Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Berardino: Tough Talk from Rob Antony

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mike Berardino wrote an article and asked the players who were called out for their thoughts.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...boss-criticism

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Well, if tonight is an answer to it ... Hicks said what he had to with his bat.

3. These 3 users like ChiTownTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-20-2014), cmathewson (03-20-2014), JB_Iowa (03-20-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Well, if tonight is an answer to it ... Hicks said what he had to with his bat.
    and 2 hits from each side too...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

5. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Ugh. Would have liked to see a little more modesty from Kubel. "He ain't too worried about it." I wonder what other people think.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Presley: "there's a fine line between trying to play your game and trying to get hits."

I think I would like to see him erase this line entirely.

8. These 2 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-20-2014), USAFChief (03-20-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the front office calling out players for underproducing but they are the ones who put them out there. While pitching was the Twins #1 priority in the off season it was obvious this team needed at least one bat, if not two. Outside of Choo I wasn't a big fan of the offensive free agents but that doesn't mean we couldn't have traded for a bat.
    It was a weaker freee agent hitting class, but certainly upgrades existed, specifically at SS and DH. And that is cutting some slack at catcher as we were in on guys that signed elsewhere. AJ specifically wanted to win and Suzuki is probably OK if he can tutor Pinto.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Presley: "there's a fine line between trying to play your game and trying to get hits."

I think I would like to see him erase this line entirely.
    Good call, what exactly is his strategy if it doesn't involve hits? Walk every at bat?

11. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    If only looking at offense, I would agree. I saw Santana play a couple of times and he was really bad, dropping balls, booting balls etc. What I saw wasn't major league defense, but I think it was closer to Gulf Coast League defense than Triple A defense. Santana hasn't been an outstanding hitter either, but it looks like he could make a big jump in that category. I will continue to be concerned about his defense until he proves otherwise.
    My worry with this kid is that he never earns Gardy's trust on defense, which is a high hurdle.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,306 Times in 704 Posts
    Antony should expect more from himself when it comes to publicly criticizing players. As a leader it shows a lack of poise and displays weakness in my opinion. There is nothing wrong with negative feedback, it's an essential part of development along with healthier doses of positive feedback but singling out individuals in a public forum will have no lasting effect. To be accurate, Antony only criticized, he didn't provide any kind of feedback that would be of any benefit to the players he called out.

It was a rookie mistake, hopefully one he realizes and doesn't repeat.

14. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The problem is that the foundation of talent isn't sufficient here to buy themselves much past mediocrity. The problem isn't the money spent, the problem is about a half a decade's worth of drafting that produced little in the way of contributors, some bad luck with centerpiece players (looking at you Morneau), and some bad personnel decisions.

The notion they could spend their way out of all that just isn't feasible or reasonable. It's also not reasonable, as Barreiro was right to say, to feign shock publicly that your meagerly talented team is performing meagerly. I would've had more patience for these quotes if Antony had gone out of his way to laud Deduno, Gibson, and others for coming in ready to earn a job. This would've felt more authentic and meaningful in that case.
    This is spot on.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Good call, what exactly is his strategy if it doesn't involve hits? Walk every at bat?
    IMO he mis-spoke, and I was mainly teasing (and I think you are too). I wouldn't really hold it against him, unless I knew more of the context. The only serious part is that I'd like better offense from him than we've seen, but hey.
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-21-2014 at 10:37 AM.

17. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Great post. Winning in this league is primarily predicated on drafting and development. You canít correct the problem you cited (several years of bad drafting) in a couple years. The core problem would appear to be corrected based on the current condition of the farm system. Of course, this is a relative statement. If you are the Dodgers or Yankees you have an extra $100M in payroll budget over the Twins and $150M over the Tampa Bay/Oakland. Obviously, spending practices and strategies are going to vary widely given the enormous difference in revenue. .

Why anyone in the FO would make any statement of substance is beyond me. You canít win with the fan base. No matter what you say, a substantial percentage is going to disagree. Twins Daily is good proof of this point. Anthony should have said that the determination of who to take North has been made even more difficult because of the struggles of some players this spring. He actually could have went on to say that increases the chances they will make a mistake. He should have acknowledged the difficulty of the situation and in broad terms let the fans know they are doing to address this situation.
    This is spot on too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Another thing I find interesting about this comment is this:

Danny Santana hit .391/.462/.696 this Spring. He was cut. It just conflicts slightly with Antony's comment, unless he expected more...
    He got sent down because his fielding was sub-par.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    IMO he mis-spoke, and I was mainly teasing (and I think you are too). I wouldn't really hold it against him, unless I knew more of the context. The only serious part is that I'd like better offense from him than we've seen, but hey.
    Actually, I think he was very much saying what Aaron Hicks was saying. They have to do the work -- be conditioned, be prepared, do the work in the cages, develop a plan for AB's -- if they do that well, the hits will come. If they press for hits, they may overlook the other work that has to be done and that won't work in the long run.

21. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    Swing to contact?

23. This user likes sandbun's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345