Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diamond on Waivers

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,265 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Their top 2 pitchers from last year (what they thought were, anyway), cut, 1 year later......
    The top two pitchers from an almost historically bad roster who failed to perform.The team brought in two better replacements, hopefully have one of their better prospects in place instead and 2 veterans who just proved to be more consistent and who perhaps have more value in trade.

2. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Duensing's a sunk cost. Diamond's salary is only guaranteed if he makes the team. Duensing has pitched in relief for several years. Diamond, not so much. Duensing is tough on lefties, again, Diamond, not so much.
    Disturbing signs of decline for Duensing against LHBs last year? (Scroll all the way to the right hand side):

Season Handedness IP ERA TBF H 2B 3B R ER HR BB IBB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG wOBA
    2013 vs L 30.1 - - - 132 37 6 1 10 10 3 7 1 1 36 .298 .344 .443 .341
    2013 vs R 30.2 - - - 136 31 5 2 18 17 1 15 3 1 20 .258 .348 .364 .311

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Hard to believe he went from one of our best pitchers to being waived but just like Worley he doesn't have a lot of movement on his pitches they are too straight. If he doesn't keep the ball down he seems to get hit hard. I just don't think his ceiling was high enough and we have better options now which is a good thing.

5. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    The top two pitchers from an almost historically bad roster who failed to perform.The team brought in two better replacements, hopefully have one of their better prospects in place instead and 2 veterans who just proved to be more consistent and who perhaps have more value in trade.
    This. C'mon people, this is progress.

7. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    i'm not convinced Diamond will be claimed. If he can't make the Twins starting rotation, where else is there?
    Lots of pitching injuries this spring, so some guys that you wouldn't consider in Feb start looking more plausible as April rushes towards you. I'm thinking OAK, TEX, ATL, for example.

Diamond would be a great #4/5 if you have a good enough bullpen to keep him on a short leash and can score enough runs to make his starts worthwhile. Basically a good team where you're not quite ready to bring up the kids but you lost 170 innings to Tommy John. He's a cheap replacement level starter who seems like a solid citizen. He'll find work.

9. This user likes Cris E's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-26-2014)

Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Disturbing signs of decline for Duensing against LHBs last year? (Scroll all the way to the right hand side):

Season Handedness IP ERA TBF H 2B 3B R ER HR BB IBB HBP SO AVG OBP SLG wOBA
    2013 vs L 30.1 - - - 132 37 6 1 10 10 3 7 1 1 36 .298 .344 .443 .341
    2013 vs R 30.2 - - - 136 31 5 2 18 17 1 15 3 1 20 .258 .348 .364 .311
    Hmm... interesting. I'd like to see those same stats for Diamond from last year too.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    They can't keep everybody. This move clears space for others to advance and hopefully prove-out.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This. C'mon people, this is progress.
    How did my post imply anything but that?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    "I love playing with this organization, but if they don't see it that way, I want to pitch in the major leagues. I'm a major league pitcher. I'm not a minor-league pitcher. Whether the Twins think I am, that's up to them to decide."

Great statement, great quote. With this attitude Diamond will certainly pitch in the majors again somewhere. Best wishes to him.
    IMHO, pretty arrogant statement by Diamond, which is not backed up by his production, but very typical of him. Two Spring Trainings ago, a few days after he was cut from the MLB camp, I saw him ignore two children who were politely asking for autographs by the back fields. That is inexcusable divaism in my book and behavior like that just does not happen there.

Good riddance. Hope he signs with the Yankees.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    It's progress that they didn't choose Diamond over Gibson. It's also not what many made it out to be about our "depth" this year.

Should an injury happen we're still turning first to 30ish journeymen or fringe prospects.

15. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (03-26-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duensing's a sunk cost. Diamond's salary is only guaranteed if he makes the team. Duensing has pitched in relief for several years. Diamond, not so much. Duensing is tough on lefties, again, Diamond, not so much.
    And Duensing can hit 94/95 mph, Diamond, not so much.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    It's progress that they didn't choose Diamond over Gibson. It's also not what many made it out to be about our "depth" this year.

Should an injury happen we're still turning first to 30ish journeymen or fringe prospects.
    I'm glad you own all those predictions of doom that the Twins would not choose Gibson over Diamond or Worley. BTW, Meyer is next in line.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad you own all those predictions of doom that the Twins would not choose Gibson over Diamond or Worley. BTW, Meyer is next in line.
    Then Deduno. You know, our best starter last year.

There's unquestionably more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    IMHO, pretty arrogant statement by Diamond, which is not backed up by his production, but very typical of him. Two Spring Trainings ago, a few days after he was cut from the MLB camp, I saw him ignore two children who were politely asking for autographs by the back fields. That is inexcusable divaism in my book and behavior like that just does not happen there.

I agree. I didnt see what made his statement so great. Put one good full season together then maybe he's earned the right to shoot his mouth off.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 487 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

I will defer to your direct observation of him over a quote I read in the paper. I guess I was glad to see Diamond had some inner fire, anyway, in contrast to maybe someone like Kubel, whose attitude this spring I would paraphrase as "this is a waste of time; I'll start trying to hit when the games actually matter" (but again, that's based on only the quotes I've read from him (and his performance).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 653 Times in 367 Posts
    The team made a nearly unprecedented move to keep Gibson and I lauded them for it. Still do, but you argued the three guys were going to give depth. Only one is and the other two (an opening day starter and a guy all the optimists said wouldnt regress too badly) are now both gone for nothing.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The team made a nearly unprecedented move to keep Gibson and I lauded them for it. Still do, but you argued the three guys were going to give depth. Only one is and the other two (an opening day starter and a guy all the optimists said wouldnt regress too badly) are now both gone for nothing.
    So they got better guys. Johnson is better than Diamond and Gilmartin is better than Worley. I refuse to see this as anything but positive.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

23. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-26-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am willing to bet Meyer is not next in line, not yet. He isn't on the 40 man yet, and he hasn't even pitched at AAA yet either. It is probably Deduno (if he is stretched out enough for it) and then Johnson.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So they got better guys. Johnson is better than Diamond and Gilmartin is better than Worley. I refuse to see this as anything but positive.
    They might only be better in a "haven't had a chance to fail yet" way. And I say that as I endorse the cutting of Worley and Diamond.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    I wouldn't criticize Diamond for that quote "...major league...". In fact, I venture that everybody still in camp believes the same thing--confidence is required for success--even if they don't have the statistics to justify said statement.

27. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-26-2014)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast