Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worley to the Pirates

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Worley to the Pirates

http://www.startribune.com/sports/tw...252317011.html

For undisclosed sum of money. I thought the Twins would let him pitch in AAA and try and figure it out. Sounds like they are only getting money, no prospects back.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty shocked by this move. I thought they'd try to salvage something out of Worley, not just give up on him entirely.

And it's strange that the Pirates didn't simply claim him when he was placed on waivers just six days ago.

*scratches head*

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Trautmann13 (03-25-2014)

I would have thought the Twins would have at least asked for Duke Welker in exchange for Worley.

5. These 7 users like Dbohnk's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

deanlambrecht (03-25-2014), maxisagod (03-25-2014), mike wants wins (03-25-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-25-2014), PseudoSABR (03-25-2014), savvyspy (03-26-2014), snepp (03-28-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 84 Times in 63 Posts
    Hope this clears space for Diamond in Rochester.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Very disappointing end result to this.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Probably was time for him to move on, his tenure with the Twins was nothing short of a disaster and he got absolutely lit up this spring. With Gibson grabbing the 5th spot out of ST, Worley was going to be buried in the org.

I hope he can turn it around (not too much though where we regret it!) in Pittsburgh.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    This should make up the money they lost yesterday with the rainout.

10. These 9 users like Halsey Hall's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-25-2014), JustinCB (03-25-2014), mike wants wins (03-25-2014), Monkeypaws (03-25-2014), nicksaviking (03-26-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-25-2014), sandbun (03-26-2014), snepp (03-28-2014), USAFChief (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why? What possible reason? I guess they had too many SP for Rochester? To be nice?

I didn't have high hopes for Worley, but I can't come up with a good reason for this move....and neither of the possible reasons I mentioned above seem any good to me.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I guess the Pirates are going to try and pull another Liriano out of their hat. They seem to have a knack for making our pitchers better. They have their work cut out for them this time.

Liked 399 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe Worley asked for a trade and this was all TR/RA could muster? Just befuddling....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    Why? What possible reason? I guess they had too many SP for Rochester? To be nice?

I didn't have high hopes for Worley, but I can't come up with a good reason for this move....and neither of the possible reasons I mentioned above seem any good to me.
    I'm guessing they did it as a favor to Worley, clearly things weren't working here, nothing wrong with giving the guy a fresh start back in the national league.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

15. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Get something for a guy who fell apart and lost confidence in MN. Probably gave up hope in trying to re-build himself.

That cash will help later in the year when TField attendance continues its drop.

17. These 2 users like Mr. Ed's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-25-2014), savvyspy (03-26-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Probably was time for him to move on, his tenure with the Twins was nothing short of a disaster and he got absolutely lit up this spring. With Gibson grabbing the 5th spot out of ST, Worley was going to be buried in the org.

I hope he can turn it around (not too much though where we regret it!) in Pittsburgh.

I agree Worely was going to be buried. There are other guys that are going to need a chance and more coming up behind them. It is also hard to move a pitcher that has pitched as poorly as he has the past year and a half.

I also think the Twins have something going on with Pittsburgh and maybe are trying to even out the Morneau trade\rental as it was weird getting a relief pitcher and then a starter. Something didn't seem Quite right there to me.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'm pretty shocked by this move. I thought they'd try to salvage something out of Worley, not just give up on him entirely.

And it's strange that the Pirates didn't simply claim him when he was placed on waivers just six days ago.

*scratches head*
    If the Pirates claimed him off waivers, wouldn't he have to be added to their 40-man?

Maybe I'm wrong, but this way they can leave him in the minors without exposing him to waivers again.
    Last edited by Boom Boom; 03-25-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: wow, that's a lot of steak dinners. I'm flattered, but I'm a vegetarian.

20. These 6 users like Boom Boom's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-25-2014), Don't Feed the Greed Guy (03-25-2014), Sconnie (03-25-2014), Siehbiscuit (03-25-2014), USAFChief (03-25-2014), Winston Smith (03-25-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I'm guessing they did it as a favor to Worley, clearly things weren't working here, nothing wrong with giving the guy a fresh start back in the national league.
    If they are doing a favor to Worley then give him his outright release and let him choose where he goes. Trading only for cash is only going to piss off people that think this org is cheap and isn't enough money to make it really worth it.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What a difference a year makes. Best of luck in Pittsburgh, Vance.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    If they are doing a favor to Worley then give him his outright release and let him choose where he goes. Trading only for cash is only going to piss off people that think this org is cheap and isn't enough money to make it really worth it.
    That is why I think there is an under the table deal here. If they can turn Worley around look for another trade possibly Presley for a decent prospect. If the they can't turn him around then the Twins keep the money. That is my conspiracy theory on this one. The Twins don't need the cash.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How often has any organization ever thrown in the towel on a 26 year old starter just one season removed from two good MLB seasons?

He was very bad last year, but this certainly looks as though the Twins saw something negative in addition to the discouraging numbers.
    Last edited by LaBombo; 03-25-2014 at 03:41 PM.

25. These 2 users like LaBombo's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-25-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-25-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    I guess the Pohlads need the cash, doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    That is why I think there is an under the table deal here. If they can turn Worley around look for another trade possibly Presley for a decent prospect. If the they can't turn him around then the Twins keep the money. That is my conspiracy theory on this one. The Twins don't need the cash.
    Presley? All right. I'll bite. Who's going to play center in the apparently unthinkable scenario where the guy who hit .192 in the majors and .222 in the minors last year doesn't hit well again this year and Mastro gets hurt.

Sounds crazy that both things could happen in same year, but if it did, you'd hate to see the Twins have to do something equally crazy, like trade a veteran for a CF during a losing season just to maintain a little credibility on the field.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast