Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts
    While I don't believe that the presence of Kubel and Bartlett wlll actually sell any tickets, I can set an entire ad campaign to Springsteen's "Glory Days". Can't get it out of my head.

2. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014), stringer bell (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    This is NOT about who they cut. This is about who they ADDED.

Do ANY of you really believe that if this organization did not have a prior relationship with Kubel and Bartlett, they would have added them to this roster????

This is about trying to sell tickets based on past glory. And trying to give a manager what he wants because he has a relationship with these veterans.

It is all about the PAST not the future.
    I'm struggling to believe the Kubel or Bartlett are enough of a name to draw any extra fans to the ballpark. As much as we may not want to admit it, I think that this has more to do with personalities that the Twins / Gardy like being around as they shepherd in a new era. I may not agree with all of the choices, but keeping one marginal player over another certainly won't get me riled up.

Unfortunately, I think we all believe we are in for a long season, and Pressley or Parmelee were / are not going to change that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    I say the Twins should go all-in by adding either Jason Pridie or Jason Tyner for a Jason trifecta.

5. These 2 users like ScottyB's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), sandbun (03-27-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    If we slot him in CF, we can have a Willingham/Delmon/Kubel outfield. At the very least we'd get a few laughs every game to lighten the mood.
    There is a twisted part of me that really wants to see this for a game or two (although that might push us out of play-off contention).

I am starting to think if I would have showed up at Fort Meyers, with the theme everything old is new again, I might have had a chance or joining the team...

7. These 2 users like D. Hocking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Shephard in a new era? Name the guy coming up from the minors this year these guys will mentor? Sine, you know, these old guys are on teh roster, there isn't room for young guys. And if the young guys come up, it will be to replace the old guys. How does that work?

As for keeping 1 marginal player over another, Bartlett is not a marginal OF, is he?
    Lighten up Francis....

There isnt actually anyone upset they lost Presley, is there? I'm actually pretty happy with how they filled out the roster. My biggest beef is Kubel making the team. Would rather have Herrmann instead so Pinto can DH. Kubel will be released by June. Probably earlier.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    I seem to remember the whole, no one to back up Hicks in CF thing not working out so hot last year.
    I was just about to post this too. Got to imagine something else in the works.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I care more about the open 40 man roster spots than I do Jason Bartlett.

Because the 25th man just isn't worth getting upset about in my eyes.

I'm hoping they do something interesting with those open spots now that they've pruned four players off the roster.

12. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (03-27-2014)

You'd think if he wanted to win, he might keep the guy who can kinda hit and play some D.

Quote Originally Posted by blindeke View Post
    You'd think if he wanted to win, he might keep the guy who can kinda hit and play some D.
    And who's that?

Early in the season, I think the Jasons have a better chance to contribute than the waived players. None of them (Bartlett, Kubel, Presley, Parmelee) is a long-term answer. I also think, given the young/old mix of this team, that these moves make sense to balance the number of minimum-experience guys playing regularly. It might all backfire, who knows? But if it does and you end up releasing Kubel or Bartlett as part of a youth movement, that becomes more palatable than removing "unproven but young" players like Presley or Parmelee for the completely untested young'uns.

I think this is completely a decision to have some experience in the lineup versus the thick stack of AAAA players that everyone thinks is just about to break out if we'd only give them a full season of at-bats. There is, essentially, no one blocking anyone on this team.

And I also think we'll find our 4th OF on the waiver wire in the coming days, moving Bartlett off the team or AAA when Florimon is back to playing every day. Is anyone really convinced that Alex Presley is the best we could do in that role? I'd rather have the open slots on the 40-man...

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    What is this "young old mix" you speak of? I'd bet this is one of the older teams in baseball now. They have three 2nd year players and a bunch of veterans. There isn't some young old mix that needs mentoring. And, as I pointed out, if they add more young players, Bartlett is one of the first guys probably gone, so who is he mentoring?
    Lighten up Francis....

17. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014)

I have a hunch the decision to keep Bartlett is related to the illness and reduced role of Terry Ryan. Can't prove it, just my gut feeling......if TR was completely in charge and engaged he would not allow Gardy to keep Bartlett. On the other hand, TR probably wouldn't cut bait on Presley and Parmalee either.

I've thought Gardy had more say on roster construction during the Bill Smith era, and with Antony almost the interim GM we once again have a Manager with more tenure and clout than the GM. I don't think roster construction is one of Gardy's strengths.

19. These 2 users like ossieO's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (03-27-2014), Kwak (03-27-2014)

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,904 Times in 1,113 Posts
    I hope that Parker is able to change himself into a fly, or put on his invisibility cape, in order to listen into some of whatever is being discussed down in 'the Fort' right now.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    There could be a waiver claim in the works. I *think* it's necessary to have an open spot when you make the waiver claim, not just wait and open up the spot if the claim goes through; that would explain the timing. The wait is due to there being the potential of another team ranking "higher" (in reverse order of standings last October) putting in a claim before the time is up.
    Yes that's correct. The Strohs had to DFA Valdez before claiming Presley. But according to Wikipedia

If a team claims a player off waivers and has a viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim...
    so its possible to get a deal done before the end of the 3rd day, if a team really likes a guy and makes a good trade offer.

Maybe with two open 40 man spots now the Twins will interject if anyone really interesting hits the waiver wire and someone in the division (except the White Sox) tries to do that, the Twins will butt in just for blocking purposes.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 03-27-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    I never really understood "experience in the lineup", when said experienced players are not good. Exactly what skill-set and knowledge is Bartlett bringing to the team that our coaches shouldn't already be able to teach the young players? I can see the arguments merit if we were talking someone like Thome or even a situation like Suzuki to help Pinto with game calling, but Jason Bartlett? C'mon.

I meant Presley, but you make a good point.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbun View Post
    If nothing else this should serve as a reminder that whatever he may say to the contrary, Gardy gets quite a bit of say about the roster. He might not always get some young guys called up as soon as he might like, but they give him most of what he wants.
    It might be interesting to attempt to add a "say-so" Spring Training curve for the Twins Manager. In actuality, Gardy expressed public discontent that he had had no say-so in the first round of cuts when Meyer and Buxton were sent down, meanwhile implying that his opinion would have more weight heading into this week. Since guys like Meyer and Buxton carry severe implicatiions regarding the starting their service clocks, it's logical that Gardy would have more sway when choosing "good clubhouse" veterans over marginal guys later in the process. I stated back before ST that I expected the Twins would try to sneak Diamond and Parmelee through waivers and that Kubel and Bartlett were going to make the club- Gardy was firmly supportive of the latter 2 throughout the process, and Gibson's performance just forced his hand. But he's also been Florimon's biggest backer, as well, meaning there still isn't a real rationale for having Bartlett around, despite cutting Presley. (Did Arcia preserve his spot with his better play this week?) Conclusion: there's a ML move coming AND/OR Florimon is going on the DL.

I don't think I'm giving away any secrets that this team will be offensively challenged this year. After all, we've scored somewhere in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in all of spring training this year. Given that. Wouldn't you want your bench to have as much pop as possible? Granted, there aren't many great options, but surely, Parm offers more offensively than Bartlett. Well, I'll still watch, but I sure won't pay to go watch.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gocgo View Post
    I don't think I'm giving away any secrets that this team will be offensively challenged this year. After all, we've scored somewhere in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in all of spring training this year.
    2nd to last, as of yesterday. Behind... the Red Sox.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast