Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Josmil Pinto and Enabling Ron Gardenhire

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    The confusing thing is if defense is the reason Pinto isnt the starting catcher, how is he supposed to improve his defense sitting on the bench?
    Sit next to a former all-star at the position, and apply the advice every third game or so, for a while? Then every second game?

I'm not sure it's a lock that Pinto will be a 100+ OPS hitter to start out, last September notwithstanding.

Twins fans should feel very betrayed
    Please don't tell me how to feel.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    The confusing thing is if defense is the reason Pinto isnt the starting catcher, how is he supposed to improve his defense sitting on the bench? I could justify him making the team if he was the everyday DH, but as backup catcher? Twins fans should feel very betrayed that a terrible player like Kubel is not only stealing money, but stealing playing time from our young players.
    I think what most concerned a lot of TD posters like myself, was that Pinto might not even make the team. Well, he made the team.

This won't be a settled starter-backup situation where the backup guy only plays day games after night games or catches a single pitcher. Pinto is going to play quite a bit. In my ideal world yeah it would be a Pinto/Herrmann competition this year but it is what it is, Suzuki is on a one year contract.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    Pinto DH's and Suzuki gets hurt so Pinto has to catch and then a pitcher has to bat. I hate to be that guy but we might have pitchers that can hit just as well as a couple of our batters.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,280 Times in 512 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes929 View Post
    I hate to be that guy but we might have pitchers that can hit just as well as a couple of our batters.
    Is Bobby Korecky available?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

5. These 3 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-24-2014), GCTF (03-25-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

This is the most civil comment section I have ever seen. Quick, someone say something negative about Mauer!

Thanks for the comments, I think we all pretty much agree.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DreInWA View Post
    I think we all pretty much agree.
    I wouldn't go that far.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Under no scenario should Mauer be considered an emergency catcher.

Pinto will be catching 4-5 days a week come may 15th, book it
    Why can't Mauer be the emergency catcher? How often have we had to use one? Ever? If Mauer has to catch 2 innings a year due to some weird circumstance that's a non-starter? Really?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Because they moved Mauer off of catching so he stays healthy. Why risk your best player for even 1 pitch? Does that one game matter as much as keeping your best player healthy? No, it does not.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    Why can't Mauer be the emergency catcher? How often have we had to use one? Ever? If Mauer has to catch 2 innings a year due to some weird circumstance that's a non-starter? Really?
    In addition to what mike said, catching is very different than other positions. You repeatedly have to catch 90+ MPH objects coming directly at you, with a batter violenty swinging a bat a few inches from your head, in a crouched position wearing bulky equipment. It's not something that you can safely get accustomed to (or re-accustomed to) at the drop of a hat.

Now, if Mauer was still working with pitchers on the side or anything, that might be a little different. But why make him do that, on the off chance there's 2 innings you need him in an emergency?

That's why teams basically never use any kind of starting-level player as their emergency catcher. It's just not worth the risk.

It would be interesting, though, if the emergency situation arose in an elimination game... very VERY slim odds of that ever happening though, certainly for the Twins this year!

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    A third/ermegency catcher is a phone call away. It just shouldn't be an issue. But it is for this team. Not sure why.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,287 Times in 1,748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    A third/ermegency catcher is a phone call away. It just shouldn't be an issue. But it is for this team. Not sure why.
    The umpire will still make the pitcher bat. Even if FedEx gets your other guy from Rochester to the ballpark by the 5th inning.

13. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Liked 1,267 Times in 732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The umpire will still make the pitcher bat. Even if FedEx gets your other guy from Rochester to the ballpark by the 5th inning.
    Didn't we have pitchers with a higher BA than Drew Butera?

15. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Didn't we have pitchers with a higher BA than Drew Butera?
    Yeah, but it was totally the small sample size, not that Butera was bad or anything. Pretty sure of this because I remember Gardy mumbling something about him having quality at bats in a postgame interview after yet another crushing defeat in which Butera went 0 for 4.

Plus, framing ftw!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Colabello making the team, there won't be much need for Pinto to DH.

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Pitchers bat fairly often in the NL, and the fatality rate is extremely low.

19. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12