Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    There's a rumor that Gardy's still peeved at Hicks and is planning on an outfield of Willingham, Kubel and Arcia - what defense!

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope this means they're on the cusp of another move. Be it a waiver claim or a trade. If they did this to facilitate keeping Bartlett on the roster (and they plan to use him as the 4th OF) well...I...

(Unless of course, Florimon will be on the DL as I see some are speculating now. Then keeping Bartlett as Escobar's backup makes some sense).

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    Toronto is supposedly shopping Colby Rasmus for starting pitching. Crossing my fingers.... Please?
    Rasmus for Diamond. Seems like a fair trade.

Now where is that darn sarcasm emoticon...
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

4. This user likes James's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (03-27-2014)

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are there any rumblings still out there about the Sox moving Alejandro De Aza?

If Bartlett makes the team, his nickname has to be "Puntlett".

6. This user likes SirLoin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-27-2014)

Junior Member Rookie gilesferrell's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirLoin View Post
    If Bartlett makes the team, his nickname has to be "Puntlett".
    Well played.
    "They are the team Minnesota deserves, not the one they need right now."

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, Ok, let's not get hysterical here. None of the three players in question--Parmelee, Presley, Bartlett--is good, so while choosing Bartlett over the other two is a mild surprise, it hardly qualifies as "insane". Get a grip.

9. These 6 users like twinsajsf's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-27-2014), crarko (03-27-2014), gunnarthor (03-27-2014), LoganJones (03-27-2014), Major Leauge Ready (03-27-2014), maxisagod (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Only 3 days to the opener, I guess the master plan is starting to come together. Is it ok to say things look a little unsettled?
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    I seem to remember the whole, no one to back up Hicks in CF thing not working out so hot last year. Hard to believe they're going to start another season with no real back up for Hicks, since I don't really consider Bartlett a CF backup. If there isn't a waiver wire claim or a trade made by us for someone who can play CF, I'm not really sure what to think. If Hicks struggles we end up with an OF of Willingham/Bartlett/Kubel and Arcia? That can't possibly be right, can it?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    I'm about to turn 50, who is older and played baseball more recently, me, or Bartlett? I fail to see how this is consistent with a rebuilding strategy. But I'm sure the people that thought they should trade for him will be right next time.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Mastroianni is still stashed at Rochester, right?

I suppose that is some potential back-up should there not be anything else in the works.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    Hard to believe they're going to start another season with no real back up for Hicks
    There could be a waiver claim in the works. I *think* it's necessary to have an open spot when you make the waiver claim, not just wait and open up the spot if the claim goes through; that would explain the timing. The wait is due to there being the potential of another team ranking "higher" (in reverse order of standings last October) putting in a claim before the time is up.

15. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (03-27-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    From Berardino:

With those moves, it appears the final roster spot will go to either veteran super utility man Jason Bartlett or 30-year-old slugger Chris Colabello, the reigning International League Most Valuable Player.

http://blogs.twincities.com/twins/20...ed-on-waivers/
    Maybe there is still something else in the works.
    Doesn't this actually mean that BOTH Bartlett and Colabello will make the 25-man roster, since Gardy has already said he will only take 12 pitchers North?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    Unless I'm forgetting something, which is certainly possible, we outrighted him to Rochester back in December?

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

I suppose that is some potential back-up should there not be anything else in the works.
    Didn't Mastroianni just injure his wrist similar to Buxton?

I have to say that I have no problems with these moves.

1. I'm a bit confused by the Presley thing. Yet a guy like Presley should be fairly easily attainable in the future. If the Twins had Mastro rather then Presley would people really care. The Bartlett obsession is odd, but perhaps Gardy sees some value in the clubhouse that I wouldn't be able to measure. Bartlett on a 70 Win Team for a year is nothing to lose sleep over.

2. Parmelee's projections for a player with his skillset are brutal. He's a below average hitter with limited defensive value.

3. Diamond probably projects as a long-reliever type. They choose Deduno instead who has a better arm. This says nothing about Duensing being a better bullpen option.

I support these moves

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Was just thinking that. Wouldn't be surprised if they're looking for trades, with Mastro the fallback.

Or maybe it just means they're rolling with Buxton when Hicks gets hurt... :-)

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    There's just something about the fact that the outfield is a position of strength for our minor league system yet our current projected backup outfielders are Bartlett and Escobar.. if there isn't a move in the works it really just leaves you kind of shaking your head

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Parmelee has cleared waivers.

It seems like the Presley thing is an odd move. He seemed to be a perfectly decent 4 OF for this year. I don't think he's a great player, but he was at least moderately capable.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

23. These 2 users like James's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DocBauer (03-27-2014), Oldgoat_MN (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    While in Florida, I was able to witness one of Bartlett's three spring training hits.
    We were trying to figure out which would be a rarer sight. Witnessing a Bartlett hit or spotting an Albino Whale from the Beach.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    If my math is correct, the Twins official website lists 25 players on active roster and 38 on the 40 man. So if both Diamond and Parmalle are removed that brings the numbers down to 23 and 36. Neither Kubel or Bartlett are listed on either roster yet. So even if both were added and Florimon started the season on the DL there would be plenty of room to add either Mastro or Ramirez to both the active and 40 man. Don't forget about Ramirez as an option for back up CF. He started out there last year and did well early on in spring training.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast