Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Pinto..

  1. #1

    Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Pinto..

    These 4 are sort of the first wave of the rebuilding of the Twins franchise. I want the Twins to be better this year.. That means a lot. But a bigger key, in my opinion, is finding out if these 4 can be a big part of our future..

    Agree?
    Last edited by KirbyHawk75; 03-23-2014 at 11:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Posts
    1,048
    Like
    1,647
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyHawk75 View Post
    Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Pinto..
    All make the team?..

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,359
    Like
    1,314
    Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    I think they all do make the team. Most shaky would be Gibson.

    Interestingly, Gardy seemed to talk up Herrmann as one of his bench players today.

    Rhett Bollinger
    ‏@RhettBollinger


    Gardenhire hinted that Chris Herrmann could make the club based on his versatility. Would also allow Pinto serve as DH on occasion.

    Mike Berardino
    ‏@MikeBerardin
    o

    Gardy on Herrmann: "Everybody forgets about his name. I see all you guys writing stuff. You forget about that guy. He’s pretty darn good."

  4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (03-23-2014)

  5. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    666
    Like
    200
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hicks and Pinto - the Twins need offense wherever they can find it.

    I've been a fan of Hicks starting in AAA. No more.

    We need all the help we can get on offense and his upside has to be leveraged.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

  6. #5
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,764
    Like
    884
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I think they all do make the team. Most shaky would be Gibson.

    Interestingly, Gardy seemed to talk up Herrmann as one of his bench players today.

    Rhett Bollinger
    ‏@RhettBollinger


    Gardenhire hinted that Chris Herrmann could make the club based on his versatility. Would also allow Pinto serve as DH on occasion.

    Mike Berardino
    ‏@MikeBerardin
    o

    Gardy on Herrmann: "Everybody forgets about his name. I see all you guys writing stuff. You forget about that guy. He’s pretty darn good."
    There's a reason every writer "writing stuff" forgets his name. Mediocrity. What is there about his MLB slash of (admittedly SSS) .189/.268/.297/.565 and AAA slash of .227/.297/.312/.609. that leads anyone to "remember" that he's "pretty darn good?"

    "Verssatile" mediocrity isn't all that valuable, but hey, it gives Gardy his beloved 3rd catcher, so I guess another roster spot has been determined. While this move is a wasted roster spot in my mind, on the bright side, it gives Pinto a chance to try out for the RH DH role. This move, plus Hermann playing some 1B in ST, has to cause some sleepless nights for both Colabello and Parmelee.

  7. #6
    Terry should pull a Beane and trade Herrmann to the Tigers for a bucket of balls.

  8. This user likes blindeke's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    twinsfan34 (03-24-2014)

  9. #7
    I just personally believe that if we are going to lose, lose with young players. I do not want us to lose with Jason Kubel and Jason Bartlett. I want us to lose with these four and other young players(Tonkin for example). Then next year when Sano, Meyer, Buxton, Santana, May, and Rosario are ready the aforementioned players can be more established.

  10. #8
    Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,394
    Like
    420
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyHawk75 View Post
    I just personally believe that if we are going to lose, lose with young players. I do not want us to lose with Jason Kubel and Jason Bartlett. I want us to lose with these four and other young players(Tonkin for example). Then next year when Sano, Meyer, Buxton, Santana, May, and Rosario are ready the aforementioned players can be more established.
    I would amend this slightly to "lose with young players that are ready". The occasional vet that can pull out a decent season and get flipped for a guy at the deadline does have a ton of value to a rebuilding team.

  11. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    KirbyHawk75 (03-23-2014)

  12. #9
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,821
    Like
    1,649
    Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Three catchers = only 2 non-catcher bench players. Hmmm

  13. #10
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,667
    Like
    943
    Liked 1,308 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Three catchers = only 2 non-catcher bench players. Hmmm

    The possibilities for that equation have me tingling........................or numb, I can't tell.

  14. These 2 users like twinsnorth49's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Hosken Bombo Disco (03-23-2014), LaBombo (03-23-2014)

  15. #11
    Senior Member All-Star LaBombo's Avatar
    Posts
    2,821
    Like
    1,649
    Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    The possibilities for that equation have me tingling........................or numb, I can't tell.
    Yup. And as I noted in another thread, with that bench and Willi and Kubel in the lineup, we will inevitably see a pinch runner selection that is either hilarious or appalling.

  16. #12
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,681
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Yup. And as I noted in another thread, with that bench and Willi and Kubel in the lineup, we will inevitably see a pinch runner selection that is either hilarious or appalling.
    How are Scott Diamond's wheels? Maybe that's his edge for being with the team on Opening Day.

  17. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    LaBombo (03-24-2014)

  18. #13
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    343
    Like
    124
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    How are Scott Diamond's wheels? Maybe that's his edge for being with the team on Opening Day.
    I know that was said in jest, but I've always wondered why you don't occasionally see something like that. I have to believe somewhere or other there's a starting pitcher on an off day who's still much faster than some of the guys we see lumbering around the bases late in games. Probably happens more often than I realize, honestly, but I'm way too lazy to go looking for the answer.

    It's kinda looking like, at this point, all four (Hicks, Gibson, Arcia, Pinto) should be on the roster. That's a positive, like most I fell like they really need to be getting every opportunity possible at this point as we start turning over the roster to younger guys. You don't want everyone getting their feet wet in the majors at the same time, spread it out a little bit.
    Last edited by ericchri; 03-24-2014 at 11:28 AM.

  19. #14
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,681
    Like
    2,655
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Pitchers do pinch run, every now and then. I don't think superior speed, if someone has it, will be any pitcher's edge for making the roster, and I don't know if Diamond has teh skillz. But it can happen. The jest was just for a roster decision for a guy clearly on the bubble.

  20. #15
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Jim Kaat used to pinch run quite a bit. Kitty was a decent hitter too, if I recall.

  21. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Posts
    782
    Like
    38
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I saw Mike Hampton pinch run when I was a little kid. Ironically I believe it was against eventual champion Arizona Diamondbacks. I got to see the Big Unit and The Bloody Sock in the same series, and no one else was there. Nice ballpark, crappy team. (or maybe I dreamt that but I was pretty sure it had happened, dude was an athlete, Hampton that is).

  22. #17
    Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Posts
    2,272
    Like
    241
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gardy confirmed today that the Twins will go with 12 pitchers and two catchers. Also confirmed: Escobar, Presley, Kubel. So it's between Colabello and Parmelee for the bench bat.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

  23. #18
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I saw Mike Hampton pinch run when I was a little kid. Ironically I believe it was against eventual champion Arizona Diamondbacks. I got to see the Big Unit and The Bloody Sock in the same series, and no one else was there. Nice ballpark, crappy team. (or maybe I dreamt that but I was pretty sure it had happened, dude was an athlete, Hampton that is).
    Pretty respectable hitter as well, .650 OPS in his 850 trips to the plate.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  24. #19
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,608
    Like
    3,682
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Pretty respectable hitter as well, .650 OPS in his 850 trips to the plate.
    Can he play SS?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  25. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    snepp (03-24-2014), TheLeviathan (03-24-2014), Willihammer (03-24-2014)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.