Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Worley to the Pirates

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    This team makes it hard not to mock them over their financial moves......but I'm sure the scouts that said they should trade a 24 year old cost controlled 2+ WAR CF for him and a minor league pitcher there is not consensus on (in terms of upside) will get the next one right.....

edited, since I somehow lost part of the post the first time
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 03-25-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    Lighten up Francis....

2. These 4 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-25-2014), LaBombo (03-25-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-25-2014), steve (03-26-2014)

Reason for the trade vs waiver claim.

Worley had no options remaining. If the Pirates claimed him, he would have had to remain on the 25 man roster. By letting him clear waivers and be removed from the 40 man roster, he can now be stashed in the minors or re-traded later without having to pass through waivers again.

Worley's lack of options has now placed him in a sort of limbo. If he is ever re-added to the 40 man roster, he will also need to be on the 25 man roster since he has no options left to send him down to the minors. If he once again is added and removed from the 40 man roster, he would also have the option to become a minor league free agent if he once again clears waivers. He is only a few steps away from becoming a 'journeyman' player, signing minor league deals with spring training invites to try to make a club.

Liked 1,680 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    He is only a few steps away from becoming a 'journeyman' player, signing minor league deals with spring training invites to try to make a club.
    Bill James once said that at any given time, about a tenth of the pitchers in baseball had been "left for dead" at some point in their careers, if I remember right.

Worley is only 26 and has had major league success, so he'll get more than one chance, and probably as a starter at some point since he's probably headed back to AAA.

What's surprising to me isn't that the Twins gave up on him, it's that they did it without any effort to experiment with using him in middle relief
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is anyone surprised by this? If he can find a way to salvage a career with the lack of talent he has then good for him. By never taking responsibility for terrible outings and blaming horrible spring training starts on wind I doubt that will happen. Good move clearing space on the 40-man.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

6. This user likes Badsmerf's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    The quote from MLB TradeRumors is: The Pirates have acquired Vance Worley from the Twins in exchange for cash considerations, the club announced.

Are we sure that the that the Twins got money and didn't PAY the Pirates to take Worley off our hands? It's unclear from this statement. (I'm just kidding - okay?)
    Last edited by ScottyB; 03-25-2014 at 04:29 PM.

8. These 3 users like ScottyB's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-25-2014), mike wants wins (03-26-2014), USAFChief (03-25-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    Bill James once said that at any given time, about a tenth of the pitchers in baseball were "left for dead", if I remember right.

Worley is only 26 and has had major league success, so he'll get more than one chance, and probably as a starter at some point since he's probably headed back to AAA.

What's surprising to me isn't that the Twins gave up on him, it's that they did it without any effort to experiment with using him in middle relief
    Well stated. And yet another trade made at rock bottom value. There must be a corollary to James' "left for dead" theory for teams that don't manage this aspect of pitching depth very well. The Twins are having a pretty amazing knack for producing more than their 1/10 share, only to find many being re-animated at various levels of success around the league.

I am sensing a slight shift in philosophy, giving up so soon on last year's opening day starter, after a much ballyhooed trade. Worely's a mess right now, to be sure, the appalling "blame it on the wind" excuse was pretty telling about where the Vanimal is at right now- but didn't it behoove the Twins to salvage whatever they could from his current state to derive more value than this, whether it be with the Twins or as a trading chip? I guess they think they can't damage their PR situation any worse by basically admitting another mistake.

At this point, Trevor May really needs to come through this year in Rochester, if, by contrast, Revere stays healthy all year and puts up a 2-3 WAR season.
    Last edited by jokin; 03-25-2014 at 04:27 PM.

10. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-25-2014)

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    I wasn't a fan of acquiring Worley in the first place.

That said, this makes little sense to me. He was already through waivers and off the 40 man. He's only 26, and has at least some major league success.

Why give away something that has no real cost to keep, a year after paying a pretty decent price to acquire it? Rochester's pitching staff hasn't got room for him?

If he was good enough to trade for, and put atop the rotation just last season, he's too good to toss aside now.

