley for Tonkin

Those three are gone. Diamond needs to "get an injury" for the time being.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Diamomd instead of Worely
    I think Colobello instead of Kubal
    I think Pressly instead of Bartlet
    I think Pinto instead of Hermann
    I could also see Diamond instead of thiebar with worley in the pen but I agree,
    Thiebar deserves it and has earned it

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley has to go north since we need a backup CF. I agree, it looks like Hermann's versatility will get him the backup C. Colabello has to be on the roster as he has certainly earned it, and Kubel is batting .080 (although so has Hammer) and Escobar on the bench.

Deduno is the #5 and he certainly has earned it. I'd think to think Tonkin has earned the last spot along with Thielbar. You are right, Diamond needs to come up with a case of "dead arm" although I'm not opposed to seeing him go either with Gibson and possibly Meyer waiting in the wings. This could change if we make a trade in the pen, like Duensing or Burton, in which case Tonkin and Hoffman would certainly make it

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TKGuy View Post
    I agree, it looks like Hermann's versatility will get him the backup
    Plus, I think they want Pinto to get more playing time to work on his defense and game calling than he would be as back-up.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett won't be the backup cf, the throwing mechanics are different and Bartlett doesn't have the arm or the wheels for it.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Many posters are saying the Twins outfield alignment should be Willingham, Hicks and Arcia to start the season - that is fine hitting-wise but it would be a disaster defensively to have both Willingham and Arcia in the outfield together. If they are to be in the lineup at the same time one of them absolutely has to be the designated hitter.

9. This user likes oldguy10's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Sconnie (03-19-2014)

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Well, first of all, before you can have a back-up catcher, you need to have a catcher so I'd put Suzuki's name on there somewhere.

Second, I'm thinking that it will be Pinto as the back-up. He may not get as many AB's as we'd like but he really needs to be learning major league hitters.

And while I suspect Kubel will come north, I'm not in favor of it. I don't see them bringing Bartlett.

Have to think about how my entire list would shake out.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Well, first of all, before you can have a back-up catcher, you need to have a catcher so I'd put Suzuki's name on there somewhere.

Second, I'm thinking that it will be Pinto as the back-up. He may not get as many AB's as we'd like but he really needs to be learning major league hitters.

And while I suspect Kubel will come north, I'm not in favor of it. I don't see them bringing Bartlett.

Have to think about how my entire list would shake out.
    LOL, my keyboard was being a bit wacky last night. I had Suzuki entered and things kept getting deleted, with the bold and what-not.

I would take Pinto in a heartbeat, IF he was assured 3 starts behind plate each week and at least 2 at DH. Problem is Gardy will not start him at DH unless he has a 3rd catcher. Not sure I want to lose Parmelee/Kubel/Collabello to carry a 3rd catcher.

1500ESPN reporting Worley let go.
    Last edited by Rick Blaine; 03-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post

I would take Pinto in a heartbeat, IF he was assured 3 starts behind plate each week and at least 2 at DH. Problem is Gardy will not start him at DH unless he has a 3rd catcher.
    I'm slightly encouraged by this quote from a LEN3 article: "If Pinto makes the team, as seems likely, the club understands that he will need to play more than twice a week."

But it is a bit of a dilemma.

I don't know why Gardenhire can't stand the idea of pitchers getting a few AB's. Some of them could probably end up with a BA higher than some of the other starters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pinto should make the team but with 5 off days in april he should probably go down the first month of the season. but I'm ok with him over Hermann. I have Hicks and Pressly in the OF with Arcia and Willingham. IF is Mauer, Florimon, Dozier, and Plouffe, with Escobar as the back up and Suzuki and either Hermann or Pinto as the back up my vote is Herman to start the season. DH is Colabello and that leaves one more bench player which is likely Bernier or Parmelee depending on what the Twins feel they need. Kubel still has a chance to beat out Parmelee for the last spot should the Twins go with that type of player over the extra middle IF.

Pitching the 5 starters are pretty much named with Gibson being the 6th starter. the bullpen is Perkins, Deunsing, Burton, Fien, Swarzak, then you have 2 spots left. Thielbar, Pressley, Diamond, Tonkin, and several others. there are too many good options here to call. Though I wonder if Swarzak is guaranteed a spot with his spring? I would think so but I haven't heard anything about him and his numbers are terrible. I bet Guerrier start the season on the 15 day DL so he gets more time and the Twins can keep evaluating. aand my last question is could Gibson be the starter who gets stashed in the bullpen to start the season?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Many posters are saying the Twins outfield alignment should be Willingham, Hicks and Arcia to start the season - that is fine hitting-wise but it would be a disaster defensively to have both Willingham and Arcia in the outfield together. If they are to be in the lineup at the same time one of them absolutely has to be the designated hitter.
    Presley might get some starts at a corner with Arcia/Hamer then DHing. If Parmelee makes the club, he could be starting at a corner sometimes, relegating Osvaldo or Hammer to DH.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    Haven't seen confirmation of this, but it wouldn't come as a huge shock.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Haven't seen confirmation of this, but it wouldn't come as a huge shock.
    I haven't seen anything anywhere else either. It may have been Mackey and Souhan wishful thinking. Mackey was telling the story how Gardy had to put the Vanimal down---but he kept going with it. Maybe I didn't catch the satire.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 382 Times in 234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    Was he released? Or was he DFA'd? The ESPN 1500 facebook page says he was optioned to Rochester which I think is impossible as he's out of options. Or did he already clear waivers when we weren't looking?

Edit: The report I saw on ESPN 1500 was from his demotion last May. I'd still like to hear if more comes from this. Letting him go would imply a release. If that's the case, you have to like Meyer and May's chances of starting in Rochester, otherwise why wouldn't the Twins try to sneak Worley through waivers unless they didn't want him taking up a Rochester rotation spot either.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 03-19-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Colabello

Take Colabello instead of Kubel or Parmalee. Diamond has probably done enough to be the proverbial "lefty with a pulse" although it may be a pretty weak pulse. Deduno is 5th starter and put Scott in the pen

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given the blurb on MLBTR http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/0...ns-owings.html that the phones are heating up for trades, I'm not sure we can forecast the 24th and 25th man very well at all. An out-of-options decision or two may become moot. (Oddly, the MLBTR blurb indicates taking on someone's o-o-o headache isn't out of the realm of possibility either.)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully there aren't o-o-o swaps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast