Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Twins Need Plouffe's Strength

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems needs to be a power hitter if he is going to be in the league in 3-4 years. But I agree, a little more patience and maybe not trying to pull a ball over the LF wall in an 0-2 count are good strategies. More patience at the plate usually means better pitches to hit.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    You take out that 39 game stretch in a now 351 game career and his numbers are really bad!

Who's the real Plouffe that 39 game guy or the other 312 game guy? I won't mention that 351 games of sub par defense oops just did.

On the other hand we don't really have an option do we?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    I've never really cared for Plouffe as a player. Defensively, its not just the range, its the lack of intensity or ferocity. I have seen hard smashes at him where he turns to the side and tries to field it like a goalie. I have seen in between hoppers where he hops back with two feet as if he is afraid the ball will hurt him somehow. I just believe to play great defense at third you have to be a little accepting of the ball hitting you in the chest. Offensively, he just appears to be able to hit waist high and middle in. However, if we can take his public comments at face value I really like his attitude and am pulling for him to be successful. Down the road if Sano is the real deal that won't necessarily mean there will be no place for Plouffe. DH, 1st base and outfield should all be options.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    You take out that 39 game stretch in a now 351 game career and his numbers are really bad!

Who's the real Plouffe that 39 game guy or the other 312 game guy? I won't mention that 351 games of sub par defense oops just did.

On the other hand we don't really have an option do we?
    Agreed, Plouffe just doesn't have the track record or pedigree for us to believe this is any more than blind hope.

6. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (03-21-2014)

I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on Plouffe. Sure there's areas of his game I'm not crazy about. Defensive lapses are concerning and so is his inability to drive in runs. In 2012, his 24 HRs had to drive in the fewest runs had to be as inconsequential as anyone with 24 HRs could have. However, I like that his OPS has climbed in each year, except for 2013. Maybe that has to do with decreasing walks as much as anything. With no Sano this year, I'm ok with another heavy dose of him at 3B in 2014, but we need to see the OPS climb again.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if Plouffe should take a page out of the Dozier playbook and do something about the leg kick. Seems kinda big and kinda late.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Its a shame he got hurt when he was on that hot streak.

He was beasting for the Twins and my fantasy team. Ever since he came back, hes been mediocre at best.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Its a shame he got hurt when he was on that hot streak.

He was beasting for the Twins and my fantasy team. Ever since he came back, hes been mediocre at best.
    I wonder if he would not have some trade value. His career .711 OPS would have been 16th among 3B last year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...OPS/order/true

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I wonder if he would not have some trade value. His career .711 OPS would have been 16th among 3B last year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...OPS/order/true
    Without going through the work of looking at the teams lacking a player higher on the list, I would guess that most have part-timers or near-ready prospects they like as well as or better than acquiring our guy. I wouldn't see anyone offering much for Plouffe, a fringe prospect at most.

I still think long-term Plouffe is the RF (like Cuddyer). When Sano is ready, move Trevor to RF unless Parmalee or somebody else has grabbed it. I would try it a few times this year.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I consider it faint, I do think Plouffe should get one more chance... I hope something clicks and he can break the .800 OPS mark for the season and earn the DH/spare OF job for the next few years... I have the same hope for Parmelee... One of those guys figuring it out would go a long way towards being competitive in the latter part of this decade.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    This guy was a one month fluke. I'm going to be thrilled when he's in the role he belongs in- valuable reserve - and not everyday starter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I call him the luckiest man in the world. 39 games worth of hitting a pitch in a 5" circle made him 2.3 million. LMITW. Nobody throws it there anymore, so he is just filler. I wanted him to be the first move this off season, but he's here on the Hope Ticket still. But there is zero hope from me for him.

Trade Plouffe for whatever you can get. Move Mauer to 3B; They said on one of the Twins games that Mauer was taking grounders at 3B at one of the back fields. If he can throw runners out from home to 2B, he can throw runners out from 3B to 1B. Then put Colabello at 1B. Problem solved.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe will be the starting 3B this season... at least for the first month or so. This is his make or break year. No one knows what kind of player he is.

He is certainly a substandard defensive player, but does he have a HR juggernaut season in him? We have seen his hot streak and glimpses of something worthwhile, but everything else has been a snore.

Plouffe needs to "rock it" this year, there are no replacements. Romero is not the answer.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, Plouffe has no trade value.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    but does he have a HR juggernaut season in him?
    He can hit homers if the pitch is in a certain place, but when the pitchers stopped pitching there a while back he has been unable to adjust in a way to punish their adjustment. If he did find such an adjustment, it probably wouldn't lead directly to home runs, but (say) beaucoup singles hit the opposite way plus a ton of walks. Only at that point would the pitchers come in again to give him what he actually wants. That would be an equilibrium that I don't think would approach the power numbers we saw in that one magical time period; but it would be highly valuable, either to this team or in trade to another. The question is whether or when he will find the adjustment, but it's been the question for a season and a half now.

20. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Major Leauge Ready (03-22-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 859 Times in 553 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    Trade Plouffe for whatever you can get. Move Mauer to 3B; They said on one of the Twins games that Mauer was taking grounders at 3B at one of the back fields. If he can throw runners out from home to 2B, he can throw runners out from 3B to 1B. Then put Colabello at 1B. Problem solved.
    And new problems created?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Also, Plouffe has no trade value.
    One thing for certain, Plouffe's split against LHP has always been stellar, major and minor league, and he can play all of the corners. Maybe the Orioles?
    Last edited by jokin; 03-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    One thing for certain, Plouffe's split against LHP has always been stellar
    Good point, and my kindergarten batting analysis above would probably pertain only against righties.

I went and looked up his splits, and in 2013 his BABIP against lefties was just shy of astronomical, .373. Is that at all worrisome? Against lefties it's always SSS, and his 2012 split went the other way for BABIP, so I guess it's not much of an issue - still, I am not sure if his L/R split can be trusted implicitly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast