Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Article: The Old Man and the Wall

  1. #1

    Article: The Old Man and the Wall


  2. These 3 users like AJPettersen's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (03-25-2014), Halsey Hall (03-25-2014), UCLA_YANKEE_COLA (03-26-2014)

  3. #2
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    29
    Like
    12
    Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    AJ, your writing completely engulfs me. Superbly written, but even better the message of life from such a young man. Many search high and low for that endless chase of happiness at the end of the rainbow, only to find it has been there in front of them all along. Your words and message are so well written and spot on that I am forwarding this to my young adult children. I truly hope you find your dream in the big leagues, but I am confident that you will never regret your journey. Yes, life is a journey, not a destination. Thank you and may you have a great season.

  4. #3
    Owner All-Star John Bonnes's Avatar
    Posts
    2,443
    Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Like
    1
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    241
    New Years and new changes lend themselves to contemplation. You do a nice job of capturing some pretty slippery feelings and thoughts.

  5. #4
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    10
    Like
    11
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    AJ, you are a gifted and thought provoking young man. Well done, Sir.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Triple-A zchrz's Avatar
    Posts
    217
    Like
    41
    Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Great read these pieces are awesome.

    This reminds me of a Alan Watts line of thought. Any journey in life is like a piece of music, one doesn't listen to music for just the end note, the real enjoyment and artistry comes from the entire song and how each note interacts with all the others.

  7. #6
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,678
    Like
    2,653
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    AJ, if I draw parallels to Jim Bouton, I hope you don't take it to mean you should learn to throw a knuckleball.

  8. #7
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,828
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,422
    Liked 1,931 Times in 1,132 Posts
    Another one out of the park.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Posts
    666
    Like
    199
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Very thoughtful. Useful to anyone who reads it.

    Thanks again, AJ.

  10. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,510
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Just excellent as always. It's great to see that AJ's writing is really getting some great feedback.

  11. #10
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Great article. This country (and many) are driven to achieve, not to enjoy the journey. I hope you get a chance to enjoy the journey more. I hope you get to live in the moment, not always looking to the future and what it will bring. Life is too interesting, imo, to worry only about the goal, and not the journey.

  12. #11
    Outstanding article AJ. I enjoy reading you here on Twins Daily. I hope in the near future you will be writing here as a member of the Twins.

  13. #12
    Great piece, AJ. Love the burnt wood anecdote. Good luck and enjoy your 2014 baseball season.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Posts
    546
    Like
    0
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    AJ, after reading this, I'd like to meet you just to shake your hand for this perceptive essay. It's so true that we can miss much of the experience of life, as we do so many things by habit and training. I know exactly what the old man at the park was doing. He was experiencing the sweet purity of throwing a baseball, the feel of nice mechanics and rhythm produce a satisfying whack against the old wall.

    'You can beat the wall, but you cannot defeat the wall,' I sometimes say to myself as I hit a couple hundred easy slice backhands against a wall on some dreary summer day. The experience is the endless pursuit of perfect synchronization with the forces that exist around us. The hand produces an easy flip, the ball sails through the air just so. It hits the wall in exactly the right spot, then returns to you for the next one. It is a blissful to perform this ritual, whether or not it helps you win something.

    Is that why some baseball players love to practice?

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by brvama View Post
    AJ, your writing completely engulfs me. Superbly written, but even better the message of life from such a young man. Many search high and low for that endless chase of happiness at the end of the rainbow, only to find it has been there in front of them all along. Your words and message are so well written and spot on that I am forwarding this to my young adult children. I truly hope you find your dream in the big leagues, but I am confident that you will never regret your journey. Yes, life is a journey, not a destination. Thank you and may you have a great season.
    Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The reason I write stories like this are for people to chew on and think about. There are so many things in life that we all struggle with and we shrug them off or don't even realize it. Being consistently present is a difficult one for myself and for many others. Thank you for the well wishes!

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    New Years and new changes lend themselves to contemplation. You do a nice job of capturing some pretty slippery feelings and thoughts.
    Thanks John. And thanks for a platform where I can share my thoughts.

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    AJ, if I draw parallels to Jim Bouton, I hope you don't take it to mean you should learn to throw a knuckleball.
    Well...my 82 mph fastball probably isn't going to cut it.

  18. These 2 users like AJPettersen's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ashburyjohn (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

  19. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    AJ, after reading this, I'd like to meet you just to shake your hand for this perceptive essay. It's so true that we can miss much of the experience of life, as we do so many things by habit and training. I know exactly what the old man at the park was doing. He was experiencing the sweet purity of throwing a baseball, the feel of nice mechanics and rhythm produce a satisfying whack against the old wall.

    'You can beat the wall, but you cannot defeat the wall,' I sometimes say to myself as I hit a couple hundred easy slice backhands against a wall on some dreary summer day. The experience is the endless pursuit of perfect synchronization with the forces that exist around us. The hand produces an easy flip, the ball sails through the air just so. It hits the wall in exactly the right spot, then returns to you for the next one. It is a blissful to perform this ritual, whether or not it helps you win something.

    Is that why some baseball players love to practice?
    I will take you up on the hand shaking. In fact, if we are ever in the same town, I'm always up for coffee or lunch. Sounds like you have a great perspective. I find the same bliss at times while practicing baseball.

  20. #18
    Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Posts
    464
    Like
    220
    Liked 173 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10
    Reading this, upon many reflections of my own life philosophies, I was instantly reminded of a surprisingly nice though but breezy day last week when my 14yo son asked me to play catch. This time with glove and ball rather than a football.

    And as we joyously did so, I was reminded of two things. I remembered time after time of playing catch with my own father, often under street lights, and the movie Field of Dreams when Costner spoke of refusing to play catch with his father. I know the latter is a drama, but how real it must be for some.

    Thank you AJ for your sharing. You write beautifully and share honestly. Without knowing you, but speculating the type of man you appear to be, I not only have moved you to the top of my Twins "hopeful" list to root for, but you have reached the top of my "respected" list. I'm sure your whole family must be very proud of the man you are.

    Best of luck this season!

    And while I hope for the very best success for you in baseball, I believe, eventually, you have a wonderful career waiting for you in journalism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.