Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parmelee or Kubel?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    The Twins might keep both Kubel and Parmelee and stash Arcia at AAA.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I get the feeling Kubel's going to be playing LF with Willingham the DH, for what it's worth, even though it was assumed the reverse going into ST.

I said it on another thread, I'm not excited about Kubel making it based on last year and this spring, but he's got enough track record I can ignore SSS spring training stats for now. I just want him to actually produce to keep his spot on the roster. We don't need a veteran not-part-of-the-future guy taking up a spot on the team if he isn't putting up worthy numbers.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I actually think this is fairly likely. And it makes you wonder what they rebuild strategy is, if they are going to not play young players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Picking Parmelee is bascially picking both of them. Kubel is one flight away and can be summoned the next day if/when Parmelee/Colabello/Willingham/Arcia flop or get hurt. It doesn't work the other way around, I just don't understand the hesitation. It's not like you HAVE to commit to Parmelee just because you choose him, his stay at with the Twins doesn't have to be long.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Another hypothetical (and unfortunately not so) : It might not be a Kubel vs Parmelee choice. Kubel has made the team. It might be a Parmelee vs. Presley choice. And Gardenhire has played Parmelee at CF this Spring and has hinted that Kubel would play the OF as well. Got to DVR the game that he starts Kubel-Parmelee-Willingham at the OF.
    This will be the game the pitching staff boycotts.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The notion of this makes me want to scream.

Arcia needs to play everyday. Period.

7. These 3 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (03-25-2014), MC23 (03-25-2014), Reider (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    This is entirely possible, though I hope not.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

If the 25 best players made the team, then Meyer would be coming north.

Arcia's got options, and he plays the same position as Kubel and Parmelee (whatever that is). It's not what I would do, but to be honest Arcia hasn't lit the world on fire in ST. From what I saw of him, he's having a tough time making contact.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    If the 25 best players made the team, then Meyer would be coming north.

Arcia's got options, and he plays the same position as Kubel and Parmelee (whatever that is). It's not what I would do, but to be honest Arcia hasn't lit the world on fire in ST. From what I saw of him, he's having a tough time making contact.
    The difference between Meyer and Arcia is competing player.

Meyer is competing with the likes of Gibson, Pelfrey, and Correia. Correia and Pelfrey should be adequate starters. Gibson is also a prospect and should be in line to get a shot before Meyer, especially considering how he has looked this spring.

On the other hand, Arcia is blocked by two bad players. It is not only likely that he's better than Kubel and Parmelee on Opening Day, it's likely that he's much better. The same can't really be said for Meyer, who won't be killed by another couple of months in the minors. Arcia has already dominated every level of the minor leagues and looked like a decent MLB player in 2013. He needs better competition to advance at this point.

11. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

savvyspy (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    I'm almost convinced the Twins planted Bartlett at ST to overshadow how bad Kubel is at this point. Bartlett has been an embarassment and the fact the FO is still mentioning him boarders on gross neglegence. Kubel is maybe a rung up the latter but neither has any business in the majors at this point.

I say you give Parmalee the RF job and if he's not producing by the end of May you waive him and bring up one of the other replacement level guys we have in Roch.

Arcia HAS to make this roster or someone needs to investigate them purposly tanking the season. Arcia is the 2nd best player on the roster and its not close.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by savvyspy View Post
    Arcia HAS to make this roster or someone needs to investigate them purposly tanking the season. Arcia is the 2nd best player on the roster and its not close.
    Eh, comparatively speaking and taking position into account, Dozier might be the second best guy.

But Arcia is definitely in the conversation.

And that's pretty sad, actually.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Kubel has been added to the 40 and 25 man roster, so the question now becomes Parmelee or Colabello, or Bartlett.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 332 Times in 210 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not what I would do, but to be honest Arcia hasn't lit the world on fire in ST. From what I saw of him, he's having a tough time making contact.
    I know it's just spring training stats, but this worries me too. Arcia saw his K rate skyrocket in 2013, and it's almost exactly the same this spring.

Actually, aside from Hicks, the whole team seems to be carrying over that K bug from 2013. Even Mauer.

That's one of the reasons I was excited about Danny Santana -- while he doesn't draw walks, the guy seemed to really cut his Ks last year, and they stayed down this spring while he hit pretty well (admitted against mostly minor league competition).

16. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-25-2014)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With Kubel locked to make the team, it might be a Parmelee vs Arcia competition. Or maybe Presley vs Parmelee. Or wait, Colabello vs Parmelee. Parmelee vs EVERYONE!!!

But in all seriousness, I think Parmelee should win and get a roster spot. If they can give him a few more PAs, maybe, just maybe he could hit. There's got to be a way they can teach him how to hit a fastball belt-high. If our staff won't do it, Baltimore's staff will. (or whoever else claims him. Probably the Astros actually.)

I also hope it's a given that Bartlett's off the team. I like him, but frankly he has no business on this roster.

Just announced that Twins informed Kubel he made the team.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arcia needs to play every day with the big league club. Period.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The difference between Meyer and Arcia is competing player.

Meyer is competing with the likes of Gibson, Pelfrey, and Correia. Correia and Pelfrey should be adequate starters. Gibson is also a prospect and should be in line to get a shot before Meyer, especially considering how he has looked this spring.

On the other hand, Arcia is blocked by two bad players. It is not only likely that he's better than Kubel and Parmelee on Opening Day, it's likely that he's much better. The same can't really be said for Meyer, who won't be killed by another couple of months in the minors. Arcia has already dominated every level of the minor leagues and looked like a decent MLB player in 2013. He needs better competition to advance at this point.
    Dear God...to even utter the world 'blocked' in consideration of those two guys...oye!

I'm with the crew Arcia has to play and play in MLB everyday he can.

And overall...like this, until those on the higher end prove they can't cut it. To which Arcia would really have to tank for that.

Arcia > Colabello > Parmalee > Kubel

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take Parmelee bc he doesnt have options and Kubel is on a minor league contract. Personally I think its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread should be re-titled 'Punch in the face or kick in the wiener?'.

And if either guy has any bearing on Arcia being sent down, then my guess is that the answer is 'both'.

23. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

nicksaviking (03-26-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    This will be the game the pitching staff boycotts.
    They boycotted most of them last season, so that would not be much different...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

25. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (03-25-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast