Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parmelee or Kubel?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VandyTwinsFan View Post
    Just announced that Twins informed Kubel he made the team.
    He was added on the 40 man roster...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,674 Times in 836 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    He was added on the 40 man roster...

3. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-26-2014), Since71 (03-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Totally agree, I was only talking about competitions for spots.
    I don't think it was ever a competition. They had a gentleman's agreement.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

5. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-25-2014)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Probably true, but I'd suggest most competitions are basically the same - the decision was made long before any meaningless ST at-bats.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I guess the real question is who is the 25th guy? Colabello, Bartlett, and Parmelee are fighting for one spot IMHO. While he fits the poorest of these three, I hope the Twins take Parmelee. If it doesn't work out, they can undo that move and promote either CC or "Barty".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    So I guess the real question is who is the 25th guy? Colabello, Bartlett, and Parmelee are fighting for one spot IMHO. While he fits the poorest of these three, I hope the Twins take Parmelee. If it doesn't work out, they can undo that move and promote either CC or "Barty".
    I don't know why they need to be so lefty dominant. Colabello at least can platoon with Kubel, who is historically mediocre against lefties, and worse the last few years. Parmelee doesn't really have a role now, except perhaps platooning with Willingham. But he's not a liability against righties. My guess is Parmelee is like Diamond. They will try to find a taker until the last day of spring. If they can't, DFA.

Gardy has pushed for Bartlett's versatility, but he just doesn't hit enough. He's a little better the last week, yet still not good enough. And he never had much power. Bartlett might restructure again. Or he might go home. He has less than a week to decide. It's up to him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's look at the last possibility, Twins could option Florimon to give him a month of AB's while he recovers and start Escobar with Bartlett the utility player. They could then bring Florimon back up and replace whoever does not cut it.
    Parmelee is probably gone, unless the Twins send Arcia to Rochester, do not see him making this club.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Let's look at the last possibility, Twins could option Florimon to give him a month of AB's while he recovers and start Escobar with Bartlett the utility player. They could then bring Florimon back up and replace whoever does not cut it.
    Parmelee is probably gone, unless the Twins send Arcia to Rochester, do not see him making this club.
    The possibility of sending Arcia to Rochester just so you can hang onto a AAAA player makes me physically ill. Parm's best hope is with an other organization. We gave him two good chances. He failed both times. It's Arcia's turn.

11. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    The possibility of sending Arcia to Rochester just so you can hang onto a AAAA player makes me physically ill. Parm's best hope is with an other organization. We gave him two good chances. He failed both times. It's Arcia's turn.
    I don't know that he really did get two good chances. From memory it seems that he got his abs in snippets without getting consistent abs for an extended period of time. With relatively few abs at the major league level I don't think we know if he is AAAA or not. Sure makes me wish he could have got them last year so we had an idea. If he could hit at the major league level he would be a useful player with the ability to play multiple positions

13. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (03-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Trying to justify keeping Parmalee is a huge fail. The chances that he suddenly figures it out at this point are very slim. Let's move on. He seems like a good guy and if he can find it someplace else then so be it. The Twins should be done with him.

15. This user likes Steve Penz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (03-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    I must disagree. One is from Wisconsin, the other is from South Dakota. I have yet to meet a gentleman from either of those states.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus View Post
    I don't know that he really did get two good chances. From memory it seems that he got his abs in snippets without getting consistent abs for an extended period of time. With relatively few abs at the major league level I don't think we know if he is AAAA or not. Sure makes me wish he could have got them last year so we had an idea. If he could hit at the major league level he would be a useful player with the ability to play multiple positions
    A real chance is two-to-three months of starting every day. By my reckoning, he had that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
    A real chance is two-to-three months of starting every day. By my reckoning, he had that.
    Well, since he is well short of 1000 ab in the big leagues I guess we disagree.

19. This user likes Linus's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    Well, since he is well short of 1000 ab in the big leagues I guess we disagree.
    That's the publicly stated position of the Twins as well.

Personally my odds for Parmelee to succeed are about 1 in 10, or about 5 times more likely to happen than for Kubel to ever contribute to a contender.

I don't know why they need to be so lefty dominant. Colabello at least can platoon with Kubel, who is historically mediocre against lefties, and worse the last few years.
    That possibility assumes Gardenhire will not be managing the Twins.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-26-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee isn't exactly Garrett Jones here (only 84 PA with the Twins, although different age and minor league resume). Parm's had 631 MLB PA so far, and hasn't shown anything at all in the last 540 (84 OPS+, zero standout skills).

If we let guys like this rack up consecutive 500 PA seasons, fans would probably be criticizing the front office for not realizing the guy couldn't hit earlier and wasting time with him.

That said, if we lose him at this point, it will hopefully be in favor of someone with better MLB chances, not just some random roster patch (i.e. not Bartlett!).

22. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Steve Penz (03-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    That's the publicly stated position of the Twins as well.

Personally my odds for Parmelee to succeed are about 1 in 10, or about 5 times more likely to happen than for Kubel to ever contribute to a contender.
    Tom Kelly used to say, "you need 1000 at bats at the big leagues to find out what you have." He didn't mean, "You have to give guys 1000 at bats." More like, "If a guy is really good for 500 at bats, let's see another 500 before we say he's going to be around for the long haul." I think Chad Allen was the poster child for that statement.

If a guy sucks, you pretty much know it in a couple of seasons. If a guy is good, it might take three seasons to learn his limitations, as the league figures him out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Kubel has to be more likely to have any success in MLB, though, right?

And that could be a modest trade chip for the Twins. Nothing earth-shattering in performance or trade, of course, but something more than a 84 OPS+ corner OF/1B.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    They are in a tough spot with Parmelee. He hasn't been worth anything to the MLB Twins the past two seasons, they probably think he won't really ever be a MLB hitter, but at the same time, because he's out of options, even if another team thought he had potential, they're not going to trade for him -- they'll just take their chances if he hits waivers.

So the Twins choices are: keep a poor player around hoping for something unexpected, or move on and waive him and hope he slips through to help Rochester. I can't really fault them for thinking the latter (again, as long as they're not just replacing him with equally hopeless filler like Bartlett).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Kubel has to be more likely to have any success in MLB, though, right?

And that could be a modest trade chip for the Twins. Nothing earth-shattering in performance or trade, of course, but something more than a 84 OPS+ corner OF/1B.
    If they had a stronger track record of making that kind of trade and succeeding it would be more encouraging. They failed to cash in on him (and Cuddyer) the first time when he was younger and more valuable

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    They are in a tough spot with Parmelee. He hasn't been worth anything to the MLB Twins the past two seasons, they probably think he won't really ever be a MLB hitter, but at the same time, because he's out of options, even if another team thought he had potential, they're not going to trade for him -- they'll just take their chances if he hits waivers.

So the Twins choices are: keep a poor player around hoping for something unexpected, or move on and waive him and hope he slips through to help Rochester. I can't really fault them for thinking the latter (again, as long as they're not just replacing him with equally hopeless filler like Bartlett).
    Yep. It's Mike Restovich all over again. Very few of those guys become stars. it happens once in a while. But it is really rare.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast