Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Bartlett vs Presley
    This says it all......sigh.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that Rohlfing is going down.

My feeling is Bartlett has to go...just hasn't done anything and the 2 years away. Just can't see it. Not much upside here. If he takes the AAA demotion, hits .320+ bring him back up in May.

I like Thielbar over Diamond.

Colabello has to stay, one of the best bats we have. No one is locking down the DH or LF jobs, problem is he's similar to Willingham, but can play 1B. My best is Willingham hits decently well, any injuries to teams needing a guy, he's deal for a Sulburan (for Butera) like prospect as soon as it's available.

Parmalee is the other problem, in that he's a lot like Kubel. But Parmalee can play some 1B.

In both cases, Colabello and Parmalee aren't as good as Willingham and Kubel respective to right now. But are younger, offer more potential, and can play more positions respectively.

Keeping both of them on the roster might tell a bit of the direction the Twins will be going in 2015. They'd likely want to figure out if Colabello and Parmalee have any future with the Twins this year. 2015 will offer the likes of Vargas at 1B/DH and maybe Buxton in the OF which could squeeze any superfluous room.

If Gardy's a platoon guy this year, he'll keep the some LH/RH options. Colabello makes sense over Presley/Kubel as we already have quite a few LH hitters with Hicks and Arcia.

Kinda see Presley as expendable if they like Hicks. Presley's glove isn't that great. It's better than the others, however everyone else: Willingham, Arcia, Kubel, Colabello offers more bat than Presley.

All in all, kind of a crapshoot I guess.

I do think Hicks won the position though...after Rob Anthony wanted someone to step up. Albeit, he's had a few Puig like moments on the basepaths.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would enjoy watching Pinto behind the plate 5 days a week under the direction of the major league coaches(supposed to be your organization's top teachers) much more than I would enjoy a season of Suzuki who is probably not the future.

I would prefer Colabello and Parmalee on the 25 man roster for a full season to see what their ceilings might be as opposed to plugging Kubel and Bartlett and Presley in there.

Tonkin was fun to watch in spring training and did a really good job. Thielbar was very solid last year. I would rather keep those guys on track and progressing as they currently appear to be. If you stick Diamond and/or Deduno in the pen and send them down, what message does that send? The guys have done what you asked them to do. I doubt that we need to hoard our fringe players considering our track record these past 3 years.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins need to keep the young players and see what they can do. Diamond should be sent thru waviers and back to Rochester. Afraid if he pitches well in his next outing, the Twins will send Gibson down, not to lose Diamond to waivers. Twins need Collabella's bat off the bench. Do not know what they are going to do with Parmelee, who the Twin need to see if he can stick up here. Should send Kubel and Bartlett to Rochester for a month, until the young players can make it or fail. Then you make your decisions.

5. This user likes beckmt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-24-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    All the remaining players (aside from Rohfling) will see a LOT of time at the ML level even if they don't make the roster. So it makes little sense to cut Diamond, Parmelee or Kubel for the either Theilbar or Colabello, even if the later are more deserving. *Similarly, I could see Bartlett making the roster over Presley, to keep Bartlett with the organization, and if Kubel and Willingham will see a lot of time in the OF. *Edit: I wrote this assuming Presley has options, which he doesn't; Bartlett will not make the roster.

The AAA guys are just a phone call and a day away; and having the perfect roster is less important than having a larger pool of players who can fill roles as injuries inevitably occur.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 03-24-2014 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Presley lack of options

7. These 3 users like PseudoSABR's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-24-2014), DaNutz (03-24-2014), stringer bell (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Double-A troyhobbs's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    mlbtraderumors is saying Kubel and Escobar are in and Bartlett is out. Not sure what that means for Parms and Calabello. Parmelee is a former 1st rounder w/ a nice minor league resume, I'd hate to see him out and then go rake somewhere else. My feeling is that they don't want Diamond but don't want to lose him for nothing. Hopefully there's a lot of transactions this season or it doesn't appear like there'll be a lot of reasons to follow the team after May, of course most of us will for some reason.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 344 Times in 168 Posts
    Did I miss something last year in that Colabello showed he was a good hitter at the major league level? As I remember it he was really bad and a few at bats in the spring often don't mean anything. Luke Hughes a few years ago, Aaron Hicks last year.

10. This user likes Winston Smith's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (03-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Did I miss something last year in that Colabello showed he was a good hitter at the major league level? As I remember it he was really bad and a few at bats in the spring often don't mean anything. Luke Hughes a few years ago, Aaron Hicks last year.
    Most guys struggle when they first arrive in the majors. Some of them do better in their second chances, others do not. You never know if you don't give them a second chance.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    This says it all......sigh.
    Not really. Bartlett can play other positions, Presley is more or less worthless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    All the remaining players (aside from Rohfling) will see a LOT of time at the ML level even if they don't make the roster. So it makes little sense to cut Diamond, Parmelee or Kubel for the either Theilbar or Colabello, even if the later are more deserving. Similarly, I could see Bartlett making the roster over Presley, to keep Bartlett with the organization, and if Kubel and Willingham will see a lot of time in the OF.

The AAA guys are just a phone call and a day away; and having the perfect roster is less important than having a larger pool of players who can fill roles as injuries inevitably occur.
    Except Presley is out of options. It makes little sense to thin our CF depth in order to keep Bartlett around. As of today, they have just one roster spot open for Kubel. Maybe they could trade Diamond between now and the end of spring. If so, they could open a spot for Bartlett. But they still would lose Presley to a waiver claim, which would mean Mastro and then nobody until Buxton is ready. They need Presley in case of injury.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    Not really. Bartlett can play other positions, Presley is more or less worthless.
    Bartlett has played all of two innings in center field in Spring training. I would not want him out there on a regular basis.

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Bartlett has played all of two innings in center field in Spring training. I would not want him out there on a regular basis.
    Oh he wouldn't be out there much, just as Presley shouldn't be either. Bartlett would spend alot more time in other positions. I'm certainly not a Presley fan and would rather have Mastro around. I don't see Presley as a loss if gone.

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    Here's a fun idea. The Yankees have said Ichiro is available and is willing to be a LH hitting 4th OF. I'd deal Diamond for Ichiro if the Yankees pay half the salary.
    I would trade Diamond for Ichiro straight up, but why would the Yankees want Diamond?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Except Presley is out of options. It makes little sense to thin our CF depth in order to keep Bartlett around. As of today, they have just one roster spot open for Kubel. Maybe they could trade Diamond between now and the end of spring. If so, they could open a spot for Bartlett. But they still would lose Presley to a waiver claim, which would mean Mastro and then nobody until Buxton is ready. They need Presley in case of injury.
    Oh, agreed. I had assumed that Presley had options given the talk about Bartlett playing CF. Presley clearly makes the roster. Maybe they are just trying to lure Bartlett into taking the minor league deal rather than giving him release (ala Guerrier). Bartlett has a wife or home or something in Rochester (iirc)?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't care much for Pressley, but I would rather have him than Bartlett. Bartlett's days of being a productive major league player, at any position, are likely over.

Has anyone studied any of the other roster cuts that could happen on other teams to see if any would be an improvement on what we've got? From the discussions on the board I'd assume anyone's garbage is better than ours.....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Oh, agreed. I had assumed that Presley had options given the talk about Bartlett playing CF. Presley clearly makes the roster. Maybe they are just trying to lure Bartlett into taking the minor league deal rather than giving him release (ala Guerrier). Bartlett has a wife or home or something in Rochester (iirc)?
    There is a difference between Guerrier (same with Kubel) and Barlett. Guerrier needed to be notified by tomorrow if he was making the MLB roster and if not would've had to been release or paid $100k retention bonus. Since Bartlett was out of baseball last year, the veteran retention bonus doesn't apply to him.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawn of Mientkiewicz View Post
    Has anyone studied any of the other roster cuts that could happen on other teams to see if any would be an improvement on what we've got?
    Actually yes, if you take a look at the main Twins Talk forum page on TD (Click on "Forum Home") you'll find these:

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php/10647-Jose-Mijares

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...Juan-Francisco

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php/10635-J-D-Martinez

You could go further back and find others, I'm sure.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    OK, my point was we have Jason Bartlett and Alex Presley battling to make the 25 man.......that depresses me.

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    There is a difference between Guerrier (same with Kubel) and Barlett. Guerrier needed to be notified by tomorrow if he was making the MLB roster and if not would've had to been release or paid $100k retention bonus. Since Bartlett was out of baseball last year, the veteran retention bonus doesn't apply to him.
    He had a contractual date of tomorrow, though and he and the Twins mutually agreed to push it back to Sunday:

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...terans-opt-out

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast