Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Jose Mijares

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jose Mijares

Opted out in Boston. This seems like one former Twin who would make an excellent candidate for a return to the club on a minor league deal. The LHP pitched in some bad luck last year- leading to a poor ERA, but he still had a FIP around 3.0 and a K/9 at nearly 10.0, with a low BB/9, which is a marked improvement from his last time in Minnesota.

Why not sign him to a minor league deal with an opt-out date of June 1? This would give the club time to sort out what they intend to do with their current left-handed arms like Diamond, Duensing, etc. Probably at least as good a shot as signing Guerrier, as Mijares is still only 29.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea.
    His stats (FIP, etc.) are better than those of many.

It seems a better option than some of the long shots the Twins have taken over the last couple of years.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    As long as he was on the 2010 team, I say he deserves a shot.

4. This user likes jctwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-25-2014)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My guess would be he opted out in Boston thinking he'll get a major league contract somewhere. I would also guess that will have to be proven false before he accepts a minor league deal here, or anywhere for that matter.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    My guess would be he opted out in Boston thinking he'll get a major league contract somewhere. I would also guess that will have to be proven false before he accepts a minor league deal here, or anywhere for that matter.
    I think you are right. But he has been simply horrible this spring, and I would hypothesize that he might not have come into camp in good shape, given his, ahem, "body type". If nobody rings his phone in the next 5 days while all of the marginal guys are glutting the market, he might be more amenable to a chance to get his stuff together "back home" with the Twins on an incentive-laden split contract with opt-out.

Bad idea, He had weight issues the whole time he was in a Twins uniform, weather he had a spot on the roster or not. He has no motivation to keep weight off, why bother with him, when there are capable options in house, plus he pitched in the NL West which for the past decade or better, has been the worst offensive division in baseball, even with the current Dodger line-up!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really dont see why we need him. We hwve Thiebar and Tonkin who might not make the big league roster already.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    I really dont see why we need him. We hwve Thiebar and Tonkin who might not make the big league roster already.
    To quote Terry Ryan:

"Jesus Christ, John. You can never have too much pitching."

Probably my favorite JR quote ever, even funnier that he said it to Bonnes.

10. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-25-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    Mijares is in the exact same situation as Guerrier, ie, having to work his way back on a minor league deal, except Mijares is only 29 and has been an excellent LOOGY in the recent past (K/9 of 13.13 vs. LHB in 2013, even in a down year).

As Brock quoted TR, you can never have enough pitching. And veteran relief pitchers are a funny lot, when they strike lightning, they can do well or even dominate for a certain period of time, and then, poof- they break down physically or just lose it, for whatever the reason. And then they have to regain their health or add a new pitch or refine their mechanics- just to stay in baseball- and all of sudden, voila, many regain the magic. You don't want to get stuck with too many sunken cost 7-figure contracts with RPs that have suddenly gone "poof", without cheaper veteran arms at the ready to complement your younger, inexperienced prospect arms. Mijares, like Guerrier, is in his "poof" phase right now, so it costs nothing on a minor league deal to see if he can get in better shape and get his arm strengthened and then catch some more of that LOOGY magic.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-25-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Would we even be talking about Mijares if he hadn't been on this roster in the past?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    To quote Terry Ryan:

That quotation should come with an asterisk that reads:

(*) Unless they are smart alekses like Slowey, Breslow and Dickey or named Liriano, Worley, Neshek, Garza, Lohse or something like that.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    To quote Terry Ryan:

...and I would say that Mijares is both a figurative and literal counter-example.

15. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jctwins View Post
    Would we even be talking about Mijares if he hadn't been on this roster in the past?
    Since I brought up the topic, FWIW, yes, Mijares was brought up as an example of ex-Twins and the FO appreciation for the familiarity factor with their culture, as someone who could possibly return to the Twins on the cheap, with a fighting chance to be able to re-find his mojo.

But actually, I keep a close eye on the AL East, particularly the Red Sox, Rays and Blue Jays, who either have an eye for pitching talent and/or love to stockpile surplus arms. It's why I was disappointed that the Twins didn't more aggresively pursue Chris Capuano, who signed with the Red Sox for a relative bargain. And I also previously suggested the Twins consider Brayan Villareal on a no-risk minor league deal, when the Sox put him on waivers a month or so ago, he's one year removed from a dominant year, is only 26, and throws up to 100 MPH. The Sox also have another guy I hope they're keeping an eye on in LHP, Tommy Layne, who likely will become the odd man out with the Sox. He's had a great ST, coming in on a minor-league deal, but even with Craig Breslow going on the DL, it looks like LHP Drake Britton will get the final BP spot for the Sox.