And if he is too bad to keep (for nothing) now, whoever recommended and/or approved the trade last season has some explaining to do.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

12. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-25-2014)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Why is anyone surprised by this? If he can find a way to salvage a career with the lack of talent he has then good for him. By never taking responsibility for terrible outings and blaming horrible spring training starts on wind I doubt that will happen. Good move clearing space on the 40-man.
    He wasn't on the 40. That's what the waiver thing was about.

As for surprise, how about that he was only 26 and was coming off an injury more serious than everyone was willing to cut Hicks slack for in AAA?

Or that even after last year's clunker he still has a higher career WAR average than either Pelfrey or Correia, and a higher career WAR total than the other eight 2013 starters combined?

14. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish Worley would have turned out better I feel kinda bad for him. So what does that leave for a AAA rotation? Meyer May, Darnell, Johnson and Gilmartin?

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Good move clearing space on the 40-man.
    He was already off the Twins' 40 man after clearing waivers. They could have stashed him in the minors without any consequences to the major league roster.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Well stated. And yet another trade made at rock bottom value. There must be a corollary to James' "left for dead" theory for teams that don't manage this aspect of pitching depth very well. The Twins are having a pretty amazing knack for producing more than their 1/10 share, only to find many being re-animated at various levels of success around the league.
    James didn't refine it to guesstimate the percentages of those guys whose zombie value ceiling is in middle relief vs. starting or high leverage relief. Would guess they tend more toward the former. But if that's so, would just make it more puzzling why they didn't give VW a shot in that role.

Fwiw, although Worley has apparently insisted he's healthy, Gleeman pointed out that it's pretty odd for a pitcher his age to lose effectiveness so dramatically without an injury eventually turning up.

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    How often has any organization ever thrown in the towel on a 26 year old starter just one season removed from two good MLB seasons?

He was very bad last year, but this certainly looks as though the Twins saw something negative in addition to the discouraging numbers.
    This is my suspicion as well. Maybe it won't be so windy in Pittsburgh. Maybe his fate won't be "out of his hands" there.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And it's strange that the Pirates didn't simply claim him when he was placed on waivers just six days ago.
    Not at all. Had they claimed him, he would have had to be on their 40-man roster. Now he doesn't
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Kinda hard to make my mind about who I would rather have at Rochester's rotation:

Virgil Vasquez or Vance Worley?

What do you all think?
    -----

Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    [QUOTE=mike wants wins;206503]This team makes it hard not to mock them over their financial moves......but I'm sure the scouts that said they should trade a 24 year old cost controlled 2+ WAR CF for him and a minor league pitcher there is not consensus on (in terms of upside) will get the next one right.....

The May for Revere trade may end up being a bad one, as trades often are, but this was not a "financial move". Do you not believe it was a personnel decision?

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by birdwatcher View Post
    ...this was not a "financial move". Do you not believe it was a personnel decision?
    That's just it...what WAS this? It's hard to conjure up any reasonable financial or personnel rationale.

Did they just not like the guy?
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Your check is already in the mail.

24. This user likes LaBombo's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (03-25-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    That's just it...what WAS this? It's hard to conjure up any reasonable financial or personnel rationale.

This makes about as much sense as the Liriano trade.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 104 Times in 76 Posts
    I am amazed that there is any hand-wringing over the departure of Worley. How poorly does a man have to perform before "you cut bait"? How many time have we heard the refrain "best minor league system"? Then add the names of Raley, Gilmartin, et al before you conclude that there are several guys deemed "more worthy" where opportunity needs to be provided. Note: I didn't deem them more worthy--the Twins did. Vines have to be trimmed and weeds pulled.

No, I don't think that "some 'splainin' is required". My analogy is an Arcia whiff. If Arcia hits enough homeruns, the whiffs can be tolerated.
    Last edited by Kwak; 03-25-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: misprint

27. These 3 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-25-2014), brvama (03-25-2014), zchrz (03-25-2014)

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    This overtakes Erickson for Klingenbeck as JR's new favorite trade ever.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast