Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Need Plouffe's Strength

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lets ride this horse one more time and see what we have!

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 659 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Good point, and my kindergarten batting analysis above would probably pertain only against righties.

I went and looked up his splits, and in 2013 his BABIP against lefties was just shy of astronomical, .373. Is that at all worrisome? Against lefties it's always SSS, and his 2012 split went the other way for BABIP, so I guess it's not much of an issue - still, I am not sure if his L/R split can be trusted implicitly.
    His minor league splits were even dominant against lefties. The bulk of his power production has always come from facing lefties. It's why the man, in a utility and platoon role, could be highly valuable.

Delaying that another year is another blow from the Sano injury.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe's 39 day explosion was the product of adjustments that he made, as well as a torrid stretch where he centered a inordinant of pitches. The pitchers adjusted and Plouffe hasn't proven he can make a satisfactory adjustment to those adjustments. I actually thought he hit the ball very well the last couple weeks of last season, but he wasn't getting many (any) over the fence. He needs to be patient enough to get his pitch and also become a better two-strike hitter, thereby reducing his K rate to an acceptable level. If he becomes a tougher out and works the count better, I believe he will get more pitches to drive and dramatically increase his long ball total.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Agreed, Plouffe just doesn't have the track record or pedigree for us to believe this is any more than blind hope.
    I think the missing piece here is how bad the bottom 15 3B are in this league. Sure some prospects are knocking down the door, but Plouffe's .716 OPS last year was 16th in MLB, and that did not include the 39 game stretch from 2012.

Would we get a top prospect for him? No, but we would get more than a ham sandwich. But I do agree with the notion that Plouffe could provide value to us on the bench. He can play 3B, 1B, and probably LF and RF. Career .828 OPS against lefties. Certainly would be an upgrade over Arcia against LHP. Baseball reference says he is not a free agent until 2018, but I am not sure that is accurate. Either way, he is under control for I believe two more years.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 03-22-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 845 Times in 541 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I think the missing piece here is how bad the bottom 15 3B are in this league. Sure some prospects are knocking down the door, but Plouffe's .716 OPS last year was 16th in MLB, and that did not include the 39 game stretch from 2012.

Would we get a top prospect for him? No, but we would get more than a ham sandwich. But I do agree with the notion that Plouffe could provide value to us on the bench. He can play 3B, 1B, and probably LF and RF. Career .828 OPS against lefties. Certainly would be an upgrade over Arcia against LHP. Baseball reference says he is not a free agent until 2018, but I am not sure that is accurate. Either way, he is under control for I believe two more years.
    This is Trevor's Super 2 year, as he has just a little over 2 years of service time. BR is correct, he has 3 more years past 2014 of team control.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 271 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This is Trevor's Super 2 year, as he has just a little over 2 years of service time. BR is correct, he has 3 more years past 2014 of team control.
    Interesting. A 27 year old, .842 career OPS against lefties, under team control another three years, and can play 1B, 3B, LF, and RF is worth keeping around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12