Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Chris vs. Jason--Battle for the final roster spots

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

Chris vs. Jason--Battle for the final roster spots

Position player fights are ongoing this spring. The Twins could carry a hit-first guy, a versatile third catcher, a veteran utility guy or an out-of-options 1b/OF as their last two or three position players. There are a lot of guys named Chris and Jason competing for these spots. Chris I (Colabello) has hit well this spring. He is a RH hitter with power limited basically to being a DH/PH/1B. Chris II (Parmelee) is a 1b/RF, who played surprisingly well in right last year. He is a #1 Draft Choice, who hit very well in a September call-up in 2011, but has disappointed since. Chris III (Herrmann) is a backup catcher candidate. He got a cup of coffee in 2012 and then added 180 plate appearances in the lost season of 2013. He hasn't hit much at the big league level (57 OPS+), but is having a nice spring and is a versatile player who hits left handed.

On to the Jasons. Bartlett has had almost two years off with injury. He is a former All-Star, trying to hook on as a back-up. So far, he's had an 0-fer spring. Kubel, another ex-Twin, faded badly in the second half of 2012 and was terrible in 2013. So far he's been ineffective as a hitter for the Twins in spring training.

I think that the Jasons lose these battle. Both are older ex-Twins who just don't look like their old selves. Sad to say, time marches on, right now it looks like the Chris guys make the team and the Jasons go home or to Rochester, NY.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too bad it's not Fred Colabello, Fred Parmelee, and Fred Herrmann?

3. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-19-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    If the Twins need a Jason, I'd go with the Bartlett variety, who can come in the game and play short (or outfield, I suppose) after a Colabello pinch hit appearance. It would be a head scratcher and probably a little suspicious if Kubel made the team at this point (assuming he doesn't go on a sudden rampage etc etc).