Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 128

Thread: Jason Bartlett

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    605
    Like
    11
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

    Jason Bartlett

    I have no idea how Jason Bartlett made this team. When I looked at his spring training stats and it looks even worse, 3 hits in 38 AB's is good enough to make the club? The bigger joke is him being a super utility and back up CF.
    I hate to start such a negative post, but how could there not be any better players on waivers than Jason Bartlett.

  2. #2
    There aren't any guys that Gardy is so deeply in love with. Except maybe Kubel. If the club is going to lose 100 games, I'd rather it be with young players that were maybe rushed a little bit than "proven veterans" with AA-caliber skills.

  3. #3
    Not saying he's going to be representing the American League at Target Field in July, but give the guy a chance in real games. He's hardly played in two years. I hope the same people that blew off Hicks' hot spring last year as "only spring training" (you were right by the way) aren't the same people destroying Kubel and Bartlett for their springs this year. Maybe they won't come around, but they were both very good hitters before - let's see if they can do it again!

  4. These 2 users like nathanaakre's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    birdwatcher (03-27-2014), stringer bell (03-27-2014)

  5. #4
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanaakre View Post
    Not saying he's going to be representing the American League at Target Field in July, but give the guy a chance in real games. He's hardly played in two years. I hope the same people that blew off Hicks' hot spring last year as "only spring training" (you were right by the way) aren't the same people destroying Kubel and Bartlett for their springs this year. Maybe they won't come around, but they were both very good hitters before - let's see if they can do it again!
    Other than in 2009, Bartlett has never been good.

    Kubel is in freefall.

    These are bad roster decisions.

  6. These 3 users like Shane Wahl's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    darin617 (03-27-2014), prairiejack (03-28-2014), Spikecurveball (03-27-2014)

  7. #5
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Other than in 2009, Bartlett has never been good.

    Kubel is in freefall.

    These are bad roster decisions.
    Given the material to work with, what would the good roster decisions have been?

  8. These 3 users like crarko's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    birdwatcher (03-27-2014), Seth Stohs (03-27-2014), tobi0040 (03-27-2014)

  9. #6
    The problem isn't "giving them a chance" The problem is there is a finite number of roster positions and the players who lost them to Kubel and Bartlett have a brighter future even if they're not perennial starters.

    Id rather be young and ugly with the opportunity to get better then old and ugly and stuck in neutral.

    I hope I'm wrong but this maybe one of those errors in decision making.

  10. #7
    Gardy is just setting up to bring Nick Punto back. Losing 90 games and getting an extension, he going for 100 loses and a lifetime contract.

  11. #8
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    If you want to know why people are down on him, look at his stats the last three years....this isn't an untested rookie. He's closer to my age than Buxton's age.
    Lighten up Francis....

  12. #9
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,861
    Like
    181
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    Given the material to work with, what would the good roster decisions have been?
    Sign better ones?

    I don't get how people think there is some way to wiggle out of this for the Twins. These options stink. These are the options the Twins chose to go with into ST. No matter how you slice it the roster looks woefully unprepared.

  13. #10

  14. #11
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    197
    Like
    2
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    No matter how you slice it the roster looks woefully unprepared.
    They're very prepared...





























    ...for another top draft pick!


  15. These 3 users like S.'s post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Danchat (03-27-2014), mike wants wins (03-27-2014), sandbun (03-28-2014)

  16. #12
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    995
    Like
    195
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boomerb5 View Post
    There aren't any guys that Gardy is so deeply in love with. Except maybe Kubel. If the club is going to lose 100 games, I'd rather it be with young players that were maybe rushed a little bit than "proven veterans" with AA-caliber skills.
    Funny, because Gardy hated him when we had Castro. Wonder what he did in a year and a half to earn Gardy's unconditional love.

  17. #13
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Sign better ones?

    I don't get how people think there is some way to wiggle out of this for the Twins. These options stink. These are the options the Twins chose to go with into ST. No matter how you slice it the roster looks woefully unprepared.
    A couple of weeks ago people had Gibson, Pinto, Hicks and Arcia all going to AAA. We now get to see them. Yup, it's going to take time to prepare them. That's not the end of the world.

  18. #14
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,149
    Like
    102
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Other than in 2009, Bartlett has never been good.

    Kubel is in freefall.

    These are bad roster decisions.
    He was at least a league average ss in 2006 to 2008 and 2010. I actually think he has better odds of starting next year than parmelee or pressley did. or even florimon. even at 35 and that is sad.
    Last edited by tobi0040; 03-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.

  19. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    423
    Like
    70
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I predicted that Bartlett would make the team before spring training started. After watching him in Spring training I was hoping that I was going to be wrong about that. I hate to go negative but I am with most posters who believe there had to be better options than JB.

    Maybe a good club house guy is just what this teams needs? I don't know what else to say.

  20. #16
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,861
    Like
    181
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    A couple of weeks ago people had Gibson, Pinto, Hicks and Arcia all going to AAA. We now get to see them. Yup, it's going to take time to prepare them. That's not the end of the world.
    None of those players have anything to do with this. We were going to get to see them regardless of this.

  21. #17
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    None of those players have anything to do with this. We were going to get to see them regardless of this.
    I hope you have an enjoyable season in your own way. I plan to.

  22. #18
    Junior Member Rookie
    Posts
    22
    Like
    0
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Jason Bartlett made the team for a few reasons in my opinion:

    1)He apparently is versatile defensively, although I haven't seen enough of him play anywhere besides shortstop to verify that myself so I have to trust those who have been watching him daily

    2)He is essentially another coach who will help teach the younger players the "Twins Way". That phrase has brought nothing but scorn and laughter the past few years, but Bartlett was around when it actually existed, was something to be proud of, and something to strive for. This is the same reason that guys like TK and Guardado are brought in for spring training instructors.

    3)He knows and is comfortable with his role. He is the 25th man. Very little is expected offensively from the 25th man on any team in MLB. What is expected is someone who is professional and is ready to go that once(maybe twice) a week when someone needs a break or gets hurt. Otherwise they essentially rot on the bench. I would rather have that position be filled with an expendable veteran than a young player who still has room to grow and truly would rot if left on the bench. Chris Hermann, Danny Santana, and some of those guys that are close need to play.

    So, basically I think Bartlett(and Kubel to a lesser extent) are great guys to have on the bench-so long at that's where they are. If Bartlett plays sparingly than I think it is great. If Gardenhire develops a Punto-ish crush on him and plays him daily then I will agree that it makes no sense. Only time will tell.

  23. These 2 users like zwiefz's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    amjgt (03-27-2014), birdwatcher (03-27-2014)

  24. #19
    Senior Member All-Star crarko's Avatar
    Posts
    1,228
    Twitter
    @crarko
    Like
    156
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zwiefz View Post
    Jason Bartlett made the team for a few reasons in my opinion:

    1)He apparently is versatile defensively, although I haven't seen enough of him play anywhere besides shortstop to verify that myself so I have to trust those who have been watching him daily

    2)He is essentially another coach who will help teach the younger players the "Twins Way". That phrase has brought nothing but scorn and laughter the past few years, but Bartlett was around when it actually existed, was something to be proud of, and something to strive for. This is the same reason that guys like TK and Guardado are brought in for spring training instructors.

    3)He knows and is comfortable with his role. He is the 25th man. Very little is expected offensively from the 25th man on any team in MLB. What is expected is someone who is professional and is ready to go that once(maybe twice) a week when someone needs a break or gets hurt. Otherwise they essentially rot on the bench. I would rather have that position be filled with an expendable veteran than a young player who still has room to grow and truly would rot if left on the bench. Chris Hermann, Danny Santana, and some of those guys that are close need to play.

    So, basically I think Bartlett(and Kubel to a lesser extent) are great guys to have on the bench-so long at that's where they are. If Bartlett plays sparingly than I think it is great. If Gardenhire develops a Punto-ish crush on him and plays him daily then I will agree that it makes no sense. Only time will tell.
    Yeah, Bartlett is more or less this year's Jamie Carroll.

  25. #20
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Which young players is he going to teach? Plouffe? Floriman? Dozier? Mauer? Suzuki? Kubel? Willingham? that is 7/9 of your starters......who are these mythical young players on the roster?
    Lighten up Francis....

  26. These 2 users like mike wants wins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    alskntwnsfn (03-28-2014), notoriousgod71 (03-27-2014)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.