Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Roster Projection 4.0

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    How salary comes into play for a guy making $2M is beyond me. Are we to bring our own napkins to the game this year?

2. This user likes tobi0040's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-24-2014)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,582 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It's absolutely mind-bending how often this is getting butchered, to the point where even the person correcting someone else is wrong.

Say it with me:

Alex PRESLEY is the outfielder.

Ryan PRESSLY is the relief pitcher.

Sweet smoking Jesus, people. It's not that hard.
    Chris Jonson and Kris Collabella approve of this post.

4. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (03-24-2014), LaBombo (03-24-2014), mike wants wins (03-24-2014), twinsnorth49 (03-24-2014)

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    How salary comes into play for a guy making $2M is beyond me. Are we to bring our own napkins to the game this year?
    To follow-up:

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    What indications? Are there quotes from the decision makers that indicate he's likely won a spot?
    I would guess the main indication is looking at the lineups in these late spring training games.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 466 Times in 228 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Did the Twins really bring back Nick Pinto? Ugh.
    Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To follow-up:

Bump set spike. Talk about media being on the Twins payroll...

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Oh, stewardess! I speak Blyleven!

10. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 270 Times in 194 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To follow-up:

I am shocked they would refute the claim that they would make a decision based on salary.

Quote Originally Posted by tobi0040 View Post
    I am shocked they would refute the claim that they would make a decision based on salary.
    It is about as shocking as someone jumping to the conclusion that the decison was made based on salary.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Right now the Twins' have 16 position players and 13 pitchers in camp. So it looks like it is between Diamond and Thielbar for the last pitcher spot in the BP.

Rohlfing is just in camp to help out so it is between Kubel, Parmelee, Colabello and Bartlett for 2 spots.
    I'd concur on the pitching part of this. I'm going to differ slightly on the hitters. Unfortunately, I think Kubel is in. I think right now there are three spots still being fought for.

1) Presley appears safe, but I'm not going to lock him in. Hicks should just play every day anyway. If he gets hurt, Mastroianni can be up for the next game. One of Escobar and possibly Bartlett and Parmelee - as bad as it sounds - could retrieve fly balls from the warning track for the rest of a game.

2) I'm starting to waver on if Arcia is the Opening Day guy. It might just be Kubel. That could possibly leave Colabello as a RH bench bat, which is so sorely needed.

Right now, I have 3 spots for Colabello, Arcia, Presley, Parmelee and Bartlett. With a giant "WHO KNOWS?" as my disclaimer.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    So Tonkin is not one of their 6 best RP right now? I find that hard to believe.

I admit I will be bummed if the OF is Willy, Hicks, Kubel, with Arcia not playing out there. I guess I don't understand what their strategy is. They didn't go out and sign good veterans, so they weren't really trying all that hard to fix the offense and defense. Yet they are looking like Arcia might not start much? I don't understand the plan.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'd concur on the pitching part of this. I'm going to differ slightly on the hitters. Unfortunately, I think Kubel is in. I think right now there are three spots still being fought for.

1) Presley appears safe, but I'm not going to lock him in. Hicks should just play every day anyway. If he gets hurt, Mastroianni can be up for the next game. One of Escobar and possibly Bartlett and Parmelee - as bad as it sounds - could retrieve fly balls from the warning track for the rest of a game.

2) I'm starting to waver on if Arcia is the Opening Day guy. It might just be Kubel. That could possibly leave Colabello as a RH bench bat, which is so sorely needed.

Right now, I have 3 spots for Colabello, Arcia, Presley, Parmelee and Bartlett. With a giant "WHO KNOWS?" as my disclaimer.
    I agree that Kubel is in. Interesting thought on Arcia.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It's absolutely mind-bending how often this is getting butchered, to the point where even the person correcting someone else is wrong.

Say it with me:

Alex PRESLEY is the outfielder.

Ryan PRESSLY is the relief pitcher.

Sweet smoking Jesus, people. It's not that hard.
    Color my mind bended, whatever shade that might be in the vast "Cosmos"***.

When the Twins traded for AP back on September 1, I groaned, both for the lack of return for Morneau, and for knowing that the Twins had yet again raised the TD confusion quotient on players whose last names begin with the letter "P" ("Plufe", "Pelphrey", "Parmalllee", "Pressley")....

only with this transaction......

they compounded the quandry with, Egads!, a surname homonym!.....

and we can't even get the latest one right the majority of the time, even though Alex Presley has the common spelling of one of the most famous Americans of the 20th Century.

Last edited by jokin; 03-24-2014 at 02:26 PM.

17. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-24-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So Tonkin is not one of their 6 best RP right now? I find that hard to believe.

I admit I will be bummed if the OF is Willy, Hicks, Kubel, with Arcia not playing out there. I guess I don't understand what their strategy is. They didn't go out and sign good veterans, so they weren't really trying all that hard to fix the offense and defense. Yet they are looking like Arcia might not start much? I don't understand the plan.
    I wrote about this the other day. Arcia has a 33% K-rate this spring against largely AAA pitching, and his RF performance has been painfully brutal- at times Delmon-esque. As yet another player with remaining options, this gives the Twins their rationale for keeping Parmelee and/or picking up a veteran OF this week via trade or the waiver wire.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    To follow-up:

This guy was hired originally in the PR department and doesn't understand the rules against using double and triple negatives in your public communications?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 803 Times in 506 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I wrote about this the other day. Arcia has a 33% K-rate this spring against largely AAA pitching, and his RF performance has been painfully brutal- at times Delmon-esque. As yet another player with remaining options, this gives the Twins their rationale for keeping Parmelee and/or picking up a veteran OF this week via trade or the waiver wire.
    The flip side to this is that he destroyed AAA pitching last year. I'm not sure what else he has to prove there.

That said, given Kubel's performance, I'm not sure he should be on the team either... That's my 2 cents. I could see burning the option on Arcia, it isn't the worst idea given his performance later in the year seems to have carried over to the spring...

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Bump set spike. Talk about media being on the Twins payroll...
    I dont think Berardino is a mouthpiece at all. If anything, the opposite. The direct quote is the key in this case.

Most anything the front office says this week will be newsworthy to some degree. Which is also to say that Antony has a hard job being under a microscope right now. But some reporters would have left out the lukewarm endorsement of Duensing. There's probably no deeper meaning in it but it's worth reporting anyway. Duensing has had a good run as a Twin, nothing to hang his head about, but I don't know that he's making the team this year.

I just seems like Gardy is hellbent on Bartlett making this team. He just seems done to me.. If they do not believe in Presley, they can find a better player on waivers.

Tonkin couldnt do any more to make the team, yet down he goes. And three of six relievers are lefty's? I could justify Diamond making the team if they traded duensing, but both of them? Does ANYONE feel comfortable with the Fien/Burton circus we're about to witness? And only three rhp's?

24. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee should stay. Much as I liked Kubel in his previous stint with the Twins, it's Parms that is more likely to find his form and go on a tear sometime during the season, and he's a better defensive outfielder at this point.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast