Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Article: Monday Morning Roster Cuts

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    I don't know if Kubel or Bartlett should make the team this spring, but I do think their ages should have little to do with it. Their injury history is a consideration, as well as recent production, as well as this spring's performance. A major consideration is the competition. The thing is though, none of them(Parmelee, Collabello, Presley) are really at this point any kind of long term answer. Kubel and/or Bartlett are just about is likely to be around in 2 or 3 years as any of these guys. The long term answers are either in the minors or will have to be acquired through free agency or trades.

So, I really think you put on the roster the guys you believe are most likely to help right now. I doubt if any of these guys have any long term future in the majors or with the Twins. The only possible exception is Parmelee and I am increasingly less confident that he can reach his potential.
    This one and USAchief's about Kubel being only 31 are two things that are importantly ignored in many posts. I for one want as much youth as can be put on this roster, but truthfully, none of the players at the end of ST were keys to the future.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It's pretty embarrassing to have Jason Kubel on this team given Antony's comments about no one taking the job. Kubel is potentially done as anything other than a middling-DH hitter at best.
    Embarrassing? For whom? We could use a middling-DH, actually.

That is the most aggravating part ....

Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    I know it's only spring training, but this team has scored 18 runs in the last 7 games. That's all I see from this lineup on a regular basis. To put it in perspective, Justin Verlander pitching every day for this team wouldn't go .500.
    While we all know about the pitching problems from last year, during last 1/2 - 1/3 of the season, our starting lineup should've been playing for Rochester in the International League.

At what position(s) last year did we even get "average" production?

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    Counting the days until there's a photo of him muffing a pop up with Kubel jogging in behind him.
    Only acceptable if a certain BYTO'er comes out of retirement to sport it as his avatar.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

5. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

GCTF (03-24-2014), TheLeviathan (03-24-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It's pretty embarrassing to have Jason Kubel on this team given Antony's comments about no one taking the job. Kubel is potentially done as anything other than a middling-DH hitter at best.

You better believe that this means about a 50/50 split at C with Pinto basically never being the DH because of irrational fears. Herrmann might be more useful than Kubel anyway!
    Kubel has shown a bit of improvement lately and I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a shot. If he really is done, they can send him down/release him in a few weeks and bring Herrmaan up. Then Pinto probably spends more time at DH.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Actually yes, if you take a look at the main Twins Talk forum page on TD (Click on "Forum Home") you'll find these:

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php/10647-Jose-Mijares

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php...Juan-Francisco

http://twinsdaily.com/showthread.php/10635-J-D-Martinez

You could go further back and find others, I'm sure.
    no nitpick the question was could be available, nott is available

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    ESPN 1500 reports

Twins news this a.m.: They've released OF Jermaine Mitchell and RHP Matt Hauser, both minor leaguers.

I think they'll keep Parmelee over Kubel, Kubel gets $2 million if he makes the roster, and I don't think they want lose Parmelee for nothing yet, I wouldn't mind seeing Presley, Hicks, and Arcia in the outfield and move Willingham to DH, that looks very good defensively, but I can't see that with Pinto up.I don't like the backup catcher being the DH, unless they change their mind and let Mauer be the emergency catcher, but only to finish a game, if needed

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts

Two questions what can we realistically get for Duensing and where did Matt Hoffman come from? Thank you

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heimer View Post
    Two questions what can we realistically get for Duensing and where did Matt Hoffman come from? Thank you
    Hoffman was a member of the Tigers farm system, I believe. The Twins signed him as a minor league free agent in December.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Not to nitpic, but you might want to fact check everything in this post.
    I fully admit all the numbers in my post were guesstimates. Was I that far off though?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I fully admit all the numbers in my post were guesstimates. Was I that far off though?
    Well, for starters, do you think the Twins are going to score 200 more runs this year than last? That's essentially what you predicted.

Liked 3,159 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well, for starters, do you think the Twins are going to score 200 more runs this year than last? That's essentially what you predicted.
    And in the two years where Santana won his CYAs the Twins did score 200 ans 180 more runs.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
    It is not so much who is on the opening day roster and starting but by Mother's Day whp is playing, and who is not. When there are a bunch of players who are not hitting what they weight heads should roll. If they are the manager's guys, there by his insistance, his head can go with theirs.

17. This user likes The Wise One's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-26-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    It is not so much who is on the opening day roster and starting but by Mother's Day whp is playing, and who is not. When there are a bunch of players who are not hitting what they weight heads should roll. If they are the manager's guys, there by his insistance, his head can go with theirs.
    I agree that looking at the roster on Opening Day is a bit shortsighted because changes will happen. However, whoever makes the 25-man will get opportunities and with opportunities are both a chance to lose your current job and a chance to be promoted. I imagine Escobar will start quite often in April, as he did last year, and if he plays well, he keep getting many opportunities. The same would be true for Presley, Pinto and whoever is the 25th man (Parmelee, Bartlett, Colabello). Colabello would have a role as RH DH and would be the backup 1b, Bartlett would be a second utility infielder and (I guess) a potential backup outfielder, and Parm would back up the outfield corners, first base and DH. Truthfully, if Parmelee makes the club there's not a real defined role for another LH hitting corner OF except to back up the best player on his infrequent days off.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Embarrassing? For whom? We could use a middling-DH, actually.
    This. I think his floor is no worse than Doumit. His ceiling is higher. Not embarrassing, unless you think he'll hit like he did at the start of spring training all year. If he hits like that, he'll be gone by June and we'll move Willingham to DH and call up Ortiz or somebody to play left field.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345