Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parmelee or Kubel?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Parmelee or Kubel?

Wouldn't the Twins be better of with Chris Parmelee over Jason Kubel? With Parmelee out of options why not give him one last shot with the club. If he fails miserably you could just recall Kubel and see if Parmelee would clear waivers and send him to Rochester or just say enough is enough and cut your losses with him.
    If you look at the spring training numbers neither player should make the club. To be honest I would rather have Chris Colabello than either player if they cannot find a better player who gets cut before the season starts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    With Herrmann getting sent down, I think Colabello is making the team as a RH bench bat. I agree with picking Parmelee also, hopefully the team comes to their senses.

3. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

darin617 (03-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't have a lot of faith in Parm. He has one very big hole in his swing: He can't hit the belt-high fastball. Not surprisingly, he gets a steady diet of them, and he makes a lot of outs. I hate to lose a former first rounder, but I think Kubel has the better chance to succeed, despite his slow start in spring training.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel was given an unconditional release from his team last year and hasn't set the world on fire so far this spring. I for one would much rather give Parm one last shot....

6. This user likes diehardtwinsfan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

darin617 (03-24-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Simple answer (actually a question: ) If the Twins were to pass them both through waivers (I know they do not have to do for Kubel, but it is hypothetical) who gets claimed first?

The Twins would be better with that guy (even just to trade him away...)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

8. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Kubel would be snapped up first. But that won't happen as he has to make the team. Why give Parmelee one last chance? Seems he's had plenty of last chances and doesn't take advantage.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Looks like it's Parmalee or Colabello. I'd prefer Parms.

Neither Kubel OR Parmelee should make the team. My bench is Herrmann, Cowbell, Presley, Escobar, and Bartlett.

12. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-25-2014)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While Colabello has performed better in the spring and a RH bat seems to fit better off the bench, I really can't get Colabello 2013 off my mind. Almost all the time last year, he looked lost. Colabello looked pretty sharp at first when I was watching, but his hits were off minor leaguers and early in the spring. FWIW, BBRef says Colabello has faced AAA pitching (8.2). We know he can hit Triple A pitching.

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 172 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If having to choose between the two, and this means Colabello gets his shot to begin the season with the big league club, and probably deserves it, I'd rather open with Parmelee. He provides 3 position flexibility, is a better OF option than Willingham, and offers Kubes the chance to continue to rebuild his swing at Rochester and be recalled at a later date if successful. Perhaps as little as a month in.

However, this assumes he passes through waivers AND that he agrees to take the Rochester assignment.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another hypothetical (and unfortunately not so) : It might not be a Kubel vs Parmelee choice. Kubel has made the team. It might be a Parmelee vs. Presley choice. And Gardenhire has played Parmelee at CF this Spring and has hinted that Kubel would play the OF as well. Got to DVR the game that he starts Kubel-Parmelee-Willingham at the OF.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

16. These 3 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-25-2014), Sconnie (03-25-2014), VandyTwinsFan (03-24-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kubel has no long term value.

His numbers in 2010-2011 at age 28 and 29 suggest that he wouldn't play long into his 30s. That OPS in the 750s is going to fall. He has no defensive value. He is a liability on the bases. His projections of an OPS in the neighborhood of 700 is reasonable. I don't see how that would fit a contending team. It certainly doesn't fit a team trying to build a foundation.

The Twins have failed to give Parmelee enough opportunity to know what he can bring. It can take 1000 major league plate appearances for a player to establish his value. After 2+ seasons he is not even 2/3 of the way there. Instead 90 loss teams were giving at bats to no upside veterans. The Twins would be much more sure if Parmelee had a future if they had invested consistent playing time. They didn't. Now they don't know what they have in him. Designate him or keep him. They will have to guess. Fortunately, the other teams don't know either and he could clear waivers.

The best option might be the third option. Maybe there is an outfielder that is out of options on another team that will be designated. He could be better than either Kubel or Parmelee.

The best answer might be neither.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Another hypothetical (and unfortunately not so) : It might not be a Kubel vs Parmelee choice. Kubel has made the team. It might be a Parmelee vs. Presley choice. And Gardenhire has played Parmelee at CF this Spring and has hinted that Kubel would play the OF as well. Got to DVR the game that he starts Kubel-Parmelee-Willingham at the OF.
    Mix that with fly baller Phil Hughes and there should be a lot of entertainment.

Also, this just goes to show again how utterly useless ST competitions are. Kubel could literally not have been a worse player all spring and he's still got a spot.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Also, this just goes to show again how utterly useless ST competitions are. Kubel could literally not have been a worse player all spring and he's still got a spot.
    While useless for projecting, they are necessary for the pitchers to build towards the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    While useless for projecting, they are necessary for the pitchers to build towards the season.
    Totally agree, I was only talking about competitions for spots.

Willingham looks so bad in the field that Parmelee is almost a necessary option as Kubel is not much of an option in the field anymore but probably still better than Willingham and Colabello is not as good as Parm. In a pinch Parm can play center and also plays 1b so he fills that "interchangeable parts" mantra mentioned by Gardy. I have not been at all impressed with Presley's play in the field either so Presley might actually be the odd man out. Not at all something I expected to say at the start of Spring Training.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Between Kubel and Parmelee, my preference is Parmelee. Kubel was pretty bad for the latter half of 2012, all of 2013, and all this spring. I think he has nothing left in the tank. He can't run, he can't field, he's probably not good enough to DH. I think this is the definition of falling off a cliff.

Parmelee probably doesn't have the upside we thought he did in 2011, but at this point it seems fairly clear to me that it's higher than what Kubel brings. Furthermore, he has team control remaining while Kubel is in his 30s and on a one-year contract, meaning he has to be viewed as strictly a short-term option. Is it really worth losing Parmelee to watch Kubel flail in the majors for a couple months before he's cut?

I say Parmelee all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Wouldn't the Twins be better of with Chris Parmelee over Jason Kubel? With Parmelee out of options why not give him one last shot with the club. If he fails miserably you could just recall Kubel and see if Parmelee would clear waivers and send him to Rochester or just say enough is enough and cut your losses with him.
    If you look at the spring training numbers neither player should make the club. To be honest I would rather have Chris Colabello than either player if they cannot find a better player who gets cut before the season starts.
    My Thoughts I wrote on that last night on another thread, Parm has more flexiblity defensively, and would probably be as good as Kubel, with a little less power. I would be willing to bet they are working on a trade with Parm and/or Diamond. Pirates, I bet would be in on Parm, doubtful on diamond, but you never know. They aren't going to run Parm through waivers Because he'll get claimed and they don't want to lose him for free, he'll either get traded or make the roster or make the roster until he gets traded. Colabello or Bartlett will make the roster, for a right handed bat, which means Presely may be the odd man out. Its also doubtful that Colabello and Parm both make the roster, due to basically being the same player and playing the same positions. They also need a bat that is good against lefties, who ever it is.

Man we're gonna be starting some terrible DHs this year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast