Thread: Alex Presley claimed off waivers by Astros

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Now my whole world is gone for dead.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

2. This user likes USAFChief's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Liked 1,297 Times in 750 Posts
    Since Nick Nelson hasn't posted here, I'll share a series of tweets from him:

• Nick Nelson ‏@nnelson9 14m
      Ultimately it's a lot of hand-wringing over what should be a little-used last spot on bench, but Twins' evaluation of Bartlett baffles me.

• Has shown no ability to hit in 4 years, hasn't played any OF in his career, but he's a good utility man because he's an "athlete"? Huh?

• Bartlett may have athleticism/aptitude to play all 3 OF spots, but has literally zero professional experience playing any of them in 12 yrs.

• I wasn't any huge fan of Presley, but it's not like he's unathletic. He's 6 years younger. And he has actually hit in the majors lately.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

• Nick Nelson ‏@nnelson9 14m
      Ultimately it's a lot of hand-wringing over what should be a little-used last spot on bench, but Twins' evaluation of Bartlett baffles me.
    Nick's not arguing it, but others are: I thoroughly dislike the "it's only the 25th spot" counter-argument. If the 25th spot matters that little how about we just have 24? If not, then it does matter.

I'd argue it matters even more when you are running out a lineup with this many question marks. I'm not ready to judge this move completely yet until the 40 man dust settles, but let's not pretend this roster spot is utterly unimportant either.

5. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ossieO View Post
    I have a hunch the decision to keep Bartlett is related to the illness and reduced role of Terry Ryan. Can't prove it, just my gut feeling......if TR was completely in charge and engaged he would not allow Gardy to keep Bartlett. On the other hand, TR probably wouldn't cut bait on Presley and Parmalee either.

I've thought Gardy had more say on roster construction during the Bill Smith era, and with Antony almost the interim GM we once again have a Manager with more tenure and clout than the GM. I don't think roster construction is one of Gardy's strengths.
    Are you implying that the problems weren't caused by Bill Smith?--That Gardenhire was culpable? Blasphemy! Heresy!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    I don't claim any inside knowledge. But I'll offer this scenario for Bartlett & Kubel sticking despite their respective springs. There were a lot of rumblings about apathy in the clubhouse and a general failure to approach the game the 'Twins Way' last season. Maybe there here as much to try an install the right attitude on to our current roster as for their playing ability. Mauer's leadership skills are what they are. Gardy might just feel these guys are needed to bring back a necessary edge to the team.

8. These 2 users like mudcat14's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Halsey Hall (03-27-2014), Reider (03-27-2014)

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Nick's not arguing it, but others are: I thoroughly dislike the "it's only the 25th spot" counter-argument. If the 25th spot matters that little how about we just have 24? If not, then it does matter.

I'd argue it matters even more when you are running out a lineup with this many question marks. I'm not ready to judge this move completely yet until the 40 man dust settles, but let's not pretend this roster spot is utterly unimportant either.
    Concur. Particularly in these days of 12 and 13 man pitching staffs.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

10. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014), TheLeviathan (03-27-2014)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bartlett and Kubel have no business on this or any major league roster, but I don't care. What's scary is there is no CF depth with the active roster, and no defensive sub, no pinch runner. Add to it, left field is as statuesque as right field, and this is currently one bad fielding outfield.

I hope there is a trade in the works, otherwise RA is banking on Arcia, Kubel, Willingham, and Mauer to hit home runs every at bat.

on the bright side, I wanted Arcia and Hicks to play every day, looks like I will get my wish.

Maybe there is a leadership/return to roots aspect here. I don't know. But unless Bartlett is swinging the Elder Wand at the plate, I don't see this going well. Presley was young, could play center, and showed an ability to hit the ball at a mediocre clip. Ugh.

13. This user likes CK's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    on the bright side, I wanted Arcia and Hicks to play every day, looks like I will get my wish.
    Sincerely, thank you. This is a small bright spot.

It is a little sad when your $20M + catcher turned first baseman provides so little leadership that you need to bring Bartlett and Kubel back to help change the culture in the clubhouse!
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 03-27-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: needless personal shot

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    I don't see how this is Joe Mauer's fault in any capacity. Mauer is what he is. He's not some rah-rah guy, and even if he was, all the yelling in the world isn't going to make this lineup any more impressive. If the issue is a change of culture in the clubhouse, I think the natural first step is replacing the people in charge of the clubhouse, but thats a topic for another thread.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    a topic for another thread.
    Moderator's note: Amen.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Wait ... Parms wasn't on waivers, was he? I hadn't heard that. Hadn't heard that Presley was either, for that matter.

And with Florimon questionable to start the season and likely going to extended ST because of his appendectomy, I guess Bartlett makes the team as a super-utility player, both backup to infield and CF?
    If the Twins were considering Florimon staying back, they wouldn't have played him in major league exhibition games. They would have to either disable him or option him (if he has any options). If they wanted to give him an extra week to get readym, they could have played him in minor league games, and disabled him retroactively.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to agree with the general tenor of this thread. I projected Presley on the team and Bartlett gone because it just didn't make sense to get rid of a a center field asset. In the end, it came down to Gardy, who didn't like Presley's inability to steal bases. Antony is reported to have said he left the last few roster spots up to Gardy. That's just great. I have a hard time believing Ryan would allow them to let Presley go a year after they suffered through a dearth of center field depth with a struggling rookie.

I have a higher opinion of Bartlett than most. But I still think Presley is more valuable to this team and in general. This move baffles me.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

20. These 2 users like cmathewson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dman (03-28-2014), LaBombo (03-27-2014)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    The main issue isn't that the twins chose the last two spots on the roster with kubel and Bartlett, the main problem is that they had Parmelee, Pressley, kubel, colloblo, Worley, diamond and Bartlett to choose from for said last two spots.

Throw a dart: none of those players are anything close to a sure thing and all have plenty of warts. As much as I absolutely love what the twins brought in pitching wise, they frankly failed completely supplementing the offense up until this point. How they don't sign Drew or Morales is baffling to me. My Dad who only casually follows the Twins put it best at the spring training game we attended last week "this is going to be a long year, it is the exact same offense to a T as last year"

Kubel and Bartlett aren't ideal, but honestly... Can anyone say that pressly or parm are any better??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post

Kubel and Bartlett aren't ideal, but honestly... Can anyone say that pressly or parm are any better??
    Maybe better as players.

Liked 1,681 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    It's not so much the certainty that they would be but rather the unlikeliness of Kubel and Bartlett still contributing anything when the games start to matter again.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    If we slot him in CF, we can have a Willingham/Delmon/Kubel outfield. At the very least we'd get a few laughs every game to lighten the mood.
    I fully support this
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBombo View Post
    It's not so much the certainty that they would be but rather the unlikeliness of Kubel and Bartlett still contributing anything when the games start to matter again.
    It is unlikely that any of the bottom group Dave mentioned would be contributing when the games start to matter again. I do not think it unreasonable to say 1/2 of the position players won't be here when the games start to matter.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind the Kubel flier, and they didn't lose Parmelee, so no big deal. Bartlett, meh. But if the Twins really wanted to get the band back together, I personally would have preferred Hardy and Gomez to Bartlett and Kubel.

27. These 2 users like AM.'s post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (03-28-2014), USAFChief (03-28-2014)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast