Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Blue v. Snakes in Oz

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts

Blue v. Snakes in Oz

Where I'm at, it's 9:00PM and just got done watch the Season Opener. Nice to see live ball at a reasonable time (4PM start, Beijing time) for once!

As an expat who is always looking for the game in China (just made friends with a Korean amateur league here- they even had a Wok on the field for the post-game chow down!) I am very excited to see MLB making the effort to grow the game.

Still, I wonder if I'm alone in this view... there was no game thread for this one- I know, not a Twins game, but... Time difference, weekend, hangovers all factors...?

The Twins have been pretty aggressive/ahead of the curve in scouting the ABL, and have benefited a la Balfour, etc. (less a la Hendriks) so I would hope that their league is firmly on our radar.

The game seems to be growing fast, and with this series (sellout crowds for both games) deepening roots in Oz. ABL is definitely watchable, (Australia beat Arizona 5-0 yesterday- Oz had great pitching) and their November-January season is a good fix for the hotstove jones.

Better yet, ol' Scully and MLB-types seem to have made a good effort at representing the game while also respecting national sensitivities. For the Aussies' part, they voted with their feet and seem to have belief in the future of the sport Down Under: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/embracin...321-hvkvw.html

So, I'm interested to know what the reaction is back in Twins Territory- a big deal for the future of the game, or a whole lotta meh?
    Last edited by BigTrane; 03-22-2014 at 07:02 AM.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I caught the last two innings. Evidently there was a rain delay?

The back half of the Dodger bullpen is just silly.

The event is cool but the other 28 teams have 9 days of spring training left so the fact that this one counts is kinda weird. But I think the main thing is it started at 3 AM CDT so the timing couldn't have been worse for many of us.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No Matt Kemp and Carl Crawford.

Senior Member Triple-A
    I was expecting a walkoff for the Mehs, but great to see some response!

@ Willihammer: there was a 14-minute delay, but no actual showers.

I agree that it's unfair as far as scheduling goes, but that alone has made a big and positive impression on the Aussies. Long-term vs. short-term tradeoff. Anyway, Kershaw did what you'd expect, it was a good game, and considering the Grienke PR gaffe, you couldn't hope for a better turnout and result.

Consider:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/major-le...322-hvlme.html
    Versus:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz...228-33r5b.html

This could have been a total mess, but so far, so good. Big win for MLB.

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    I'm glad MLB teams can play a couple games in different nations in an attempt to spread the game and it broaden it's influence. It a great reach out plan and must be fun for the players, I wish my work brought me to Japan, Australia or China so I could work there for a few days. I'm also glad it wasn't the Twins who were playing, I don't like see lost Minnesota/ Minneapolis tax revenue when teams get to play home games somewhere else.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Don't know that tax $ were spent in doing this... sounds like the Australian promoter fronted the whole effort and made a small profit.

Still, you're right that baseball and economics are joined at the hip, and there is a one-two punch going on down there: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australi...322-hvllo.html

Everything translates, somehow...

Senior Member Triple-A
    ...and so the Mehs have it, by an easy margin.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I'm in particular not a fan of this, and a stronger players union may address this next CBA. This is the sort of series I would enjoy greatly in lieu of an All Star game (I know - I'm crazy on that point). The Japanese league is what it is in popularity and establishment because of the foreign tours Babe Ruth and others of the era went on to promote the game. Mays, Aaron, and the like also took similar tours in the 50s as a way to show our new partnership with the Japanese after WWII (though multiple players refused to travel to Japan because of the war).

I'd rather see such things done in the offseason as a tour for players to expand the game rather than using regular season games, each of which is incredibly important. Greinke was only saying what so many players have said off of the record and has been reported by nearly every major sports network since the overseas games to start the season began. No allowances are given to a team to start early so their players have the same preparation time before the first game as the other 28 teams get, which is a disadvantage certainly. The players then return to play a week of spring training games again before starting their regular season up again.

I'm not sure how it's done, but something else should be done, whether it's an all-star tour each winter rather than these regular season games so far ahead of the regular season or playing the overseas games in midseason with some creative scheduling. I've always thought the World Baseball Classic should be played in July rather than February/March for the safety of the players and better participation of the best players. What team wants to allow their $30M per season player to participate in an event that truly brings them less money than gate receipts from an average game (per the Yankee comparison of the last WBC income per team compared to an average game receipt)?

I'm probably coming off as some elitist that doesn't want the game spread or a world influence into the game, and that's the farthest from the truth. I just think it can be done better.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    It has been great to have MLB in our backyard. They did an amazing job of transforming the SCG and local media has really embraced it. Yes, the travel and scheduling is tough but I honestly don't think it is going to materially impact the players or the season as a whole.

in the scheme of things it probably doesn't do that much commercially or developmentally for the league, but from a purely selfish perspective I got to go out on a Saturday night and watch Clayton Kershaw with some friends, instead of having to huddlie around a tv or computer screen which is how i get my Twins fix, and that was pretty cool.

10. This user likes SydneyTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Willihammer (03-22-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other thing is that the past few Opening Days have had about as much excitement as a wet fart. Maybe I'm in the minority but I want to see a Sunday Night feature game in Cincinnatti against the Cubs or the Cardinals or something. With the Cinci parade coverage and everything.

Nothing against baseball in Australia (I think its great) but I I would schedule the game any other time so as not to interfere with what could be, and I think should be, a more special occasion.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    I was expecting a walkoff for the Mehs, but great to see some response!

@ Willihammer: there was a 14-minute delay, but no actual showers.

I agree that it's unfair as far as scheduling goes, but that alone has made a big and positive impression on the Aussies. Long-term vs. short-term tradeoff. Anyway, Kershaw did what you'd expect, it was a good game, and considering the Grienke PR gaffe, you couldn't hope for a better turnout and result.

Consider:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/major-le...322-hvlme.html
    Versus:
    http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz...228-33r5b.html

This could have been a total mess, but so far, so good. Big win for MLB.
    So you watch some of the Twins afternoon games after midnight and night games at 7 a.m.?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Exactly. Weekends are ok since I'm a night owl, but during the week, it's really tough.
    Worse still for the night games, most classes I teach are at 10:30 AM, so I get about 2/3 of the way through, then have to bail. While teaching, I'm thinking about the game, then come home to leftovers. Forget game threads!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Watching an exhibition game of the Astros and Rangers playing in San Antonio this a.m. On mlb network. Expansive OF. If I were the Astros I would play a couple of games there during the regular season.
    Last edited by thetank; 03-30-2014 at 10:17 AM.