Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    What kind of a message does this send to the guys struggling to make it to the big leagues?

When a guy that didn't play ball last year comes into ST, starts off 0-23 and and finishes with some pathetic batting average and still makes the team, it sends the following message: what you do in ST doesn't matter. it's a good ol' boys club and if you aren't in the club, your going back down to the minors.
    Or maybe it says that getting hits in ST ABs don't matter as much as track record and work ethic? I don't think too many future quality MLB players think that getting 10 hits in 23 ST ABs is all you need to impress big league management. They know that springs are about doing the work, showing improvement.

Alex Presley looked terrible in many at bats and even worse in the field. Bart looked bad early, but was already squaring up pitches as early as last week, and showed a quick study in center. It's at least trying something.
    Last edited by LoganJones; 03-27-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    This is NOT about who they cut. This is about who they ADDED.

Do ANY of you really believe that if this organization did not have a prior relationship with Kubel and Bartlett, they would have added them to this roster????

This is about trying to sell tickets based on past glory. And trying to give a manager what he wants because he has a relationship with these veterans.

It is all about the PAST not the future.

3. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this is great - scour that waiver wire. Open up room to sign a player waived by another team, or make a trade. Correia and Hicks for Colby Rasmus (and Deduno becomes 5th Starter)- But no way Toronto would go for that. How about Nolasco for Rasmus? But that would degrade an already average, at best, rotation. Kendry Morales is a DH, and the Twins have enough of that (until they release Kubel, but then it's too late). As I said, I think this leaves room to scour the waiver wire - better teams will waive better players than we've waived!!!

5. This user likes strumdatjag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

blairpaul715 (03-27-2014)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    If nothing else this should serve as a reminder that whatever he may say to the contrary, Gardy gets quite a bit of say about the roster. He might not always get some young guys called up as soon as he might like, but they give him most of what he wants.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This was a foregone conclusion when Gardy commented earlier this week that he did not know if Florimon would be ready to start the season. Florimon starts on the DL, Escobar is the SS and Bartlett is the UT. Twins either bring up Ramirez or Mastro or claim a player off waviers or made a trade. I hop they make a trade, but do not expect it at this time

Liked 3,168 Times in 1,357 Posts
    This says to me they fully understand the roster needed upgrading, but rather than actual upgrades they're hoping reclamation projects can do the job for cheap.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

9. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    To all the people complaining that Bartlett and Kubel are back on the team, just remember how aggressively the Twins pursued Garza and Pierzynski too. And Guerrier will make an appearance too at some point.

wow. I'm so mad at this team right now. How can you honestly decide to keep Bartlett on the team!?? Unbelievable. I'm so sick of these decisions. Go young! It's the only shot we have at making any type of run which is already very minimal.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Do ANY of you really believe that if this organization did not have a prior relationship with Kubel and Bartlett, they would have added them to this roster????

This is about trying to sell tickets based on past glory. And trying to give a manager what he wants because he has a relationship with these veterans.

Nice to see some passion from you, one of the more smart and level headed contributors here at Twins Daily. I agree with you on this. It's all just so strange.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Is it ok to say things look a little unsettled?

Maybe if you want to get sent back into the corner by the mods.

Liked 1,289 Times in 744 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Nice to see some passion from you, one of the more smart and level headed contributors here at Twins Daily. I agree with you on this. It's all just so strange.
    LOL, one of the mods told me this a.m. that I was levelheaded.

This one just made me lose it. I had resigned myself to watching 1 of the Jasons this season. I just can't fathom both of them making this team.

I'm waiting for some more rosters moves in the near future.

15. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

Kubel and Bartlett sell zero tickets. I guess one could play Danny Santana in Bartlett's role (Yet this probably isn't good for Santana in the long-run.) The youth movement is not being held back by Jason Kubel over Chris Parmelee. These guys are the equivalent of Correria or Pelfrey types placeholders till better players come around. This is why I don't get to worked up about their presence.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I left and ran an errand, hoping that something would have happened other than what I expected.....I am baffled that a guy that was not even in baseball last year, that has never played in the OF, that is 35, that that is the guy a rebuilding team decides should be their backup CF. Something has to change, right? This cannot really be their plan.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK... first off.
    1: Kubel over Parmelee
    You've got to be kidding me. First of all, defensively speaking, Parmelee showed some skill and was about replacement level... with Willingham probably penciled in 6 days every week in left, Arcia and Kubel will be damaging this defense. Offensively, Kubel was putrid last year. Now he moves to a park where it's even harder to hit HRs. Plus, Kubel is getting old and there's still a chance to tap into Parmelee's potential!!! At least with our OF depth, Parmelee could get a call up if he bats decently.
    2: Presley outrighted
    Why?! Why didn't we trade him? The first team who could claim him did! Why didn't we at least get a AAA pitcher for him? Or even a pitcher at single A?
    3: Jason Bartlett making the team
    This move is justified if Florimon gets put on the DL.
    That is the move's only saving grace. This is a rebuilding team, folks. I'd rather see Doug Bernier here! (Wait, aren't they almost the same player...?)

Sorry to be so pessimistic guys. After letting Gibson make the rotation, I was feeling good, but now I just can't believe in this team. This is a 90 loss baseball team.
    Sigh... guess it's time to stash away my Parmelee jersey and when available, buy a Buxton jersey. Can't wait til' 2015!

19. This user likes Danchat's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

rickyriolo (03-27-2014)

You think these guys got to AAA with questionable work ethic? Not saying that they would light it up, but surely they have a brighter future than Bartlett. Granted, Parm has been given his shots, but this just looks like a good ol' boy gift. Hey, we should bring back Delmon Young too when he gets cut. That way we could almost undo that awful trade!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Saying Kubel has no future is a bit disingenuous, he is only a season removed from a 30 HR .833 OPS yeah.

Bartlett...whatever, he sucks now but maybe the Twins see something in him. I still think they end up bringing someone else in for the 25th spot and put Bartlett in AAA
    Yeah, I can see them keeping Kubel over Parmelee based on his past performance but I don't think either one of them has much of a chance for future success. Kubel was bad last year & even in his previous good season his 2nd half was not very good. He batted .210 with an OBP of .275 in the 2nd half of 2012 so it's been awhile since he's been good.

It's not so much losing Presley & demoting the others as seeing that this team is so bad they are giving a spot to a 34 yr. old who didn't play last year, hit .133 the yr. before & batted .086 this spring. Really? , is that the best we can do?

The funny part is, when Bartlett was here the first time he outplayed Juan Castro by a mile in the 2006 spring & Gardy still sent him down because he didn't display "leadership" qualities that Gardy thought his SS should. Now, apparently since he's a vet he acquired the necessary "grit" to make the team.

22. These 3 users like golfboy1's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014), sandbun (03-27-2014)

With regards to Parmalee and Pressly - classic case of addition by subtraction. Neither are in the long term plans and they do not bring any added value to the clubhouse.

Kubel and Bartlett - Both are a veteran presence well steeped in the Twin's way of doing things. Along with Mauer, they can show the young guys what it takes to succeed in the majors.

Having said that - both of the veterans need to produce. Not doing so would mean bringing in someone from the minors or via trade. Losing them would not require taking a bit hit financially.

In the short term - this is about reestablishing a culture and commitment to success in this organization.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised by this move. They don't have a lot of center field depth.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    we should bring back Delmon Young too when he gets cut
    If we slot him in CF, we can have a Willingham/Delmon/Kubel outfield. At the very least we'd get a few laughs every game to lighten the mood.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTwinsFan View Post
    With regards to Parmalee and Pressly - classic case of addition by subtraction. Neither are in the long term plans and they do not bring any added value to the clubhouse.

Kubel and Bartlett - Both are a veteran presence well steeped in the Twin's way of doing things. Along with Mauer, they can show the young guys what it takes to succeed in the majors.

Having said that - both of the veterans need to produce. Not doing so would mean bringing in someone from the minors or via trade. Losing them would not require taking a bit hit financially.

In the short term - this is about reestablishing a culture and commitment to success in this organization.
    Signing a guy that can't hit, and has never played the OF, that creates a commitment to success? I'm all eyes, can you explain that?
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast