Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Tanaka Topples Twins and Correia

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If you look at the lineup today, you will see the biggest issue with Suzuki batting second: Gardy will bat the catcher second, which means that Pinto will bat second as he is today.
    But Pinto batting second makes a little sense. Suzuki batting 2nd does not. 1st two guys should be all about OBP.

2. This user likes Dantes929's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-23-2014)

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Bat second, play catcher. It's what everybody screamed for with Mauer last year. Looks like it stuck.

4. This user likes crarko's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-23-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    About 5 feet from a grand slam. But I agree Hammer needs to pick it up.
    Right, but as high as far. I still haven't seen any comments that Mauer shouldn't lead off. The best stick on the team doesn't need a ton of walks. I really think it's a no brainer for what we have for offense. This team needs runs and it looks like most of them will have to come from the top of the lineup, so let's do this.

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Right, but as high as far. I still haven't seen any comments that Mauer shouldn't lead off. The best stick on the team doesn't need a ton of walks. I really think it's a no brainer for what we have for offense. This team needs runs and it looks like most of them will have to come from the top of the lineup, so let's do this.
    The highest obp guy with the best speed should lead off...
    At least if you bat Mauer lead off, he will hit into fewer double plays.
    How would your lineup look with Mauer leading off?
    Mauer 1b
    Dozier 2b
    Kubel DH
    Willingham LF
    Plouffe 3b
    Arcia RF
    Suzuki/Pinto C
    Florimon SS
    Hicks CF

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    There are good arguments to be made to have Mauer in any of the first three spots in the lineup, IMO. I don't see a huge advantage to any of them over the others...the problem isn't where to put Mauer so much as finding better options for the other 8 spots. Given they don't have better options, I feel it's somewhat pointless to worry about which spot Gardy slots Mauer into, but then I've always felt who is in the lineup is way more important than how you arrange them.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

8. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jorgenswest (03-23-2014), stringer bell (03-23-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We know that batting Suzuki second is indefensible.

Honestly, I probably would go Mauer-Dozier-Arcia-Willingham to start the season. Obviously that isn't going to happen though. Maybe the best we can hope for is Dozier-Mauer-Willingham-Arcia.

Totally misread this headline as, "Tanaka, Topless Twins, and Correia."
    Turned out to be much more appropriate.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where Mauer bats is probably going to be the difference in about +/- 10 runs scored on the season overall. He's obviously the best choice on the team to bat 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. You'd never waste him lower than that in the order, but the problem is you need to fill in those other 3 spots in the order around him. I think most of us would probably grab Dozier, Willingham, and Arcia for those spots with the assumption they're the 3 next-best hitters on the team. Once you decide on those 4, in my mind you toss a coin between Mauer and Dozier for 1st or 2nd in the lineup, and likewise for Arcia and Willingham for 3rd and 4th. Hopefully Hicks forces his way into this situation, but for now he should really bat lower in the order until he proves he's figured it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12