Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins Place Worley on Waivers

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    They aren't releasing him. If they were doing that, they wouldn't need waivers.
    Correct. Semantics.
    Last edited by birdwatcher; 03-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.

2. This user likes birdwatcher's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-21-2014)

If someone claims Worley, he will have to stick with the major league team. The claiming team could also try to waive him and send him to the minors. Once he finally clears waivers with whatever team finally ends up with him, he will be removed from the 40 man roster. He can always be added to the 40 man roster later, but once a player is dfa'd twice, he can become a free agent.

I can't see any team willing to start the season with Worley on the 25 man roster based on his spring performance. I expect him to be sent to Rochester.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    It bums me out what happened with Worley. He seemed like he could settle in as a solid No. 3 or 4 starter and be a fun personality to boot. I hope he makes it through waivers as I still think he has some (slim) upside. Even if it was smoke and mirrors he had two pretty good seasons with the Phillies. It's really odd how it blew up so completely in the span of a year. I wonder if he ever got right after having the bone chips removed.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 335 Times in 165 Posts
    Anyone have a favorite Worley highlight?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Anyone have a favorite Worley highlight?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_shortest_book

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Time has come and gone, I'm assuming he cleared and will be sent to Rochester.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,304 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A mention was just made on the telecast of today's game, that he has cleared.

Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
    On the radio broadcast, they said he has cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to AAA.

In an article entitled, "Phillies Ruben Amaro Might Not Be Terrible Anymore," Grantland says one his best trades was Worley for Revere.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ml...s-ruben-amaro/
    "Where's the Crede?"

I am actually glad he is coming back. Gives us depth and maybe he can bounce back? Yes, I agree, I wish we never got rid of Ben Revere. Never understood that trade. I can actually seeing us trade Span, because we had Revere...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I really thought with Worley being in shape this spring and knowing he needed to have a good spring to stay in the majors was going to be OK. I did not see this coming because I believed he had a ton of motivation to get better. I just don't understand how a pitcher that pitched in the majors for two years could sink this low and be this bad.

Well time to admit I was wrong about him coming back. I don't think the Twins had much choice but to clear room for somebody else. I hope Vance gets another chance but he has a lot of work to do to be a MLB pitcher.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    On the radio broadcast, they said he has cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to AAA.
    Correct. On the Twins' website they state that he cleared waivers and was outrighted to AAA, so that opens up 1 spot on the 40-man roster.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,287 Times in 690 Posts
    I'm actually glad he cleared, something just didn't feel right entirely giving up on a 26 year old with at least some record of success. You could say the same thing about Diamond but I always felt Worley had more long term upside.

Glad it's done and the team can focus on the players that need the innings.

15. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Deduno Abides View Post
    In an article entitled, "Phillies Ruben Amaro Might Not Be Terrible Anymore," Grantland says one his best trades was Worley for Revere.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ml...s-ruben-amaro/
    As I'm sure is well known, that trade wasn't Revere for Worley. It was Revere for Worley and Trevor May. Trevor May remains one of our top pitching prospects, and from day 1 was the entire upside of that trade.

17. This user likes deanlambrecht's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-21-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two thoughts...

Worley can now have a long stretch in AAA to see if he can get it back as a starter. They can also see how he pitches from the pen. Many failed starters have long careers as relievers. The Twins get that opportunity now. He is off the 40 and needs a long stretch in AAA. Regardless of his performance early in the season, he needs to show sustained success.

The Revere trade is one they should make again. Every trade for a pitcher is a risk. Position players are always more stable. Starting pitching is a rare commodity and worth the risk.

19. These 3 users like jorgenswest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-22-2014), birdwatcher (03-21-2014), stringer bell (03-21-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts
    Which begs the question: if Worley can clear waivers, does that mean Diamond can?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Berardino says he's cleared, outrighted to Rochester. Might work out of the pen there.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    Which begs the question: if Worley can clear waivers, does that mean Diamond can?
    LH and breathing. He wasn't dreadful in the spring like Worley and I don't think he was as dreadful during 2013. I'm pretty sure that Diamond would be claimed and he might net something in return in a trade.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Two thoughts...

Worley can now have a long stretch in AAA to see if he can get it back as a starter. They can also see how he pitches from the pen. Many failed starters have long careers as relievers. The Twins get that opportunity now. He is off the 40 and needs a long stretch in AAA. Regardless of his performance early in the season, he needs to show sustained success.

The Revere trade is one they should make again. Every trade for a pitcher is a risk. Position players are always more stable. Starting pitching is a rare commodity and worth the risk.
    But they should be judged on risks. I could make a trade of an OF for a SP.....they are paid to make good decisions. This one looks pretty bad right now.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Due to the recent acquisitions of Kris Johnson and Sean Gilmartin, I dont believe maintaing the rights of Diamond are as critical as they once were. That being said if he gets put on waivers I would love to see the twins keep him and see what is capable of out of the bullpen. Hey who knows, maybe his fastball would tick up and he could be quite effective. Side note...does Raley have to make the 25 man roster for the twins to keep him or just the 40? Thanks..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast