Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: An Unexpected Twist

Article: An Unexpected Twist

2. This user likes AJPettersen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (03-19-2014)

Wow. A truly impressive young man.

4. This user likes Gene Larkin Fan Club's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (03-19-2014)

I'm a chronic lurker here, but I had to log in and say that this was exceptional. It's easy to see baseball players as stat-producing machines. The recent "Get to Know" articles give us a little insight into some prospects history and a bit of their personality, but this is an insight into your humanity. On top of that, this was also just very well written prose. Thank you for stepping out of the usual mold of the baseball article and opening up to us.

6. This user likes tharasix's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Seth Stohs (03-19-2014)

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Great column. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

And as always, all the best on your journey.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Wow. That is some impressive wisdom and understanding. Should help him keep a healthy perspective throughout his life. I wish him and the hundred other dreamers well.

I am an avid baseball and Twins fan - read every local thing I can. Often I skip through most of it b/c it's much the same thoughts/stats/insights, etc. I long for someone to say something that is not a cliche or something that has not been said a hundred thousand times. This was that. Young man, this knowledge of letting go will serve you more than just about anything you will ever learn. Clearly your parents got this, whether they said it to you directly or not, but to have this realization at such an early age is a blessing. Whether you make it to The Show or not, you have gained a wisdom that eludes many. I will follow you on Twitter and look for more of the same, and watch for you to embrace the joy of the journey regardless of outcome! Thank you and Go Twins!!

10. This user likes cmonhank's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-19-2014)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,288 Times in 1,749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A veteran at 25.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing, AJ. Well said.

And as always, best of luck!

As others have said, thanks for the insight into your thoughts as a ballplayer, in this article and in others. Your article immediately reminded me of Paul Shirley, a fellow Iowa State grad who spent a few years after college trying to make it in the NBA while writing articles for ESPN and other sites. Thanks for such a refreshing perspective on life! Good luck in your pursuit of success as a ballplayer. From the article, it is clear you will have no trouble becoming successful in life regardless of whether you are on or off the ball diamond.

Quote Originally Posted by cmonhank View Post
    I am an avid baseball and Twins fan - read every local thing I can. Often I skip through most of it b/c it's much the same thoughts/stats/insights, etc. I long for someone to say something that is not a cliche or something that has not been said a hundred thousand times. This was that. Young man, this knowledge of letting go will serve you more than just about anything you will ever learn. Clearly your parents got this, whether they said it to you directly or not, but to have this realization at such an early age is a blessing. Whether you make it to The Show or not, you have gained a wisdom that eludes many. I will follow you on Twitter and look for more of the same, and watch for you to embrace the joy of the journey regardless of outcome! Thank you and Go Twins!!
    What a well thought out response. I have been making a point to say something different lately. Automated notes receive automated responses and I prefer genuine ones, which is why I really appreciate the kind words. Thank you for taking the time to read my words and thank you for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by flatlanddad View Post
    As others have said, thanks for the insight into your thoughts as a ballplayer, in this article and in others. Your article immediately reminded me of Paul Shirley, a fellow Iowa State grad who spent a few years after college trying to make it in the NBA while writing articles for ESPN and other sites. Thanks for such a refreshing perspective on life! Good luck in your pursuit of success as a ballplayer. From the article, it is clear you will have no trouble becoming successful in life regardless of whether you are on or off the ball diamond.
    Maybe you could pitch the idea to ESPN? Haha. Thanks for reading and for the support!

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey AJ, if you get on ESPN, be sure to plug Twins Daily!!! We'll get you a shirt!!

17. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Hey AJ, if you get on ESPN, be sure to plug Twins Daily!!! We'll get you a shirt!!
    Geez, get the guy a shirt already. He's done enough to deserve it!

19. This user likes jimv2's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-20-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    AJ, had the pleasure to meet your folks the other day when you were playing 3B at Field Two and hit against Phil Hughes and I think that you have an awesome support system and it is so obvious of how proud they are of you.
    Over at Field Three I had a change to talk with the mom of one of the Orioles' top prospects (played in the Rookie leagues last season and was invited to the MLB camp in ST and was cut early) and she said that when she talks to him he reminds him to be humble, keep his chin up and go out and do his best every day.

I think that it is plenty of good advise for everyone.

Thanks for posting this.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Sleep well A.J. And say hi to Paul and your Mom if they are still there.