Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabrera gets extension from Tigers

Cabrera gets extension from Tigers

So the Tigers have added 8 years and $248 million to the 2 years and $44 million they already owed Miguel Cabrera. I know he's been one of the best (if not the best) hitters over the past 8-10 years, but this seems like the type of contract that will give the Tigers a lot of headaches starting about 5-6 years from now.

I love watching Cabrera hit, but this sounds like good news for the Twins. Hopefully this contract will be an albatross for the Tigers during the prime years of Sano, Buxton, Meyer, etc.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    This seems to be the newest Albert Pujols deal. Simply crazy!
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    According to Twitter Land, this is very unpopular with the execs of other clubs.

Maybe Mike Illitch is trying to reduce the value of the club for estate tax purposes.

4. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (03-27-2014)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love that move for the Twins. This takes care of Cabrera's age 31 to 41 seasons. Also he has vesting options for his age 42 and 43 seasons. And this is not a player who will age well... Think Mo Vaughn and Ryan Howard.

Just love it.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Yowza.

That's all I've got.

Liked 90 Times in 36 Posts
    Your move, Mike Trout.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Holy balls.

9. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (03-28-2014)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My heart goes out to Tigers fans

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Perhaps Illitch should have just left him the deed to the franchise in his will. Or maybe he did.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is really odd.
    If Cabrera's agent was committed to getting the highest per year salary ever then the team could have protected themselves better than this.

$32 Million/year for 5 years, with team options after that?
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 51 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The craziest part is that Cabrera's monster deal likely means the Tigers won't be able to resign Max Scherzer in the coming offseason. Scherzer would look good in a Twins uniform...

14. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (03-29-2014)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Awful deal. He hit well last year but already looked to be starting to break down.

Though I also thought the Prince Fielder contract was bad and they somehow managed to wiggle out of that one.

Any way, this certainly doesn't bode well for the Twins chances of keeping any potential superstar in the coming years. The Twins got their stadium so they would be able to afford the going rate for star players of the time and now the bar is raised again, likely out of their reach.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    That Ellsbury deal looks better and better.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 273 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    The craziest part is that Cabrera's monster deal likely means the Tigers won't be able to resign Max Scherzer in the coming offseason. Scherzer would look good in a Twins uniform...
    They approached Max first and he rejected 6 - 144. Personally, seems like a reasonable offer for him and he is taking on a lot of risk. He has only really been good two years and could get hurt this year.

Regarding the contract. Will this look really bad when he is 38, 39? Of course and they have to know that. But what you have is an owner who is a huge sports fan. He owns the Tigers and Red Wings. He is the founder of a company that is making money hand over fist (Little Caesars). He is worth almost $2.7B and he really, really wants to win a championship before he passes away. This team loses money every year and I would not expect the Twins to do that, but I am jealous.

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    My heart goes out to Tigers fans
    Mine doesn't. At all. Ever.

They aren't quite White Sox fans, but they're close.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    All of these arguments are the same as every other 200+M contract. Or Mauer's contract.

This is the price that you are going to pay for adding/retaining an elite player and it doesn't spell any doom for the Tigers.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    Wonder if you will say this after he posts a 9-13 record with a 4.56 ERA this season
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Harumpphh. Same ole sour grapes from Twins fans about somebody else's contract. Anybody consider the inflation factor for the next ten years? Or that this contract may be capitalized and depreciated--serving as a giant tax break? I don't recall any backlash from Twins fans (ya know those true fans!) considering the Mauer contract, so why on Cabrera? Anybody who eats (their) pizza deserves what they get.

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    All of these arguments are the same as every other 200+M contract. Or Mauer's contract. This is the price that you are going to pay for adding/retaining an elite player and it doesn't spell any doom for the Tigers.
    He was under contract for two more years. They signed him to a ridiculously long deal at least a year before they had to, and they got no discount for doing so. The Pujols and Hamilton contracts might doom the Angels, and this one doesn't look any better.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    He was under contract for two more years. They signed him to a ridiculously long deal at least a year before they had to, and they got no discount for doing so. The Pujols and Hamilton contracts might doom the Angels, and this one doesn't look any better.
    You don't get discounts for extensions for elite players 1-2 years from FA. The Twins didn't with Mauer. The M's didn't with felix. the Reds didn't with votto. The Dodgers didn't with Kershaw.

What the Tigers got was a guarantee to keep Miguel. Some teams would be willing to move on and not lock into the decline years but the tigers have silly money to spend and this isn't going to doom them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast